Ashley P

Home building 101, er, 404?

179 posts in this topic

Guess what rental rates are for 9' forms?   About $24 per linear foot.  Just the exterior walls would be about 150'.   $3600 to RENT wall forms?!    75 sheets of almost 3/4" plywood at about $18 each would be only $1330, 6  2x4 per sheet for 450 x $2.60 = $1170    So $2500 plus screws, plastic, and snap tie "brackets" and I keep the materials vs. $3600 and I have nothing.....of course that's only an 8' form....extending it a foot could be done a couple different ways.....

...shoot me.

Edited by Ashley P
JohnC likes this

Any opinions on making the basement floor slope toward the bathroom, and have the bathroom floor slope more....into an area serving as a shower pan.  Reading library books about concrete design/coloring...maybe instead of tiling the floor and shower walls I pour custom colored/aggregate mix in those locations, possibly putting a divider in the wall forms to separate ready mix from custom mix.

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 10:02 PM, Ashley P said:

Any opinions on making the basement floor slope toward the bathroom, and have the bathroom floor slope more....into an area serving as a shower pan.  Reading library books about concrete design/coloring...maybe instead of tiling the floor and shower walls I pour custom colored/aggregate mix in those locations, possibly putting a divider in the wall forms to separate ready mix from custom mix.

I formed up my patio area with a slight slope. best thing I found was a string level. if you maintain your concrete thickness, it will follow the slope of the ground its on. Concrete is 90% prep work.

also, have you looked into staining? That would need to be done before you seal it.

7-14-2016 6-57-58 AM.jpg

Ashley P likes this

Haven't talked to my concrete person of choice in a while, but I want to run over decorative options as a footnote after much talk of leveling/expansion joints, ect.

On the other hand, I hate the idea of a concrete surface because of potential fall injuries so I start thinking of floor coverings.  Cheapest would be concrete and helmets for all...

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

You got this basement built yet, or is it a long term build like the GTO? :duck:

Until you tell  me WHICH gto I don't know how big an insult that is....    lol   (One's not been waxed in several years, another has been off the frame since 1998, the other since....1992?)

Just talked to a buddy who works for the leading local basement builder, he gave me lots of info and said he'd help at crunch time.  Gonna have to build my own forms though....and at least a week has been spent waiting to hear from the mover.  He's a Tennessean so I figured he'd slow me down. ;)  When we sign the contract I'm gonna go into boost mode.  Boost/NOS/Nitro mode.

JohnC likes this

Contract printed....

Plan to move the house into the small front yard.  Same price to move it there vs only raise it.  Will make digging MUCH easier/faster if a full grown trackhoe can be used...

John, how many 50 cal shots would it take to break up 170 linear feet of foundation/footer into 75 lb pieces?   I'll paint the Xs if you provide the ammo.....  :)  Probably about $700 for a skid steer w/jackhammer, huh?

JohnC likes this

^ What would you pay me to let you run it ALL DAY?   And if it's still hot then you'd better bring some baby powder.  :stare:

Borrowed the transit today.

Edited by Ashley P

Revising form materials estimate via lowes prices:

85 plywood @19.48 plus tax $1754

150 2x4x10 @ 3.42 = 510

300 2x4x8 @ 2.60 = 780 + 510 + tax = 1370 + 1754 = $3125 for main lumber

Extras:

50 more 2x4 diagonal braces = $138

Plastic  ? $200 ?

Snap ties ??  $500 (600 @ .80)

Screws  $25 for plywood, ? for wales

Wedge rental??

This junk adds up, but when a basement builder says "35 to 40k" and it's only about 8k of concrete, 1.5 k of rebar.....

JohnC likes this

Mover committed to Aug 15 as the start date, thinks he'll be done on 18th.   Could dig on 19/20.  Hopefully that's enough time before corn harvest that farmers can have trackhoes available.  513 yds3 of dirt to move + truck holds about 5 =  lotta trips across the yard.

Got two trees cleared outta the path to haul dirt to the field/pond (pretty strong wind the other day).  Mowed the path.  Gear lubed the truck; think brakes are about bled and working.

Gotta get a trackhoe to commit and get some bids on materials early in the week.  Then get materials and help and assemble forms.

JohnC likes this

On 7/24/2016 at 9:33 PM, Ashley P said:

Gotta get a trackhoe to commit and get some bids on materials early in the week.

Trackhoe...120 and 125 per hr.  Estimate of 20 hours?   :down:  

21 hours ago, Ashley P said:

....John and Mike know my path leading from my driveway to the pond...

Yep, I've been there.  I've seen the acres upon acres of private secluded land you have.  And you decide to build an underground addition to your house on the most difficult to acess place on all of it.  Well, I guess you could have tried to build in the creek, so maybe you put a little thought into this. :D

Ashley P likes this

lol mike

If I had a functioning septic system, electric service, and a driveway across the creeks to the field...I would DEFINITELY want to build there.

I'm starting to think I'd make a good federal government project estimator.    Had missed one 2x4x8 per form, and we want to add another 20' of wall....it's only money.  :cool:

:whoa:

mstrpth likes this

how about a rundown of the current house plans? I was up to speed and got lost along the way. typical for me :lol: 

Mike, good question.  Somewhere my plans went wrong....might have to regroup.  :)

mrpotatohead, plans?   I still don't know. lol   Well, actually a house mover will move my house forward one width, I (and a team of semi skilled helpers) will put a basement there and an additional 12' across the back, then put house back, change the rear roof line while putting the 12 addition on the back of the house.

The details of that are about as complicated as blueprinting an engine. (And I've never done that, either.)

On 7/28/2016 at 7:21 AM, Mike said:

You have slaves kids, trees and a chainsaw.  Why do you need more lumber?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200316891_200316891

Well, talked to a potential excavator, got to thinking...while he's got his big trackhoe here I should have him push down that baby (2' diameter) oak that leans over the car shed.   It's pretty straight and limb-less...would make a great beam....you're post is to thank for that ADDDDHD moment!  heheh

Borrowed a backhoe today:up:, was just beginning to get the feel for it when a hydraulic hose blew out:down:,so it's parked till Monday.  Also got some threaded rod to use to mock up my first form...plan to hang it horizontally tomorrow and pile sand on top to see how strong it is before committing to building 84 of them.  If I can just get the slaves kids to use their Tonka trucks to pile the sand...

And had a former dealership customer stop by and drop off his belt with pliers and wire dispenser for tying rebar.  :up: