Mike

What would you hypothetically build? Now with more CTS-V

Rate this topic:

375 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Mike said:

With pretty much every GM V8 having dod and all that mess, I don't see that happening.  But yes at $150 for head gaskets and bolts, it sucks.  It's getting new lifter trays too so I have no reason to go back in.

I kind of don't look forward to doing the DOD delete on my junk. :no: 

Want to help? :D 

11 hours ago, Mike said:

Yes.  I'm going to save them for when I do a DOD delete on the wifes tahoe.

can you do mine when you do hers? out of the kindness of your heart that is :D 

5 minutes ago, mstrpth said:

can you do mine when you do hers? out of the kindness of your heart that is :D 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I kind of don't look forward to doing the DOD delete on my junk. :no: 

Want to help? :D 

Image result for pay up sucker

JohnC and 66sprint6 like this

Posted (edited)

How about a TNspeed DoD delete day?    A few mechanics, a few LS engines to delete.  Each engine owner provides the parts and puts $300 into a pot.   We race.   First mechanic done (running, driven around the block) gets all the money.  :yes:   I'm in as a mechanic.   I'm bringing my own air tools and a compressor to pump 200 psi....

Edited by Ashley P

On 5/16/2017 at 0:30 PM, JohnC said:

@Mike

What do you think about BBK LT's with cats? 

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bbk-40210/overview/year/2010/model/camaro/submodel/ss

I had BBK's on my GT and never had issues, so I assume they're making quality stuff for the SS, too? 

Everyone seems to like Kooks, american racing, and ARH for 5th gens.

66sprint6 and JohnC like this

It's getting close to being back together.  I pulled the heads off saturday and had them back on the same day with some help from my mini me.  A friend helped me put the blower back on yesterday and I got most of the other little bits back on.  I had to order custom length pushrods, so that's the hold up for the next week.

18519451_10104324261657155_3088001624223

IMG_3183.JPG

IMG_3184.JPG

IMG_3188.JPG

IMG_3192.JPG

IMG_3193.JPG

IMG_3194.JPG

IMG_3265.JPG

IMG_3266.JPG

gammey4, JohnC, Ashley P and 1 other like this

I have kids.  I can see the questions in her eyes:  Why custom pushrods?  Why the variation in length?  What's this METRIC wrench doing here....is this a Cadillac or a Honda?

66sprint6 likes this

Daddy, whats.....?  Yes, lots of questions.  Grammi got her a set of plastic tools so she's quite interested in helping me.  She knows what car it is, she says thank god it's not a junk old Pontiac.

These new lifters are supposed to have .040" preload +/- .010".  I used a length checker and checked every one to zero lash then added .040".  If you see my numbers up above you'll see that I'm varying about .023".  That's either from the cam grinding or valve stem height variation.  Seems like the exhaust pushrods are about .010" longer, so I'm going to end up with two sizes 7.385" for the intakes and 7.395" for the exhausts.  Once you buy custom you can get all 16 a different length, but this is easy to keep track of.

Ashley P, Cody, 66sprint6 and 3 others like this

Posted (edited)

So, cam grinding or valve installed height aren't correct (or both are incorrect), and you're gonna band-aid it??  And sleep tonight????    (<- Perfectionist trigger. :D ) 

Edited by Ashley P

It's alive again.  I finished it up Friday night and drove it to Cars and Coffee Saturday morning then the MCCM dyno day at Boost Addicts.  The valvetrain still makes faint noise.  Probably not much change overall, but I don't have to worry about it now.

IMG_3393.JPG

66sprint6, mstrpth, JohnC and 1 other like this

I'm not completely sure.  I think a pulley, headers and tune.  There were about 5 CTSV's there, but we couldn't all get parking together.

JohnC likes this

I think now that I've put a few miles on it, the valvetrain has gotten quieter.

I went to "The Hill" Tuesday and made a few passes.  7.001@104.2 being the best.  My 60's were slow by .1s than they were in February and the ET was off about the same.  The air was 2000'.  I might go a few more Tuesdays when the weather is decent, but for now I'm going to start daily driving it.  Part of going back to DD is putting the stock wheels and tires back on.  I'll put the full drag pack back on in the fall.

I super cleaned the wheels.  As I swapped them, I cleaned each caliper and inner fender also.

IMG_3432.JPG

IMG_3433.JPG

Then gave the car a bath.  This is the cleanest it's probably been since new.

IMG_3434.JPG

I love driving this car.

66sprint6, Cody and JohnC like this

3 hours ago, Mike said:

I think now that I've put a few miles on it, the valvetrain has gotten quieter.

I went to "The Hill" Tuesday and made a few passes.  7.001@104.2 being the best.  My 60's were slow by .1s than they were in February and the ET was off about the same.  The air was 2000'.  I might go a few more Tuesdays when the weather is decent, but for now I'm going to start daily driving it.  Part of going back to DD is putting the stock wheels and tires back on.  I'll put the full drag pack back on in the fall.

I super cleaned the wheels.  As I swapped them, I cleaned each caliper and inner fender also.

IMG_3432.JPG

IMG_3433.JPG

Then gave the car a bath.  This is the cleanest it's probably been since new.

IMG_3434.JPG

I love driving this car.

Love it! :love: