Ashley P

Home building 101, er, 404?

179 posts in this topic

Vendor from Flournoy Rd??  For real?  PM that name, if you don't care.

(My photo jammer will stop him, btw.)

Oh, I'd take a picture but I can't find the Buick 6 stickers to put on the jackstands that will be seen holding up the house....

8 hours ago, Ashley P said:

Oh, I'd take a picture but I can't find the Buick 6 stickers to put on the jackstands that will be seen holding up the house....

You can have mine, I don't need them anymore.

mstrpth likes this

There were pics TAKEN tonight.  Uploaded...not yet.

Got a new (plastic still on the seat) Cat excavator sitting ready for tomorrow morning.  Deuce is sitting waiting for the concrete from the old foundation.  New batteries in the transit just in case.

A couple days ago I thougth I posted this:

^ Upload??   I spent most of the day loading and unloading.....

Todays dig:  how about my $365 in rock for a creek crossing to save time so the tri-axle dump would be most useful...my creek crossing worked but the truck couldn't make the uphill turn after it!   Had to dump there and come out, never to return to that crossing.   It had to drive down the road over a mile away, instead of the planned 600'.

So the two little trucks (C50 and the Duece) got a lot more workout.  Duece showed out, laughing at soft ground.  Of course, it only held 3 scoops from the 42" bucket of the Cat 320.  That blown out donut gasket really talked when giong up hill pulling that load.  Mike and John know a certain path from my front yard...it was muddy at that turn at the base of the front yard.   I was headed down when my buddy driving the C50 (unloaded) was coming up and around that turn...sideways. :2thumbs:

Dirt (high clay content) was so moist (record August rains) that beds rarely dumped clean which made for the occational clean out with the track hoe or back hoe.  It's neat to see a new TIGHT machine with a good operator who can do that or push the clumps off the top edge of the tailgate without scratching paint.

And the NEW Cat (12 hours/still paint in the bucket) spewed hydraulic oil at mid afternoon.  Tech got there and found a loose connection/blown o-ring.  But the wait for him, then the oil killed the rest of the afternoon.

So, pros:  nobody died.  Duece hauled butt.  Had good helpers.

Cons:  Still not done with the dig.  

14191652_1224848827546745_515170465_o.jp

So we wanted to dig footers yesterday, but the previous night's rain made it too muddy to make sensible progress.  I scraped mud out this am and put my 220v fan in the hole before breakfast and by 1pm it was dry.  Neighbor/customer dug my footer...for $50. :)  The mini excavator he's on?   Guy said use it, clean it up and fill the diesel. :)  Began forming footers tonight, but got dark.  Bent the rebar for the corners tonight.  Need to unload BuildBlocks tomorrow am, then my jobs will be working on forms, shovelling out some of the footer, if forms are completed then start filling low spots with gravel, work on french drain pipes/gravel, and probably 2435313.33  things I can't think of right now.

Very thankful for the limited rain the other night (my house got a fraction of what we got just 3 miles down the road) and nice weather both today and forecast for this week.

That's me in the NHRA starter hat below. 

14163725_1224847997546828_2115465531_o.j

Got dirt?

14164118_1224847834213511_1894665429_o.j

Edited by Ashley P
JohnC likes this

Just like that, we can't make picture jokes about Ashely anymore.  Way to go ashley, for ruining a good thing. :)

And wow, what an undertaking.  Good work, carry on.

Ashley P and JohnC like this

1 hour ago, Mike said:

And wow, what an undertaking.  Good work, carry on.

That was the first week of vacation.  Now for week two....:tired:

I wish I'd had vid/audio of the Duece hauling to the field.  Much like a dyno pull....engine at restful 3500 (?) rpm going down the hill to the creek then quickly ramping up load and noise (blown exhaust) with almost no RPM gain as it pulled the hill.

Edited by Ashley P
JohnC likes this

12 hours ago, JohnC said:

Btw, if I want to come visit, I guess you'll be easier to find this time. I'll just look for the house jacked up and a giant hole in the ground. :D

Drop by.  For every 1 hour of labor you get free range time.  (Tannerite not included, but allowed.)   And you should see ALL the dirt backstops I've got piled around the field. 

Today the BuildBlock showed up, had to spend an hour off loading/moving/offloading again.  Got footer forming 1/6? done. Tomorrow I hope to get the footer forming finished.  Still some manual dirt moving to be done cleaning loose dirt from footers.  Need to get some gravel moved and tamped into low spots in the footer.

This should make Ashley's project look completely normal by comparison. 

One of our engineers snapped this picture in East Nashville.  He's doing the same thing, adding a basement.  But note the electrical still run to the house and the ladder to get up there.  He's still living there.  I can't see it in the picture, but they said he had extended his sewer down also.

IMG_0566.JPG

JohnC likes this

Stereotypical East Nashville home owners don't do logical things.  In this situation, they could probably sell there house for enough to buy twice as much house in any other part of town.  But "hip" has a big price tag.

Additions are never cost effective.  You have to be really attached to your location to justify it.

JohnC likes this

8 hours ago, JohnC said:

Unreal! :stare: 

Is it really cost effective to do this over selling and moving in to another house? :???: 

Your question is a LITTLE too simple.  There are about 34567890 variables to consider.  It's most cost effective to buy what you want, not buy and mod.  That is unless you do it all mods yourself and consider your labor as $0.  Then you get RICH when you add on!  :yes:

Footers poured yesterday.  Nailed down boards on each side of where BB will be, and been stripping footer forms.   Hope to get drain pipe placement finalized, figure out how to get backhoe down in the hole without damaging new footers (to carry rock to level under slab).  So much work (forming footers, stripping footers, placing fill rock) to compensate for over excavation! 

Yesterday a buddy helped me put the first run of BB down to check the footers.  The footers were very level, with the exception of one spot which had some bumps.  Had to adjust the bottom of the blocks.  The blocks are VERY user friendly, and since another friend helped me bend all the horizontal rebar today, I think I can spend tommorrow afternoon and put up all the blocks with the possible exception of the blocks at the window openings,

From 1 pm to 7 pm about 3 people worked on the BB walls.  We started with the first run already done and got walls about 80% done.  Gotta figure out window openings and cut/frame them as we finish the walls, so that part can take a little longer.  Have to work on scaffolds too, so top of the walls takes twice as long as bottom, but overall it's super user friendly and goes fast.