Ashley P

Home building 101, er, 404?

175 posts in this topic

^ Today was $950 ish. :smirk:   I hate spending a week's pay in one day...REPEATEDLY.    At least I'm not spending it on heroin or nitrous....

These are the days of our construction projects.  I would literally get sick to my stomach any time I went to the bank to get a check from my construction loan.

Ashley P likes this

21 hours ago, Ashley P said:

^ Today was $950 ish. :smirk:   I hate spending a week's pay in one day...REPEATEDLY.    At least I'm not spending it on heroin or nitrous....

Actually the $950 should have included about $100 more for the roof metal stuff, and another $120 for screws and gloves (that I remembered that I needed at about 2:30am).

Again had some volunteer help and got the rafters installed (worked from a string to align them straighter than the old roof) and the lathing on.  Might could have pressed a little harder and gotten a few pieces of metal on today, but gusty winds prevented us from moving any of the almost 26' long sheets off the trailer until dusk.    Did get the first piece up and made an attempt to align it...gave up with too little light.  Scheduled to start at 6 am...rain supposed to start about noon.  Sure hope the winds are calm tomorrow.

Walked out the door at 5:30 am and the wind was blowing.   Near my house a flag was pointed straight out.  It took 3 guys to get the metal off the trailer and up to the roof where me and one other held it down and put a few screws in it, and we only moved metal when the wind "died down".  Had the metal on by about 1 pm, but took another hour or so to string up and put the remaining screws in.  Still need to put trim on, but it's water proof* now.

*ridge cap needs seals, but that can wait for a calm day

higherpowerracing and JohnC like this

Took old eave off one side of the house (quite difficult when working on a ladder), extended the wall up to the new roof (did I mention working on a ladder?), built new eave (eventually the ladder(s) and most tools were in the back of the deuce to make things a LITTLE easier).  With the eave completed I could put the final end trim on the metal roof.  Calling for some stormy rain so I got the SW side done first.  At dark I built a platform on the deuce to raise the floor another 3', should be like a rolling scaffold to speed up the next side.

Also had a man with little Kabota backhoe come and trench in my H2O that had to be eliminated during dig.  Have water available IN the basement now.  When I get power in I can hook up the geothermal and reconnect ducting.  Bought most supplies to reconnect plumbing.  If only I had a few months of vacation...

A tale of two eaves:

First eave:  working from ladders both on the ground and in the deuce, took a few days of my time.

Second eave:  after having figured out what to do and building a platform 8'x`12' up over the deuce bed (7' off ground) and putting ALL of my tools in and on the truck....took off old eave and built new one in about 8 hours.  Surprised at how much time that platform saved me.  Sweet to have that done before the rain, too.

Even built a walkway into the back addition today.

Have all things electrical moving from back burner to front...

JohnC likes this

Working on those photos....yeh, right.  lol

Actually redid some work.  Some time back I trenched across the driveway to lay conduit from the power pole to the far side of the house.  This left conduit in the driveway at the bottom of a trench 2.5' deep, but then it ran across the basement trench that was about 4' deeper.  As the backfill settled after this last rain, I figured it was allowing the conduit to sag and be under tension.  Sure enough, tapping on it said it was TIGHT.  Where the conduit approached the house, I cut it to relieve strain.  I only cut 1/8" deep and it SNAPPED all the way across and had about a 5" gap! 

Had a buddy bring the mini Kabota over and dig most of the fill off the top, cut it near the driveway, pulled it out, checked for cracks, put it back on top, reconnected...THEN pulled the 3/0 wires through.  Killed 1/2 the day on the redo.  But, got the box mounted and terminated the feeds in the box.  Hope to connect that new box to the original box via more conduit tomorrow.

My water coupled heat pump required.... some water.   So,  plumbing got done this week, too.   Today finished a couple drains, set the toilet (HALLELUJAH!!!), took the deuce work platform apart to build a front step.  Rained on me during that project, so it turned into a 12' ramp.  It'll work for now.

Tonight I left the house with the thermostat set on 62, it was almost there (up from 48 this afternoon).   Didn't plumb the new "master bath" 'cause it's not designed yet...

Wife is on duty to clean the house, then we move in.

JohnC likes this

^ Me too, with the exception of moving HOME from other peoples' houses. lol     Best thing:  TAP WATER that's DRINKABLE!  Or is the best thing:  Walking in the fields w/the kids.  (Just got back from walking through the target area: all grown up with briars...wasn't mowed this year.  Maybe I can get caught up this next year...)

Had to fix the clothes dryer (door switched fixed w/paper clip) and the refrigerator (evaporator fan didn't run/PB Blaster'd the bearings).  Now maybe I can take a nap.  Then make a list of the next 10 things to build.

JohnC likes this

COLD weather lately.  The addition is not insulated and was lacking the metal trim on the North side, allowing the breeze to blow through 1.5 inch by 25 feet gap.  The back room got well below freezing after a couple days of that.  With the basement separated from that room by only a layer of Advantech flooring I monitored the temp in the basement.  It took it 3 days to drop to 43 from mid 50s.  Since I got that last trim installed today the addition should cool off lots slower next time.

Have enjoyed sleeping in my own bed and taking a few naps lately.

JohnC likes this

Well, nap time is ending.   Lately have been cleaning up around the house, just got the shed cleaned out enough to get two cars back in (it was storage for lumber and deleted house parts).   Tonight lifted and shimmed up one of my GluLam beams and replaced a broken floor joist under the living room.  3 more of them to go then I can get back to the real action which is to plan and execute a removal of a load bearing wall in the master bedroom.  Do I wanna go to the trouble to put that beam up above the ceiling or not?  

On 11/28/2016 at 5:39 AM, JohnC said:

More pictures! :yes:

Check the gallery.  If you want to put them here, that's fine.

So, any home insulation experts here?   I've got a customer scheduled to give me some recommendations and estimate.  Figuring spray foam on the walls of the 12 x 38 addition and the floor joints @ sill plate.  Gonna pick his brain on how to best insulate the existing house.  Since my foundation foam is a couple inches thicker than my old siding, maybe I can remove siding, put vertical boards to adjust thickness, spray foam that thickness, then re-side the house.