dr.art

Broke the hot side cherry today

Rate this topic:

78 posts in this topic

That's a good looking setup already! :up:

Bet no one would expect a turbo'd setup like that under the hood of that car. Pop the hood and surprise! :yes: 

The China turbo did not have a pressure tap for the wastegate 

so I built this dude

this will be the first pipe on the cold side out of the turbo

and yes I am going to trim it

IMG_0251.JPGIMG_0250.JPG

Finishing up fab work on the rear end , got the Panhard bar installed.

made some quick tabs to secure the rear brake lines.

just have to install the 4pt roll bar and finish the exhaust and I can be done welding on the damn car.IMG_0301.JPG

JohnC, mstrpth, Tino and 1 other like this

ok, so obvious question of the day.

I received enough frequent flier bonus points to by myself a new decent plasma cutter.

so the question is , not cut the rear tubs and run a 235 or cut the damn rear tubs run a 275 or bigger tire and put off finishing even longer to do the tub work.

What do you want?  Can you not run a 255 or so on the stock tubs and compromise?  People have found ways to hook a skinnier drag radial but usually fatter tires help, especially with big power so either figure out how to hook as it is or cut away and fit some fatter meats!

Matt

On 11/29/2017 at 2:40 PM, dr.art said:

ok, so obvious question of the day.

I received enough frequent flier bonus points to by myself a new decent plasma cutter.

so the question is , not cut the rear tubs and run a 235 or cut the damn rear tubs run a 275 or bigger tire and put off finishing even longer to do the tub work.

You put a cage in the car, so obviously you have serious intentions for the car.  Do the tubs.  It's not as bad as you might think if you keep the outer wheel house and only widen or extend the inner.

And, my opinion on plasma cutters is that nobody really needs one for car work.  They are nice to have, but they are only for quick rough work.  You can cut the majority of the tub out with it, but you'll need to fine tune the cuts with spot weld drills and cut off wheels to do a nice mini tub job.  I've worked at shops that had them and never used them.  I've never owned one and probably never will.

66sprint6 and JRANGER like this

Mike is right! I only used my plasma cutter to cut out rusted floor pans before it broke (Ebay Cheap). Its awesome for that because it makes quick work of it but in the long run they arent the best for a lot of stuff.