Mike

What would you hypothetically build? Now with more CTS-V

Rate this topic:

580 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Mike said:

The gopro doesn't have options for most of that when on time lapse mode.  I can adjust frequency of shots, to .5, 1 ,15, 30 sec intervals.  I'll try that.  I still don't even have the right memory card to record decent video.

I don't get any option for ratio straight out of the camera.  I'll have to see what's available for free processing software.  

it may be under picture quality settings. it's been a few versions ago since I've used one.  It's not really a big deal, just one of those little things that can make it stand out a little bit.

I’m still cranking away studying for my PE exam, so the car sits a lot.  I’m just gathering parts to be thrown on after.

brake ducts and an air defecltor/isolator plate for my air intake.

All the parts to build a diff cooler for my rearend.  GM sold them as an option.  An aftermarket shop makes a “kit” for $1300 that basically what I have below with a different pump. I’ve got $500 wrapped up in parts.

F90AF117-310A-4B04-AE4B-4948F9C7FD08.jpeg

IMG_0683[1].JPG

66sprint6 and mstrpth like this

PE exam?  I recall you saying your stomach issues are better and you've lost weight, but a PE exam seems a little over the top. :) 

Alternate post:  You'll never accumulate as many bolt ons as that other LS guy around here...

mstrpth and Mike like this

10 hours ago, Ashley P said:

PE exam?  I recall you saying your stomach issues are better and you've lost weight, but a PE exam seems a little over the top. :) 

Alternate post:  You'll never accumulate as many bolt ons as that other LS guy around here...

him wants to be a boss :yes: 

JohnC likes this

47 minutes ago, mstrpth said:

him wants to be a boss :yes: 

That's a great perk of it, but it's not a guarantee.  Everyone thinks that's my only motivation, but I've been planning this since 2014, 2 years before I started here.  I've still got the review books I bought in 2014 for it.  Don't worry though, you wouldn't be the first person I'd fire. :D

And Ashley, maybe you know, maybe not.  PE is short for Professional Engineer.  It's an exam to be a licensed Engineer.  It's somewhat uncommon for Mechanical Engineers, but pretty much required for Civil Engineers.  It mostly just makes me more liable for projects I work on, but I could also be called as a professional expert in a trial if needed.

mstrpth, Ashley P, JohnC and 1 other like this

Rats, I thought it you were trying to become a Pontiac Enthusiast. 

Hurry and get that license. I'm bringing you to my trial to prove my place of residence.  I'll expect several spreadsheets.  And a pocket protector.

66sprint6 likes this

4 hours ago, Mike said:

That's a great perk of it, but it's not a guarantee.  Everyone thinks that's my only motivation, but I've been planning this since 2014, 2 years before I started here.  I've still got the review books I bought in 2014 for it.  Don't worry though, you wouldn't be the first person I'd fire. :D

Maybe it'll take you less tries than your current boss :D 

On 3/14/2018 at 6:29 PM, Mike said:

I’m still cranking away studying for my PE exam, so the car sits a lot....

On 3/15/2018 at 0:29 PM, mstrpth said:

Maybe it'll take you less tries than your current boss :D 

Holy **** I passed!

Pass.jpg

66sprint6, JohnC, Ashley P and 3 others like this

1 hour ago, Mike said:

The study books combined cost more than any gun I own.  I'll hang on to most of them, but a few are going to a friend who is preparing to take the test soon.

Congrats!

Mike likes this

14 minutes ago, mstrpth said:

:party: 

I say you take us out to lunch to celebrate.

I'll trade lunch if he'll just let me park it. I'll guard it for him. :D 

17 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Mike... Who makes a good trans cooler?

The B&M supercoolers are the best bang for the buck.  Don't delete the radiator cooler, go through it first then to any added outside cooler.

JohnC likes this

There are a bunch of different sizes.  Figure out where you want to put it first, then see how big you can put there.  Buy the biggest cooler you can fit on the car.

JohnC likes this

I guess it's been a while since I did anything to the V.  So with some of my latest shop work profit, I bought a set of polished wheels for the V.

The old wheels were silver and the rears are badly curb rashed.  I wanted a spare set of rears for some 19" drag radials also.

IMG_3434.JPG

The new polished wheels.  One has a small curb mark, but they are overall much nicer.

IMG_2021.JPG

IMG_2029.JPG

IMG_2035.JPG

Speaking of drag radials.  I sold my weld wheels earlier this year.  I had to think twice about selling the rears, but I had also planned to do the 19" thing.  I didn't really like the skinny fronts for regular driving.  I also didn't like having the tpms light on every time I drove the car with them on.  So someone offered me a lot of money for them so I sold them.  I haven't really though much about them, but I am kinda missing being able to go to the Hill on Tuesday nights.  I've been so busy that I didn't pursue the 19" wheel thing very hard this summer.

Well, no more than a couple hours after I bought the polished V wheels (which gave me spare rears for 19" DR's), the guy that bought my drag pack put my old rears up for sale.  I thought to myself how nice those polished welds would look with the new polished stock front wheels.  

IMG_2034.PNG

I'm going to pick them up this afternoon.  :D

JohnC, 66sprint6, mstrpth and 2 others like this

Now that I'm going to be going to the track regularly again, I've got to do something about cooling the intercooler between rounds.  Last Tuesday night I ran the fan and intercooler pump for 30-45 minutes between passes, but that didn't cool it any lower than 100* and it drains the battery quick.  I had to jump start the car once I ran the battery so low.

Last year I had a little under hood ice box, but it would barely hold enough ice to keep the car cool while waiting in the staging lanes.  It was only useful at a track rental or test and tune where I didn't have to sit in line for 30 minutes.  There are two ways to fix that problem.  1. Build a bigger tank that holds more ice or 2. Put a switch on the pump so that it's off until you are ready to pull into the burnout box.  I'm going to do both.

I bought an 8" tank lid and the biggest, baddest intercooler pump I can get, a reprogrammed EMP 25 amp pump.  I'll put an interupt switch on the pump circuit so that I can turn if off when I'm in the staging lanes.

I measured everything up and laid it out in cad.

IMG_2099.JPG

Tank overview.JPG

tank.JPG

The tank will hold a max of ~8 gallons, but I'll probably have 6 or 7 in there.  I shouldn't have to drill any holes for the hoses because there were already 3 removable plugs in there that are plenty big for the 1" and 3/4" hoses.

66sprint6, JohnC and Ashley P like this

Interrupt switch...I always wanted to put electrical accessories on a relay that was turned off near WOT so I would not have to deal with it.