Ashley P

Duramax LLY head gaskets?

35 posts in this topic

I've bypassed the EGR cooler and I'm still getting combustion gas in the coolant....looks like head gaskets.   Anybody heard any horror stories about cracked heads or anything else?  Also I'm looking for a complete list of "parts" necessary for the HG job. 

Early meaning LB7?   I know they had injector issues...

Debating whether to pull engine, pull cab, or neither.   Terribly rusty truck...

Early meaning LB7?   I know they had injector issues...

Debating whether to pull engine, pull cab, or neither.   Terribly rusty truck...

Just tell the owner to trade it for a Cummins Dodge or Nissan and call it a day. :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I basically told them that....but they just traded FOR it.   I think it's called doubling down.

I've never understood some people:  They get the "vehicle inspection" and "vehicle purchase" out of order.

Edited by Ashley P

Customer said "fix it".  40 hours labor.  Plan to pull the cab.  BTW, did you know that ARP head studs are about $700?!?!

Yes, for the diesels they are crazy expensive.

One thing about ARP that irks me....  You can buy a set of SBC head studs (34 studs?) for about 100. You can buy ARP LS head studs (20) for $400. Who does their math?!!!  I guess it's supply and demand... That why so many LS folks use China studs.

Manual transmission.

Tino, Ashley P, 66sprint6 and 1 other like this

About 4 hours to get the cab off.  First time, lots of confusion sorting the wires out, but nothing snagged when the cab was raised.

Noon update:  snapped off two exhaust bolts even with the flange red hot, but T-stat, EGR cooler, both up pipes and down pipe are off.

Edited by Ashley P

3:15.   I can see valve covers, the valley, and the front of the heads.   (Next is break the intake, pull VCs and rocker stuff.  I think I'll do that while J Bonham drums a while on Moby ****.

12 hours ago, JohnC said:

Hurry up and get that thing running and driving already!

:duck:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZERO Duramax progress today!  The Hare was so far ahead he took a day off. ;)   (Scheduled Vandy run, Ross'  treatment went well.)

How about a running engine by noon, but a pesky water pump bypass tube leak that refuses to be fixed?   I gotta laugh at that to keep from....where's that claymore I saw on this site?

FWIW, the job went well, I finished on time even though wasting some time on wiring and a couple loose fuel line fittings.  Yesterday the customer came in for lack of brake lights....I found the LR tail/stop housing to be siliconed to the bed.   The open circuit was to be diagnosed today, but....

On 6/7/2016 at 3:09 PM, Ashley P said:

I've never understood some people:  They get the "vehicle inspection" and "vehicle purchase" out of order.

....the customer TOOK THE TRUCK BACK to the the dealer, threw a fit, and "traded" for a new Dodge! !

JohnC likes this

2 hours ago, KNIGHT347 said:

pretty much why I call them Dura"trash", Dura"cracks" Dura"tax" Diesels

And they're GREAT compared to Ford 6.$#@#%^!, huh?

My father in law is about to have to do this to his duramax. I have the Ford 6.0 and i heard its just as bad. Thankfully mine is running fine, knock on wood. The price for parts is definitely outrageous, almost feels like being robbed. 

Especially outrageous compared to old mechanically injected, non-emission'd diesels that only had to have a valve lash adjustment every 200k...

What's your father in law's truck doing?  What year?

For John C....

13553310_1297657770262651_1465705025_n.jpg?oh=deb48f63969341098942056b6d256476&oe=57749985

13536042_1297658010262627_379569067_n.jpg?oh=dc4aa9cdcb075079f06c205086ae136e&oe=577581D4

What happened to that one?

Seems when I see newer diesel trucks in 1 ton or less, they're always having cab off with major repairs.