Ashley P

Home building 101, er, 404?

194 posts in this topic

Well, one year ago I was ending two weeks of vacation with footers poured and the first row of ICFs put down.   For the last several months I've only tinkered around, but this weekend I began to get more serious.  I got more LVL to make a beam in the attic to remove an original load bearing wall.  Gonna take some ingenuity to hang the ceiling joists underneath the beam, but I've got a good start on it.

14 minutes ago, Cannon Fodder said:

Does it take you step by step in building the stringers?

yep

2 hours ago, mstrpth said:

I watched that entire video and I'm not even building stairs..

Same here. Never built the first stair, but I was curious. Glad I watched. I want those guys to build me a house now.

Watched every second of that video and it was soooo worth it! I've always been hesitant to do any carpentry type work, but they make me feel like I could go frame a house tomorrow!

Ashley P likes this

Disney, the vid:  Makes me wish I'd watched it BEFORE doing my own carpentry. lol     They make it look easy, for sure.  Cutting on the line without a line is not for the beginner.  And one thing about carpentry...it's not at precise as automotive. Example:   He cut a section of rim joist out (two cuts), then turned that piece 90 degrees and installed it in the same void...but I cringe 'cause it's now TWO blade widths narrower and the nails are trying to pull it together.

John, I'm convinced that new construction is a difficult job, but remodeling is about 2.5 times harder.

On 9/18/2016 at 1:38 AM, JohnC said:

Hurry up! :hyper:

Winter is coming and I want to see this house finished up! :love:

Good advice, I should have listened 2 years ago! lol

I've got a buddy that's a pro house builder.  I fixed the wiring to his headlights today, he helped me design/build the walls that will support the stairs.   I'm just so burned out on this project (and distracted by several things) that a little help from a knowledgeable guy goes a long way.  The stairs have been a major holdup to framing/wiring/insulating the ground floor addition.  Hopefully the stairs can be completed in a couple weeks and I can make some progress again.

Disney and mstrpth like this