Mike

What would you hypothetically build? Now with more CTS-V

Rate this topic:

667 posts in this topic

Version 3 was closer, but a bit small inside the opening.
https://www.ctsvowners.com/forum/attachments/133058-2009-gray-v-sedan-img_3585.jpg

https://www.ctsvowners.com/forum/attachments/133060-2009-gray-v-sedan-img_3588.jpg

I made a version 4 and it was even better, but ended up sticking out of the dash by .135".  I don't have a picture of it installed.
So, that led to version 5.  To this point I had been printing with PLA plastic.  It's the basic stuff that's easy to print, but it can get soft on a hot day inside a car.  So I knew I was going to need something better.  I printed the 5th part out of PTEG which apparently is similar to water bottle and can withstand 185F before it gets soft.  This was my first print in PETG.  It printed decent, but a little stringy.  If it doesn't show up in pics, it's got some plastic hair all over that is easily removed.  Overall I like the fit and it should be a good material.  This one is going in the car as a working part.  I just have to wire everything up this weekend.
https://www.ctsvowners.com/forum/attachments/133066-2009-gray-v-sedan-img_3596.jpg

https://www.ctsvowners.com/forum/attachments/133068-2009-gray-v-sedan-img_3597.jpg

5 times the charm?

https://www.ctsvowners.com/forum/attachments/133070-2009-gray-v-sedan-img_3598.jpg

Mike, the CTSV forum images aren't showing up. They need to end in .jpg instead of php to display here. You can directly attached them, or if the images are on your phone, use tapatalk to post them.

On 1/21/2019 at 4:55 PM, Disney said:

That's awesome! a 3D printer is on my short list.

I'm using a Creality Ender 3.  It's about $192 shipped to your door.

Tino and Disney like this

I don't know if I needed a phone holder in my car or if I need another project.  Probably both.

My car has the faux carbon trim in the dash.  This section is very short.

Trim removed.

IMG_3679.JPG

Trim piece that normally goes there.

IMG_3682.JPG

I modeled it up with an added "gopro" type mount.

dash trim.jpg

Printed.

IMG_3678.JPG

Holy crap it snaps into place just like the trim.  I need to rotate the gopro part about 9 degrees.

IMG_3681.JPG

Now I need a dock for the phone.  It's setup so the charging cable locks into it and fits with my case on the phone.  It's printing now.

phone mount.jpgphone dock top view.jpg

slim_9916, 66sprint6 and mstrpth like this

No updates lately.  I finished the phone holder and tested on a 1400 mile trip to Daytona Beach, FL for the 24@daytona.

My front wheels came in.  18x7’s so I can run a more streetable front tire and tpms sensors.

4D82819E-E7C0-47A3-976E-8F98B461234D.jpeg

96B3D23D-A322-4AFD-8347-D29700740DF7.jpeg

I also bought a cheap windows tablet to use for logging at the track.  I got a small Bluetooth keyboard to go with it.  I’m going to make a mount for where my phone is now.  I’ll probably upgrade my hp tuners to the mpvi2 so I can log over Bluetooth.

265241A7-6259-436C-A6CE-C97F1B219C1F.jpeg

D2E980BD-5D2C-43DC-97B5-CCD01E796502.jpeg

66sprint6, mstrpth, Tino and 1 other like this

Nice, Mike! :up: 

Btw, when do you need the converter by?

If your not in a hurry, I’ll just bring it along when we do the trans swap.

Should be a god core for a custom Circle D build. :yes: 

Not in the way....

It’s sitting with the trans core anyway.

Still waiting on the Tim King 6L90 to ship.

I thought he already had one built and it would ship the day I ordered it, but he later told me he had to build it.

No biggie though. :up: 

The tablet thing is a smart idea. :yes:

Better than buying a bunch of gauges and trying to mount them all.

I'm not one to drill holes in my dash to mount them. :no:

What all are you displaying on the tablet?

I need boost psi, fuel pressure and I'd at least like knock displayed.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

The tablet thing is a smart idea. :yes:

Better than buying a bunch of gauges and trying to mount them all.

I'm not one to drill holes in my dash to mount them. :no:

What all are you displaying on the tablet?

I need boost psi, fuel pressure and I'd at least like knock displayed.

It’s HP tuners scanner, so anything you log you can display as a gauge.  The tablet runs windows 10 and I loaded hp tuners on it.  I can tune and datalog with it.  I bought a Bluetooth keyboard with it too.

JohnC and Tino like this

I got the car re-tuned yesterday. It had been 2 years since it was tuned previously and I had made a few changes that I only moderately accounted for in the tune. Since adding the flex fuel stuff I had not put ethanol in it yet, so this was a chance to tune that also. As a big plus, the trans tune was completely re-done and it drives like a different car. The tuner was great, he taught me a bit about how to adjust things in the trans tune with his strategy and I was able to learn some about the engine tuning also.

The first pull on the dyno was as is with the tune I ran my previous best of 10.27@133 in. It made 631rwhp like that with the same 16 degrees of timing I saw at the track. The tuner added a little timing and we iced it down and got 666rwhp  on 93. Then I added ~15 gallons of ethanol to the mostly empty tank and got it up to e67. It made a best of 713hp/682tq like that. So I picked up about 75 hp total from where I was last fall and 47 from 93 max e67. 

There were two disappointments. First was some issue with fueling on e85. A/F's were perfect on 93, so switching to E it should have stayed very close. On the e runs it would consistently start a little fat, and trail off to 6% lean at the end. We looked at and tried things for 3 hours and could not get a tune that would be happy on both E and 93, so for now I have a different E tune with the maf curve faked in to get the a/f right on E. I have a list of things to trouble shoot to figure out the root cause of the problem. Could be bad fuel, could be a bum flex sensor, maybe a line restriction or it could be something still missing in a table somewhere. The pump is supplying the fuel and pressure is solid, the injector dc is under 80, it just isn't putting in the fuel volume the ecm thinks it is. This wasn't an issue on 93.
Second, he had to add a lot of oncoming volume for the 2-3 shift, indicating that pack is worn. The trans has ~100 passes with ~70 of them in the 10's. It's time for a refresh. I've been kinda planning that for a few months. The tuning confirmed it's getting close. I'm going to rebuild it with a friend, so I'll document that here.

IMG_E4106.JPG

JohnC, Ashley P, 66sprint6 and 3 others like this

WOW (again).  Sweet car.

Care to tell how "his tuning strategy" relates to other strategies?  I look forward to the rebuild documentation since I'm way behind on GM trans tech after 12 years out of the dealer.

That’s really hard to type out.  It could probably be a small book.  The gm 6,8,10 speed auto’s are clutch to clutch transmissions.  Ie: they have to release a clutch then engage another to change gears.  The timing of those two events it complicated.  Fluid movement takes some time.  So things have to start happening on the engage clutch before the release happens.  Add on top of that different engine rpm acceleration rates and it gets complicated.

Basically my first tune was just using increased pressure to make the fluid move quicker.  The new tune is doing everything based on time.  It’s anticipating the shift many hundreds of rpm in advance of the desired shift rpm.  And adjusting the volumes of fluid entering and leaving clutch packs before shifts start.

He also just changed some basic settings to make it feel more like a built th400.  It shifts quicker in part throttle, but not harsh.  Before it felt kinda slushy and lazy.

No more rev matching on downhifts.  You really don’t even feel downshifts anymore.  Before I hated the downshifting.

Ashley P and JohnC like this

Bluecat in Kentucky.  The guy that makes the hp tuners software tools for VVE and the auto trans tuning.  He doesn’t really take in customers off the street anymore.  I had a friend of a friend hook me up with him.  The guy is incredibly experienced and smart with the 6L80/90.

Disney and slim_9916 like this

I'd read before that they were clutch to clutch, and thus very sensitive.  Neat you got the hook up on the tuner.

4 hours ago, Mike said:

Bluecat in Kentucky.  The guy that makes the hp tuners software tools for VVE and the auto trans tuning.  He doesn’t really take in customers off the street anymore.  I had a friend of a friend hook me up with him.  The guy is incredibly experienced and smart with the 6L80/90.

Man, that's like scoring the lucky lotto of tuners. Awesome! :up:

And gzzzzzzzz....

You ran 10.2 @ 133 mph at 4400lbs with 631rwhp!

So with a good tune at 4100lbs and 760 rwhp on a slick, WTF will mine run? A high 9? :fear:

Disney likes this