JohnC

My New To Me Euro Hotrod

70 posts in this topic

On 2/16/2016 at 5:21 PM, Mike said:

I'd drive it.  Rattle can it hotrod black.  Put your 50 cal on a turret on the roof.  That will be more manly than the half lifted brodozers all over town.

i309878.jpg

JohnC, Cody, Tino and 1 other like this

Just wanted to add. I topped off the fuel today because I just couldn't wait to see the mpg's.

I averaged 47 mpg's.

Keep in mind, I did lots of city driving and I let this car idle a crap ton.

Heck, just before I filled up, I went in Walmart to grab some stuff and the wife was chilling in the car, so I left it idling. I was in the store at least 30 minutes.

With all interstate driving, I'm 100% positive I could get 53-56 mpg's depending on speed.

And one last point, someone on the TDI forum said the car uses this much diesel idling:

Idle fuel consumption is .3 g/h

23 minutes ago, mstrpth said:

didn't VW lie about all their emission junk anyways?

On the new TDI's they fudged emiss systems.

I think they stopped importing new TDI cars because I don't see them anymore on vw.com nor car lots.

The Govt is trying to tell them to build electric cars to make up for the dirty TDI's they imported. 

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-emissions-usa-idUSKCN0VU0JA

35 minutes ago, aminga said:

So it probably has little to no emissions equipment.  2007 was the first round in the US and it got ramped up in 2011.

It does have an EGR that I know of.

I think it has a catalytic converter, too. But it's hard to tell because it still smells rich and rolls coal. 

2 minutes ago, aminga said:

I doubt it does.  DPF was required in 2007 and SCR not until 2011.

I just googled. It does have a cat.

I figured it did because even my friends 97 Dodge 2500 Cummins had one. 

48 minutes ago, Ashley P said:

Your friend had a 1997 cummins w/cat converter?   I don't believe that, yet.

He asked me if he should chop off the cat and I told him no, to chop off the muffler instead if he wanted better sound because he may have to pass emissions with it someday. 

His truck was a loaded 97 Dodge Cummins 2500 ext cab. 

You don't know you diesel emissions... http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94-98-powertrain/563307-did-12v-come-catalytic-converter-stock-2.html

and http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94-98-powertrain/141133-catalytic-converter-should-go.html

He had it registered in a county where he didn't have to test for emissions which was at his farm. His house was in Hermitage aka Davidson county.

Wow.   Cats on 12v...I've seen many 12v trucks and never noticed a cat.  I wonder what % had them if they were sold in W KY?  I can't imagine the cat lasting many miles before being restricted and causing a power loss...maybe my customers were pulling the cats off and I never noticed.

7 minutes ago, Ashley P said:

Wow.   Cats on 12v...I've seen many 12v trucks and never noticed a cat.  I wonder what % had them if they were sold in W KY?  I can't imagine the cat lasting many miles before being restricted and causing a power loss...maybe my customers were pulling the cats off and I never noticed.

This thread lists what years had cats and they claim 80k miles and most clogged up. http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/general-diesel-discussion-92/cummins-catalytic-converter-51767/page2/

Ashley, snapped this the best I could of under the Beetle TDI.

The cat up front:

cedf2a133a8d44f0f4652eefa49ff192.jpg

68b3962cee66e52bfdaf2d1c856113a4.jpg

eea83de8c912f93b4fdb9415d929ea2b.jpg

Muffler is in back but did t bother snapping a pic..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All I got to say is small diesel engines for DD's is where its at! :yes:

I've easily been getting nearly 50 MPG's consistently. If I didn't drive it so hard and idle it for such long periods of time, it would probably average over 50 MPG's.

My Dad has gotten 52 MPG's out of this car before, so I'm confident I'll get there, too. Probably summer when I don't have to let it idle so much to warm up and all.