Ashley P

98 Ranger stuck in 4wd

14 posts in this topic

1998 Ranger, 3.0L, automatic, sat for months/years.  Now back on road and intermittently sticks in 4wd.  I've disconnected the rotted vacuum hose at a front wheel, it's still locked (coupled).  Transfer case is in 4W high despite the switch being in 2wd.

Any experience with this, Ford guys?

I'm thinking the vacuum actuators are both stuck and something electrical is messed up with the transfer case shift motor.

On my dodge, I had some kind of vacuum check valve on the transfer case that sent vacuum to the actuator that locks the front axles. Well, it had a ball bearing in it (think like a PCV valve) and it was sucked in and wedged. Replaced it and still didn't solve my issue of being stuck in 4wd. Turns out it was the front CAD, or I just call it vacuum actuator valve, was shot. It wasn't holding vacuum and rested itself in the 4wd position.

You might have a similar issue if it is stuck in 4wd or randomly goes in to 4wd while driving.

Old actuator vacuum valve and fork assembly. Notice it stuck in the middle position where it locks the axles in 4wd?

Dodge_Actuator_Assembly1.jpg

When 4wd is engaged, it slides this lock ring over both axles

Dodge_axel_locked_in_4wd1.jpg

When 4wd is disengaged, it slides the ring off to the side

Dodge_axel_out_of_4wd1.jpg

New actuator valve and assembly cleaned up

Dodge_New_Actuator_Assembly_Apart1.jpg

Reinstalled

Dodge_New_Actuator_Assembly_Installed1.JPG

7 minutes ago, Ashley P said:

^ Thanks!  That will alter my diagnostics... lol

My post help any? I know it's dodge, but vacuum 4wd systems seem to be similar...

10 hours ago, JohnC said:

My post help any? I know it's dodge, but vacuum 4wd systems seem to be similar...

No.   None.  Zip.  Like listening to a Bernie Sanders speech. :lol:

(I familiar about dodge systems like that.  Ford is different and I'm ignorant.   I applied vacuum to the "actuator" this am and no change.)

mstrpth and JohnC like this

15 hours ago, higherpowerracing said:

The Ford Ranger should lock the front hubs when no vacuum is applied

Sent from Slim's Speed Shop

with zero knowledge of this, that seems backwards.

If you manually crank the t-case back to high range, and unplug the connector at the case, and the case is still locked in 4wd, it has a mechanical failure of the transfer case. If the problem goes away, then it's an electrical issue. 

I found the above on Google....

21 hours ago, higherpowerracing said:

The Ford Ranger should lock the front hubs when no vacuum is applied

Not exactly.  The hubs have a "switch" like a retractable ball point pen, it holds it's position until actuated again.  So an application of vacuum can lock or unlock.  These hubs are likely junk, lubing didn't help them.  Also the 4WD High and 4WD Low lights intermittently flash on the dash. 

No time today, maybe next week.

Not exactly.  The hubs have a "switch" like a retractable ball point pen, it holds it's position until actuated again.  So an application of vacuum can lock or unlock.  These hubs are likely junk, lubing didn't help them.  Also the 4WD High and 4WD Low lights intermittently flash on the dash. 

No time today, maybe next week.

Got ya

On 4/29/2016 at 2:00 PM, JohnC said:

Ahh... It has an electric shift with button on the dash?

Humor me. Disconnect the battery and then reconnect it. Unstuck?

I got back on this problem...shift motor was failed.  New motor...still nothing....so, I pulled a JohnC/microsoft reboot....problem solved!    Unbelievable....:shrug:

JohnC likes this

2 minutes ago, Ashley P said:

I got back on this problem...shift motor was failed.  New motor...still nothing....so, I pulled a JohnC/microsoft reboot....problem solved!    Unbelievable....:shrug:

It's a common problem with those trucks. I found it googling. Nobody seems to know what the cause is. Might as well pass that on to the owner. :lol: