Ashley P

Home building 101, er, 404?

212 posts in this topic

FWIW, I learned something at HD when ordering my basement windows.  The salesman had told me that any quote totaling $1500 or more would be emailed to corporate and given a discount.  That was the main reason I'd added top windows to their basement quote (basement being $1100).  Well, the discounted quote reduced each basement window from $138 to 116.   I had my original NON discount quote last night and ordered my windows form a person filling in for the window guy.  From my paper, he used the computer to pull up my quote.  I had him delete the upper windows.  The computer kept my discount on the windows. :)

I also filled out both the Lowes and HD surveys, hoping to win $5500 between them.  That would be a win, win, win, win. lol

mstrpth and Disney like this

Mike NAILED that!  lol 

The nearest thing to spam is junk mail, and I already get and handle that fairly efficiently:  the boys make paper airplanes out of it.

Edited by Ashley P

Well, I had large accomplishments in my world of remodeling.  First, Lowes has my windows.  I need to get them delivered.  Second, I picked up the basement windows from HD.  Third, I  opened the letter from my home mortgage provider and....I quote one passage of the contents:  "This is the final payment due on this note."  :panic::jiggy::no1::party:

Disney and mstrpth like this

OK, bump to keep the house talk out of the Goat topic... lol

Progress in early 2020 was to FINALLY find used board insulation (XPS, pink board). I'd been keeping an eye out for about a year.  I found some in E TN and my uncle pulled his enclosed trailer there and for day's time,  $250 in fuel/food, and $1200 cash I bought 120 sheets of 1.5" x 4' x 12'.    I had to pressure wash the chicken poo off of it, so factor in another two Saturdays time.   But that will wrap my entire house 3" thick, with lots left over for rim board and attic use.  Plus some for the shop.   Lately I dug out an old variable transformer my dad built and used for electronics repair.  That powers up $8 of NiChrome wire for a hot wire cutter.  I'm setting on go for that project.

Also early 2020, bought about $2500 lumber for a back porch and the boards to install insulation and siding.  Got posts set, most floor joists in, but have stopped to finish some plumbing in that area.  I thought about selling that lumber in July when it would have taken about $6500+ to replace it.  But I figured a $4000 profit would be offset my my death when my wife killed me for slowing a stationary project.

I got all the windows installed.  I replaced a picture window flanked by two double hung windows with one 8' wide picture window.  That dude was HEAVY.  Lowes had me come help the two delivery guys unload it.  But just me and my carpenter put it in. I think I burned 500 calories in 2 minutes of holding it.  They are all shimmed out 3" so that the insulation board will end up flush with the window flange.  Then a little ZIP tape and it'll be air/water tight.  (Got my ZIP tape, 6" wide to seal the insulation on either side of a 3.5" board.  About $300 in tape.) (This winter the picture window is a disappointment.  It's so energy efficient that it lets in almost no heat from the nearest star. I faces east and has lots of deciduous shade during the summer, so I went backward there.)

Oh, also installed the french door in the rear of the house.  I bought it and a pretty front door when I was first shopping for windows at the local lumber yard.  They didn't have with windows I wanted, but had a sold and returned French door with a left hand inswing...perfect.  $600 I think?   We'd just come from Lowes and it was CHEAP in comparison.

The basement toilets must be pumped up to the septic tank.  That's to be accomplished via a septic basin.  Most are about 18" diameter, 3' deep, and installed in a basement floor.  Not wanting something that easy and stinky in my house, I bought an 18" plastic culvert 20' long, put it where it would end up under the porch.  I cut the bell end off to use it to form a lid.  This year I researched pumps (Liberty is the best) and found a USED one.  Is that cheap? lol   Used meant sold and returned with bumps and bruises, but it was $600 vs $1000+ new.  Putting it down and gluing some pipe is the next mission so the porch floor can be finished.  

I've also scratched my head about HVAC ducting.  Initially a drop ceiling would allow duct anywhere, easy peasy.  But screw easy.  I got greedy and want to keep my 9' ceiling in the large room farthest away from the HVAC unit, so I've gotta figure out the best way to get air routed.

There, it looks like I did something.  :) 

mstrpth likes this

^  Hidden ducts are hard, but invisible.   Visible ducts are easy but almost ugly.   Mini split would be ugly inside AND out.  But, very, very easy by comparison. 

Is a water coupled mini split available?   

Mini-split condensers are small. Visual appearance wouldn’t be bad. For your basement, I would run two systems with 2-3 zones. That way you have redundancy.