Ashley P

Home building 101, er, 404?

194 posts in this topic

Mover plans to place house in 10 days.  I've still gotta get load bearing stuff figured out to support 2 load bearing walls as well do some dirt work to allow a 60' beam to be moved into position.  To to dirtwork means doing some septic work first, and filling in the access ramp...and while digging I need to trench the conduit in to the power pole.  Filling access ramp will require some backfilling, and before backfilling I need waterproofing on the walls and french drain done on that wall.  Before waterproofing I need...sleep.

Well, the move was delayed. Might happen mid next week.  But thanks in part to Raceall I've got my load bearing walls/beams in place and ready.  2x6 walls with openings 12' and 16' made with layered LVL (GP GluLam...longs strips of plywood).   I got the drain and waterproofing done in the rear where steel beam support will be needed.   Hope to finish all waterproofing so that backfilling can happen immediately after house lands. 

Moving has commenced.  They dropped materials and set up some cribbing today...in the wrong spot.  They'd been there some time when I dropped in to run over some things with the mover.  His men were putting cribbing in the basement to support the front beam.  As the mover and I talked he noticed the cribbing wasn't lining up with the window hole at the top of the wall for the beam to set down in.  He questioned his man who said he had measured and that's where it needed to be.  Now the mover is a very laid back, slow moving guy, but he reached for his tape measure and headed straight to the house to measure the beam vs. house (thinking I'd made the wall wrong) as I asked the helper if he measured both ends of the beam.   Mover took a while to verify that the concrete wall was right and the helper had mis-measured.  

I was very glad that my measurments had been double checked before the concrete pour 'cause I had initially made the same mistake.

Raceall and JohnC like this

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

This build is moving faster than the GTO! :duck:

For real.  There are spider webs anchoring the car, but I've got no spiders even under the house (anymore).  (Who else washed UNDER their house this past weekend??)

Mover(s) worked again yesterday, from 8 AM and left at 11:45 PM leaving nothing behind.   It was tough from about 8 pm till 10pm, trying to get the house to set down on the concrete walls.  But the house is down.  Took some pics, then got busy making things happen to MY liking.  (I've learned that when in doubt I'd better get in there and make the "pros" do what I want rather than stare at stuff done wrong for the rest of my life.)  MUCH harder work than I want to do for a living, and you'd have to see that operation to believe it.  WOW on many levels.

Some photo ketchup

Walls pre pour

14407922_1249161178448843_1725158901_o.j

Some of Raceall's handywork (about 3 boards worth ;) )

14799886_1281217315243229_2145299093_o.j

14163998_1281217705243190_549446017_o.jp

After the move:  14856084_1290369354328025_64381039102859

At the end of today the huge dirt piles have almost disappeared as the backfilling was almost completed.  Gotta figure out flooring thickness (basement and addition) to figure staircase to figure addition floor joist layout...learning curve again.

(Notice the hood up on the backhoe?  Yes, I get to work on it some also. )

Edited by Ashley P
JohnC and Tino like this

On 10/25/2016 at 1:50 PM, Disney said:

Measure twice, pour once.

My Dewalt 30' tape blew up this weekend.  I joked that it's because I measured about 12 times per cut or pour.  A carpenter could built a few dozen houses with that tape and I only got 1/2 way through my project. lol

Thanks.    It has been a major undertaking.   My uncle has been a major laborer for me, he's a car guy.  I asked him "what's harder, building a house or building a car?"  He answered "house" with with a .400 rt.  lol

I wish I could have done two things better:  estimate the cost and time more accurately (height, length, and width are the easier dimensions for me).   I've probably spent about $5k more and consider myself about a month behind.  lol     If I can JUST get that addition under roof soon....aiming for floor joists, subfloor, and walls done next weekend with roof the weekend after that.  (Fat chance.  About the same chance as getting all the materials for $500.)

Thinking I'd like to set the drywall, HVAC, H2O heater, and shower unit down in the hole with the hoe before the floor joists are installed.  Trying to think ahead without losing my mind.

2 minutes ago, mstrpth said:

I don't see any pictures. not sure if its my work computer or if you've already deleted them.

Work might be blocking them because I see them.

mstrpth likes this

12 hours ago, Ashley P said:

Some of Raceall's handywork (about 3 boards worth ;) )

14799886_1281217315243229_2145299093_o.j

After I got home, I felt something stabbing my in my thigh.  I think I pulled about 1/2 a box of screws out of my leg and pocket. LOL

12 hours ago, mstrpth said:

I don't see any pictures. not sure if its my work computer or if you've already deleted them.

My photos are invisible to mstrpth and Disney. :) 

12 hours ago, mstrpth said:

It's our work.  Photobucket is blocked.

I saws them all yesterday, but now all but one show to be a broken link. I can still see one pic. Super impressed with htis whole project. It's crazy as hell, but i'd expect nothing less from Ash

JohnC likes this

On 11/1/2016 at 8:11 PM, Mike said:

It's our work.  Photobucket is blocked.

Upload directly to the forum or Tapalk. Problem solved. :D

^ I think long and hard about how best to do that. :yes:  You should see how much planning and effort I put in to building crooked, leaning, and angled floor joists.  :yes: 

The longer I work on this the more I tell myself things like "that fit is OK...it's not an engine part" and "the vinyl siding will hide it". :lol:

Edited by Ashley P
JohnC, Disney and mstrpth like this

38Finished decking the addition last Friday(?) then built and raised the back wall (38' load bearing) on Saturday.  Started pulling the soffit, some roofing, and some decking off the old house to expose the load bearing wall that will connect to my just built wall.  Started planning the roofing mods.  Had a carpenter buddy come by tonight to run my plan by...he gave me a tip or two.  Plan to take off the rest of the work week, buy materials tomorrow AM, start building a roof. Rain forecast for Friday....I hope this is the last "big" hurdle of the project.  When the roof is completed I'll have the two end walls of the addition to build to make the house "weather proof" (don't plan to put siding on the house 'till next year).

JohnC likes this

Ceiling joists installed.  Patterns figured and cut for both ends of the rafters.    Lumber = $790.  Every time I turn around it's $700.

JohnC likes this