Mike

What would you hypothetically build? Now with more CTS-V

Rate this topic:

593 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Mike said:

Yes, stock converter 

So you are in agreement with me how ridic that 60' is. Stock gear, stock converter, no weight reduction. etc. etc. There were tubbed out 5K rpm converter cars back in the day that couldn't 60 like that!

Ashley P, 66sprint6 and JohnC like this

It will go faster with e85.  I can’t hit it with much timing down low on 93.  The guys that have tried aftermarket converters usually break everything behind the trans.

The fastest 6L90 car runs an 8.97@155 with a 1.37 60’ still full weight and still with a stock converter.  It's pretty decent.

Disney and 66sprint6 like this

The CTSV converter is I think an 1800rpm stall speed.  Which is a couple hundred higher than a stock camaro or G8 converter in the 6L80e.  The big helper is that 1st gear is 4.027:1.  That combined with the big torque of at PD blower is what gets these 4500lb barges moving.

JohnC, Disney and 66sprint6 like this

I'm impressed by every aspect, especially the guts of the entire drivetrain at those TORQUE levels.  Monster torque.  Supercharged.  Converter multiplication.  4:1 first gear.  And the inertia of 4500 lbs.  WOW.

Disney likes this

Time for e85.  I put a flex fuel sensor on the car before I went to beech bend a couple weeks ago, to confirm all stayed good with the sensor reporting 10$% alcohol vs. how it was tuned.  The following week I put a dsx auxiliary pump on the car (comes on under boost).  Last night I put the ID1050x injectors in and loaded the injector data.  It fired up with a miss that turned out to be an injector connector not seated perfectly.  Fixed that and it idles just like it did with ID850's.

I'm going to slowly work the tune over next year.  It would be great to drop it off at the tuner, but if I want 100% from the car I'm going to have to tune it myself at the track.  Just need some new rear tires and I'm ready to go as soon as the track opens.

IMG_E2938.JPG

IMG_2937.JPG

IMG_2912.JPG

IMG_2939.JPG

Tino, mstrpth, 66sprint6 and 2 others like this

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

It would be great to drop it off at the tuner, but if I want 100% from the car I'm going to have to tune it myself at the track. 

Makes me think back to when those GN guys were making passes with a computer operator riding shotgun.  So...

....do you need a driver?? :dirty:

What do you expect from E85?

No need for a driver.  You would be bored anyway.  I just stab the gas and keep the steering wheel straight.  For data logging, I just hit the space bar after the burnout.

I think I'll pick up 60-80 hp, but I should be able to hit it with 8-9 degrees more timing on the launch.  I just hoping for one 9.99 or better time slip next year.  It might take me all year tweaking the tune, but I think it's possible in good fall air.

JohnC, Tino, 66sprint6 and 1 other like this

Mike, speaking of more timing during launch, is it common to decrease timing at each upshift?

Edited by Ashley P

Oh, yes, that's good for the drivetrain.  But let me rephrase...is it common to reduce timing after each upshift?   Like 35 degrees total in first gear, 33 in second, 30 in drive.

I don't see that on my car, but it's not a stock tune anymore.

On my pcm, the main timing table is based on rpm and airflow.  There are adders (subtractors) based on IAT and coolant temp, but I don't recall anything by gear.  I will say that my car makes more boost (airflow) with each gear when the weather is really good, so that could potentially move it down a row on the main timing table, but it's such a small increase in air flow that I don't see an actual change.

Hmmmm....well, with a PCM taking actual airflow into account the gear ratio probably doesn't matter.  I just wondered if you "computer guys" were able (or willing) to experiment with timing vs gear ratio.   I know my stock GTO would have loved more timing in 1st gear than 4th.  I know my uncles 3200lb car that ran 147 in the 1/8th loved to have higher timing in low than high.

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

I need to go ahead and roll the dice next year and run on some DR's or slicks. :yes:

DUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.  You wont go back to running on all seasons ever again, its a RUSH!

Matt

And if you're flooring it and hear BOOM and the car quits accelerating, shut off the engine and carefully coast out of the groove and stop.   Set the parking brake just in case "park" has no coupling to the tires.  :)