66sprint6

1988 F150 4x4

12 posts in this topic

Got a roofing nail in the tread of one of the tires on the F150.  Took it in to have it removed and patched like Ive done many a time before...except now the tires are way...way...way too old for anyone with any credibility to even want to touch.  Whoops.  Ive been trying to wring ever last little mile outta the poor Firestones before replacing but after running around with a 29" spare on one side, new tires were becoming inevitable.  Long story short, after lots of research and after finding a really decent deal, Discount tire beat it by $1.00 and I was off to have some new rubber put on the truck.

Bye Bye old 31x10.5x15 Firestone Destination AT's (GREAT tire by the way)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/66sprint6/88F150013.jpg

Hello 33x10.5x15 BFG AT KO2's

IMG_20160608_171502779_zpsv6soc9hj.jpg

IMG_20160608_134258816_HDR_zpsl4xxy2ar.j

IMG_20160608_141954298_zpsdwaqhrcy.jpg

IMG_20160609_083116769_zpsc53qgbqd.jpg

I was always a fan of the BFG AT's but these new ones are (so far) living up to the hype about being quieter and smoother.  Since Ive owned it, the truck hasnt been this quiet and smooth, its a whole new vehicle entirely.  Cant say anything about being better in the wet and snow yet but I look forward to driving in said conditions now.  The height is enough to get the truck looking more how Ive always kinda pictured it and they run the radius arm no worse than the 31x10.5s so Im happy there as well.  Had to remove the front mudflaps to do some trimming but thats easy enough.  Might toss an F250 or leveling spring in the front and get a good alignment and then she should be sitting pretty finally!  Im amazed at how something as simple as a tire swap can change the entire attitude of a vehicle.  Oh...and on a side note, I really like the smell of new tires for some reason lol

Matt

JohnC, Tino and mstrpth like this

Ive always been a fan of BFG rubber, always run BFG's on the Mustangs throughout the years and was close to putting them on the ST (not entirely sure why I didnt actually LOL) but Im glad to see these new AT's living up to the hype.  That and they look a tad more aggressive than the older ATs which is a plus.

Matt

JohnC likes this

Before

IMG_20160616_184921935_zpsclzf4aoe.jpg

After

IMG_20160617_193027779_zpszt1apapf.jpg

F150 2wd front springs lifted her just enough to look level and I love it.  I drove it around quite a bit this weekend to try and settle the springs some before getting an alignment and I love it.  Was easy to do, looks amazing and rides amazing.

Matt

higherpowerracing and JohnC like this

Oddly enough, an 80's style bar with some KC's would be pretty fitting...and ive started noticing an odd liking of similar 80's style 4x4s but Im thinkin Im gonna leave the truck alone for a while now and just enjoy it for what it is.  Needs a new bedliner and some tie-downs tho for sure.

Matt

JohnC likes this

The single stage paint in the ole truck was looking pretty haggard and hazy but if I ever tried to clean it up with more than even soap and water, the maroon would bleed like a stuck hog.  The hood and roof are getting thin and I was to the point where I wouldnt even touch it other than to spray it off to knock some of the dust off from time to time :(

Then I stumbled across a recommendation for Meguiars #7 and all is well in my world again!!!!  I followed the advice to SOAK an applicator in it, rub it in generously and allow to sit overnight so as to allow it to soak into the paint and nurish it.  I did the top of the driver's fender just to see what happens and this is after buffing the remainder off.  

IMG_20170424_171805150_zpsphbzmuik.jpg

The door shows the difference.  I then cleaned, clayed and then rubbed the entire truck down with #7 and let it soak in overnight and while I was at work.  Friday night I buffed it off and hit it with a Carnuba wax to help get the remainder off.  I didnt have time to put my final wax down but I was already in awe of how the truck looked.  Very very little color came off on any of the applicators and rags during this process as well which was a shock.  

IMG_20170428_192248555_zpssdgs5yvd.jpg

I thought it was gonna have to go in for a respray but now Im beyond happy with the way she looks!!!  Its the small things in life that get me!

Matt

Ashley P, Mike and mstrpth like this

The article I got my info from mentioned getting its info from Mike Phillips so I did a search and came up with some of his posts on numerous forums.  I cannot recommend this stuff enough to folks with old single stage paint jobs!!!  The 79 F250 I bought and sold in the same day to a friend has some AMAZING paint on it and Ive been bugging him to try it to push it over the edge as well.

Matt