Mike

Fishing

22 posts in this topic

Anybody fish?  I haven't been in years.  I dug out my old rod n reel setups and going to string up some new line and go hit the lake.  I guess I should get a license also.  I had to throw out a npbunch of stuff in my tackle box away from the plastic worm slime eating all the plastic stuff.

Where do you fish and what bait works for you?

@Tino I remember you said you fish near the park here in Hville.  What do the fish like?

JohnC likes this

Haven't been in a couple of years.  I have a bunch of cheap worms if you want some to try, they are just my collecting slime in my bag at the moment.

JohnC likes this

You will probably need to change the old line on the reel, I have a stripper setup if you want  to do it quicker.

I just pulled the old line off and inspected everything.  I have an old quantum baitcaster setup that is ok, but I never got good with it, it was fustrating.  I have a cheap mitchel spinning reel and two piece rod and a nice shimano spinner on a berkley lightning rod.  This was probably quality stuff when I bought it 20 years ago or more.  I think I'll put new line on the shimano and get some worms next weekend and go to drakes creek.

I lived in a cabin on center hill my last year of college and fished for trout in the caney fork a little.  Even if I didn't catch anything, walking that was the best way to spend a few hours.

Baitcast reels are fun, especially when you bird nest the things.  I had an old Abu that I was decent with but the Daiwa I have now seems to be more difficult.  Personally I like spinning reels but the old spincast reels are good for being lazy.

gammey4 likes this

Fishing is fun, but I never caught much and always lost expensive lures fishing off the banks, so I gave up on it. 

If I had a boat, it would have been a lot more fun.  :yes:

I usually fish at Rockland. I was out there for a few minutes today. I went and bought my fishinglicense and bought at very cheap rod and reel (I didn't plan on fishing that's why I didn't have my equipment with me) and I caught this little thing. 

20160515_140826.jpg

I use plastic Worms. 

My new rod and reel. It's very tiny thing

20160515_141050.jpg

Edited by Tino
JohnC likes this

Nothing wrong with a cheap rod, it hurts a lot less when you eventually break the tip off putting stuff in the truck.  Look at it this way, you could just leave it in the truck but it kind of kills the line.

Worms and tubers, on 50 cents or less lost on a snag vs 3 dollars plus crank, spinner or buzz baits.  Though I did retrieve a worm one time as I didn't want to cut the line, just hate throwing money away. :lol:

Tino likes this

Last year I found myself going fishing at lunch quite a bit. I would normally throw a crank bait or shad rap of some type. Every now and then i'd throw a warm rig. I would fish either the Stones river or Fate Sanders marina. Actually caught more at the marina, but the river spot was way more peaceful.

Also, nothing like watching a brand new Mitchell 300 sink to the bottom 11 miles offshore.  Saltwater is hell on reels so the rods last a lot longer.

16 hours ago, Mike said:

Where do you fish and what bait works for you?

Pond.  Spinner baits from Walmart..   Bass love it.   Well, loveD it.  I think they've learned that the shiney/spinny thingy will jerk them outta the water and 1/2 suffocate them before putting them back...they only bite when the weather is right now.

I caught two perch in Drakes Creek near thr bypass Sunday morning.  Went to 4 other spots between there and Bledsoe creek and didn't catch anything.  

I don't care for lake fishing.  I need to make a caney fork trip one morning 

JohnC and 66sprint6 like this

I caught two perch in Drakes Creek near thr bypass Sunday morning.  Went to 4 other spots between there and Bledsoe creek and didn't catch anything.  

I don't care for lake fishing.  I need to make a caney fork trip one morning 

We need to bust a cap again soon. :yes:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Free fishing in KY this weekend.  Tino, wanna catch something worth photographing? :D :duck:

https://fw.ky.gov/FishBoatGuide/Pages/Fishing-Regulations.aspx#6

FREE FISHING DAYS
(301 KAR 1:210)
Every year Kentucky offers free fishing days the first weekend in June (June 2-3, 2018). On free fishing days no license (including the Kentucky trout permit) is required of residents or non-residents to fish any Kentucky waters. All other fishing regulations remain in effect. Free fishing days are offered to promote fishing and National Fishing Week.

Tino likes this

17 hours ago, Ashley P said:

Free fishing in KY this weekend.  Tino, wanna catch something worth photographing? :D :duck:

https://fw.ky.gov/FishBoatGuide/Pages/Fishing-Regulations.aspx#6

FREE FISHING DAYS
(301 KAR 1:210)
Every year Kentucky offers free fishing days the first weekend in June (June 2-3, 2018). On free fishing days no license (including the Kentucky trout permit) is required of residents or non-residents to fish any Kentucky waters. All other fishing regulations remain in effect. Free fishing days are offered to promote fishing and National Fishing Week.

I'll get kicked out of Kentucky for catching all the fish

Disney likes this

Shooooot.  Right now you can fish small creeks for bass, bluegill, and catfish...'cause every pond within 10 miles of here just overflowed.  I bet we got 2 or 3 inches of rain in about 20 minutes.