Ashley P

Home building 101, er, 404?

179 posts in this topic

Basically, yes.  And I have another loaned belt and wire dispenser for the next slave sucker well appreciated helper to use

Hoe'd around last night.  Made a creek crossing more more gradually sloped.  20 tons of rock goes there to prepare a "short cut" to get dirt trucks to dump site.  45 ish tons of washed gravel should arrive 23 hours from now.  That'll give the kids a pile to climb on...

Hope to get drain pipe and trench it in Saturday.  Maybe by the end I'll be decent at hoe'ing.

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

When it rains, doesn't it all become "washed" gravel?

No......

....you gotta lather it all up with soap first!   WahahahhahaheeeheeIneedsleephohoho!

17 hours ago, Mike said:

When it rains, doesn't it all become "washed" gravel?

yes it does. last time I ordered 23 tons washed. The bill came in cheaper because it had just rained. Luckily I was dealing with honest people.

also no point in using washed gravel unless you're immediately pouring concrete on it.

thatWashed is for french drain around basement.  Around here, "gravel" can come from different sources, a pit or a creek the most common.  Creek gravel has sand in it and I've stood on the equipment used to sift the gravel into sizes and then rinse it with same creek water.  Thus, clean gravel in 3 piles of different sizes, a pile of sand, and water going back to the creek.  It can rain on a pile of creek gravel for a year and it's still not "washed" by my terms.

And good "pit" gravel has a percentage of clay in it and is great for driveway beds.  A pile of that could get rained on for a decade and still have a heavy "dirt" layer near the bottom of the pile.

I actually washed some creek gravel when making my own concrete box a few years ago.  I put it from the truck into a small mixer, tumbled it for about 5 minutes with a water hose running in it.  Color of water when starting was dark brown, and when it became the color of a tea I called it clean.  And I had already sprayed the truck load (pile) with much water (call that a rain storm) attempting to clean it that way.  Evidently that did very little good.

Edited by Ashley P

And whatever we call "washed gravel", I've now got over 45 tons piled in my drive. $570 down the drain.  Speaking of drain, $780 for the drain pipes today.  Used the hoe to transplant the Azalea bushes last night, now with pipe I can trench the drain from house to creek area this Saturday so that when the basement is dug it will have a place to drain in case of rain.

What are you doing with your plumbing and electrical while the house is moved?  We I guess I don't know if you plan to stay in it while it's moved.

I was planning to stay in it, but can't because the move is to the front of the basement and septic system at the rear.  Electric is overhead (will change to underground) so that wasn't gonna be an issue.  Will cut H2O pipe and put a water hose connection where the house used to be for use with concrete.  Thankfully my electric meter and main breaker box is on a pole before the house so well pump and shop will have power (and I can always put some outlets on the bottom of that box).  And the electric company does't care what I do on my side of that meter. ;)   

Talked to a concrete guy, he hates my form design.:down: Wants about 2.5 times more snap ties and 2x4s. :smirk: Doing math on that now.  The difference is that I expected a weak form to be able to hold slowly poured concrete, but he said that the concrete needs to pour faster to flow and be vibrated harder for stronger concrete.  

Edited by Ashley P

So after a couple evenings of hard/frustrating work trying to make holes for beams, the mover called today and said he'd been by the house and he won't have to use those beams, so no more under house work for me.   Just two more holes from the outside and I'm done with the jackhammer.

Then, put the new hydraulic hose on the backhoe and get back to trenching until Saturday when a buddy helps me disconnect/remove the "back room".   Supposed to rain from tonight till next week, too. :smirk:

No ****... Likely one of the coolest things to ever happen on this forum and its being led by the one guy I know who refuses to use a camera for fear of it's soul stealing properties. I'll send him my GoPro if he'll promise to use it. A lot.

mstrpth and 66sprint6 like this

36 minutes ago, Disney said:

No ****... Likely one of the coolest things to ever happen on this forum and its being led by the one guy I know who refuses to use a camera for fear of it's soul stealing properties. I'll send him my GoPro if he'll promise to use it. A lot.

Go Pro?  Can I mount it up in a tree and set it to take a photo every 15 minutes for the next ?  weeks? (soul stealing...maybe that's my Indian blood talking)

I did get the other two holes busted open last night, I stopped working at 11.  Poor neighbors.  Forecast showing 3-6" of rain this weekend. 

You're a little late on the camera.   A couple buddies helped me take off the "back room" (block walls), cut the H2O and electric yesterday.  Got it mostly cleaned up, too.  Duece finally did something dumping three loads of blocks, the backhoe worked off and on all day without blowing a hose.  It worked again this afternoon digging 2/3 of my drain trench, it's averaging about 8' deep for the last 75', so digging is slow.  I can't even see the bucket at that depth, but I have developed a little "feel" for it.

And the 3-6" of rain forcast amounted to....a downpour just now.  All in all a very productive weekend.

So I'm sure a time lapse camera would show a lot of blocks falling and dirt flying, and LOTS of wasted steps by amatures...looking for tools. lol

Team of 5 movers worked about 12 hours yesterday to get the two beams under the house.   Since it has rained since the night before, they were muddy nearly from head to toe.  My front yard and even gravel driveway looked like it was plowed.   As of a little while ago the house was hovering about 10" above the foundation.

I'd like the rain to stop so that the ground gets firm enough to haul dirt.  We can dig in the rain, but can't haul it off.

^ Then what, share them?  lol

I will.  Maybe.  ;)  

They've got the second set of beams under it...looks ready to roll forward.

They got it landed in the front yard yesterday afternoon.    They tore up the back yard almost as bad as the front which was almost as bad as the driveway.   I took the backhoe bucket and scraped mud off the gravel so the Corolla would stop dragging the floorboards.

Too muddy to finish trenching last night.

Landed $365 of rock in the creek today to make a crossing.   Had to load it in the Duece.5, probably put about 3 tons right on the rear of the bed and drove off into the creek...where the right side sunk to mud in the wheels...thought it was stuck.  Dumped part of the load and spun the tires getting out.  Once that rock was down it was much easier.  Finished by spreading it with the hoe.  Hoping a tri-axle will be able to haul across that now.

Landed about $900 in rebar and remesh.

Excavator to dig Wednesday.

Ordered a bunch of $$$$ of BuildBlock and assorted waterproofing.