Mike

What would you hypothetically build? Now with more CTS-V

Rate this topic:

461 posts in this topic

It's like shifting a manual with the intent to spin tires versus blipping the throttle to cushion the shift; the driveline hates violence.  It lives much longer with smoothness.

21 minutes ago, JohnC said:

So what you're telling me is turning down tq management and upping line pressure shortens the life of these GM A6 trans? :meh:

No, you need the line pressure.  That helps longevity.  You also need to keep some torque management.  Just don't take it down to zero.  The more you leave, the longer it last.  But you don't get lightning quick shifts with 100% tq managment.  Mine is still pretty high, but I get a quick shift, just not violent.

JohnC and ls1adam84 like this

NICE!!!!  I might try to head out there if the weather holds out.  Ive been itchin to get out there to try and get some cooler weather times but it hasnt been in the cards.

Matt

7 minutes ago, 66sprint6 said:

NICE!!!!  I might try to head out there if the weather holds out.  Ive been itchin to get out there to try and get some cooler weather times but it hasnt been in the cards.

Matt

It's looking like it's going to be hot tomorrow and one of the Street Outlaws guys will be there, so I'm guessing it will be crowded.  I'm probably going to wait another week.  I'm going to try to buy a new intercooler lid for my car too so another short setback.

66sprint6 likes this

While I had the blower off, might as well.....

I had a couple bent fins on the stock intercooler brick.  I'm slightly concerned that I'm starting to push too much air through it so it was time to upgrade.  

IMG_4053.JPG

I have to do some modification to it.  1. Reinforce the brick just like I did on the stock one.  This will prevent it from collapsing under boost.  I have to get a piece of aluminum to weld on to it.  2. I have to machine 1/4" of the ribs off the top of the lid so it doesn't rub on the hood.  3. Remove the restrictive ZL1 quick connect fittings and replace them with some 3/4" hose barbs.

IMG_4055.JPG

First I cut the old fittings off flush, then used a 5/8" then to 3/4" drills to cut the remainder of the stock pressed in fitting out.

IMG_4059.JPG

I'm going to a friends shop this afternoon to machine the lid and I have to re-fill my argon to do the welding tonight.

JohnC, Cody and 66sprint6 like this

6 hours ago, higherpowerracing said:

Awesome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

It's your fault.  You mentioned it the other night.

Machining done.  I have to weld the fittings and reinforcement plate on tomorrow and I should be ready to fire it back up.

IMG_4062.JPG

IMG_4063.JPG

IMG_4064.JPG

66sprint6 and Cody like this

I milled the water manifold back some also, so my fittings wouldn't be right up on the fuel rail.  And I ground out the big restriction in them.

IMG_4070.JPG

IMG_4072.JPG

IMG_4073.JPG

IMG_4074.JPG

These welds weren't so nice.  I can't get tons of cleaning on my tig.  I know this aluminum is a multi layer stack with layers of aluminum, flux and some solder like substance.  Maybe that's part of it, but other people seem  to weld it fine.

IMG_4075.JPG

IMG_4076.JPG

I have two options for hose routing, but I think I like the shorter route back to the HX in the bottom picture.  I bought some heat shrink hose clamps for the connections on the lid, so I'm waiting on those to button it up.

IMG_4077.JPG

IMG_4078.JPG

66sprint6, Cody and Ashley P like this

Probably not worth insulating the hoses?  That black will sure transfer the heat, soak it up from under the hood as well as sweat and drip.  

The big heat exhanger bolted directly to the a/c condensor is a bigger heat soak problem.  Nothing is really a problem until you are sitting still in traffic or in the staging lanes at the track.

Ashley P and Cody like this

I got it all buttoned up and went for a short ride.  I hit it once and ran it up through 2nd gear.  It only seemed to pick up 1 psi of boost and I was expecting more.  I might have my bypass valve set wrong, so I'm going to check that.

These heat shrink hose clamps are nice.  Downside is they are one time use.

IMG_4084.JPG

JohnC, 66sprint6 and Cody like this

Well, seems that the blower port and throttle body was only worth about 1 psi. But somehow good enough for 3.5 mph.  DA was 1150, so a little better than LS fest, but not stellar yet.

Previous best was 6.79@103

Best mph.

IMG_4132.JPG

Best ET.  Funny thing on this one, I spun pretty bad.  The track just wouldn't hold a hard launch.

IMG_4143.JPG

Cody, JohnC and 66sprint6 like this