Mike

What would you hypothetically build? Now with more CTS-V

Rate this topic:

467 posts in this topic

So, lets say you had $50k cash to spend on a car and mods.

Wants:

Room for 2 adults and a kid

No major builds.  Buy a relatively new car and mod it

Want a car that is moderately quick at the dragstrip, road course and autocross.  I'm over having the fastest car.

Must be a V8 and must sound good.

No turbo, no nitrous.

It should take a couple weeks to mod it.

Reliable, daily driver

No aftermarket ecu's.

What would you buy and how would you mod it?

I'm day dreaming while my Buick sits under the knife again.  I'm tired of "building" this car but when it run's there is always something on it that bugs me.  I've spent 98% of my time working on it and 2% enjoying it.  I'm not selling it right now, but it's been on my mind a lot lately.  And daydreaming and planning is fun.

Example:

1LE camaro with an LS3, 6 speed $30,000  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Camaro-1LE-2SS-RS-10k-miles-Leather-Navigation-Boston-Acq-/302011472730?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4651495b5a:g:laoAAOSwRgJXg8gZ&item=302011472730

Heads, cam, exhaust, tune, clutch $3500?  Maybe some drag wheels and tires $2500

What could it make, 500 hp to the tires?  I'm not up on my LS stuff.  Run 11's?

Example 2:

ZL1 camaro. With ported blower, heads, cam, exhaust, pulley, clutch and a tune.  Should make mid 600's to the tires.  That should eat all $50k for a nice car.  Some collector value in this car.

JohnC likes this

Im enjoying this 15 GT Performance Pack.  Its bare bones so you could get it with more options, toss boltons and a tune on it and have a great car thats fun in all environments/tracks/races/traffic etc.  If you havnt checked one out yet lemme know, you can drive mine anytime.

Matt

mstrpth likes this

Example:

1LE camaro with an LS3, 6 speed $30,000  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Camaro-1LE-2SS-RS-10k-miles-Leather-Navigation-Boston-Acq-/302011472730?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4651495b5a:g:laoAAOSwRgJXg8gZ&item=302011472730

Heads, cam, exhaust, tune, clutch $3500?  Maybe some drag wheels and tires $2500

What could it make, 500 hp to the tires?  I'm not up on my LS stuff.  Run 11's?

Example 2:

ZL1 camaro. With ported blower, heads, cam, exhaust, pulley, clutch and a tune.  Should make mid 600's to the tires.  That should eat all $50k for a nice car.  Some collector value in this car.

I can get you a supplier discount if you want to buy a new one. Wish I could share the employee discount.

JohnC likes this

1953 GMC 2.5 truck.  Small block cheby, manual 4 speed for reliability.   3" lexan windows.  Run flats.  Snow plow for clearing interstates of people who are violating the "no pedestrians" part of the law.  And turbo for more pushing power.

mstrpth and Tino like this

13 GT500 or the ZL1 should do it! :up: 

Hey, if you got to replace the GN, it'll have to be something nice to make you not miss it. Those two seem like the best options for that purpose. 

Depending on the day I'm 50/50 on selling the GN.  The things working against it are: I don't want to deal with selling it, I built the car, I'll never get my labor back out of it.  Other than that I don't have much of an emotional attachment to the car.  I've never had an emotional attachment to any of the cars or parts I've built for myself and others, but I hate to give labor and money away.

I get frustrated because it's not perfect.  When you all see it you see good stuff.  When I look at it or drive it, I see the flaws.  I'm not sure how to fix that in my mind other than continually fixing the flaws.  That's discouraging.  I want to be out enjoying it, but when I drive it I always see something I want to fix.  I'm trying to build a $200K champagne budget flawless pro touring car on a beer budget.

Now, If I do get that wild hair some day I'm going to be picky.  I haven't ruled out a mustang, but I've owned 4 of them and worked on hundreds of them.  I kinda want to try something else.  I also have the aversion to mod motors after my twin turbo car.  Maybe the Coyote's are just that much better, but it will be hard to convince me.  I'm a little leery of the new LT1 direct injection motor also.  The GM guys say they have a complete floor at the GM tech center devoted to developing the tune for these cars and aftermarket should be spending a lot more time to get one tuned than they are.  I've seen quite a few modded LT1's kick the bucket even when full of the best parts.

JohnC likes this

Example 3

CTS-V 2 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-CTS-V-SuperCharged-/162115685185?forcerrptr=true&hash=item25bed90b41:g:i2MAAOSwNuxXbYwb&item=162115685185

Ported blower, cam, exhaust, clutch and tune.

I really like this one because it's a 4 door and easy to travel in.  but it doesn't have the cool midlife crisis factor that the ZL1 has.

Cody and JohnC like this

I hear you on the flaws part...I do it as well and it takes away from the 66 all the time.  I often have to force myself into a "good-enough" or "is what it is mentality" which CAN be a bad thing, but Im finding out that when properly used on the petty little things, it can be a very good thing.  Pick and choose your battles they always say.  Buying something new and "perfect" or more importantly, that you are detached from picking apart the flaws and havnt put 100million wrench hours into can solve the issue but then you just have a car.  Its neat, its pretty, its quick but its nothing special.  Buying a new car then modding the hell of it but NOT going to the point of nit-picking every little thing and driving yourself nuts might be the trick tho...happy medium.  Me, I wont get rid of the 66 so long as life allows so I learn to put it away for a little and move on to something else fun...like the truck or the new Mustang.  Hopefully IF you do sell it, you can find something that makes you just as happy without the hair pulling and sleepless nights.  If not...maybe sell the truck and buy yourself a fun DD to distract you for a bit and keep the GN as well?

Matt

mstrpth likes this

you'll learn to hate the new car as well. after the new wears off, you'll see the cheap plastic and a lot of what could have been good ideas.

PLUS - you know when that car sells you'll be adding onto that house :D 

for me it would be an 03-04 cobra. Not the fastest but I've always wanted one.

66sprint6 and Tino like this

Serious answer:  Pontiac Solstice, small/high rpm aluminum V8 (destroked LSx?), roll cage, Jerico, somekindastrongerrearaxle, sticky tires all around.

17 hours ago, higherpowerracing said:

By a newer 5.0 throw on a procharger and have a reliable 600hp car all day long.

Slim's Speed Shop

Buy a newer 5.0, throw on an Eaton/Whipple and have a reliable 600lbft car all day long.

Edited by Cannon Fodder
Ashley P likes this

And I see you've also thought CTS-V. Great minds think alike!!! Or at least yours and mine do.

Other things I would consider would be Porsche Panamera, a Ridiculous pro-touring style Malibu, Chevelle, Evo.

JohnC likes this