slim_9916

Smokers

122 posts in this topic

Well, I dunno.  I only briefly got white smoke (when I opened the door to wrap and unwrap meat, I got huge smoke then flames from my chips).   I also know the residue on my water pan was very close to creosote that collects in a cold flue when burning moist wood. I don't think all that accumulation was from the few minutes of open door runaway burning.   Those "facts", and the fact that the best ribs I've ever had were from a nearly smokeless BBQ "grill", make me wonder what "smoke" is the best.

Also, the apple wood had a different smell, a smell I would presume would be less "harsh" than hickory or oak.  (Have less potential for putrid.)

46 minutes ago, Disney said:

I smoked some wings this weekend. Turned out really good as usual. Used Peach wood chips and dry rub on the wings. Perfect.

That sounds good! :yum:

3 hours ago, Ashley P said:

^ Temp, time (if not proprietary)?

dead nuts 225* start to finish. Added fresh wood ships about 1:15 into it. Total time approx 2h. 

Ashley P likes this

I smoked a tenderloin a few weekends ago. Turned out pretty good, was a tad dry though. Tried to keep the heat around 225-250, but it jumped up a few times on me.

meat.jpg

14 hours ago, Disney said:

What internal temp did you target?

I wanted it to shred like pulled pork so I THINK 270ish.... I could be wrong. I been on a lot of medicines these last few weeks.

1 hour ago, mstrpth said:

I wanted it to shred like pulled pork so I THINK 270ish.... I could be wrong. I been on a lot of medicines these last few weeks.

On my pulled pork I go to 200-205 depending on how it acts at it's plateau. If it plows right through, i'll go 205. If it camps out for a while, i'll stop at 200. 

mstrpth likes this

it just hit me, i was shooting for 195ish.

now that its not 400 degrees outside, I hope to spend some more time on the grill. I've been trying to master a burger for years :lol: . in the end it just taste like....meat. My 9yo loves them but she's the only one.

When I cook a loin like that I run the grill around 325-350  and remove it when the internal temp hits 150-155. I've got a Primo XL Oval ceramic grill.  I put the fire on the left and meat on the right so I'm cooking it indirect.  They will dry out if you take them to shredding temp.

I've still got my electric smoker but ordered a pit barrel cooker earlier today. Hope to get it before the weekend so I can test it out with a brisket. 

JohnC and Disney like this

I bought a weber smokey mountain a couple weeks ago.  I’ve cooked wings, jalapeño poppers, brisket and a small pork butt so far.  All were pretty good with just charcoal and no smoke wood.  There’s lots of room for me to improve, but I’m happier with the outcome vs my last foray into bbq.

JohnC likes this

On 10/23/2018 at 10:03 PM, Mike said:

I bought a weber smokey mountain a couple weeks ago.  I’ve cooked wings, jalapeño poppers, brisket and a small pork butt so far.  All were pretty good with just charcoal and no smoke wood.  There’s lots of room for me to improve, but I’m happier with the outcome vs my last foray into bbq.

I'm only going to use charcoal for the time being and see how it does before I experiment with any wood.

Pit Barrel showed up today and my thermometer setup should be here tomorrow. Going to try a brisket this weekend for its maiden voyage.

I made a batch of Venison Carne Guisada yesterday.  I started it on the stove and finished it on the Primo.

I cut up a small deer hind quarter into chunks and dusted them in flour and browned them in a dutch oven.  Sautéed some onion, jalapenos and garlic.

dbtgallery.php?do=gallery_image&id=2075&

Added the meat back in, covered in beef broth.  Added some cilantro, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika and an 8 ounce box of Mexican tomato sauce and brought it to a boil.

dbtgallery.php?do=gallery_image&id=2076&

Moved it indirect on the Primo at 250.  Cooked uncovered 1 1/2 -  2 hours and put the lid on and finished for about 4 hours.

dbtgallery.php?do=gallery_image&id=2077&

served with some warm flour tortillas.

dbtgallery.php?do=gallery_image&id=2078&

Edited by ts1979flh
mstrpth likes this

I did a rack of ribs and some wings yesterday.  I added 3 chunks of hickory for the ribs and it definitely added to the smoke flavor.  Getting better each time.  I'm figuring out that I like to cook hotter.  I like how the food comes out.  So, the water pan is a waste of time.  With it, the cooker struggles to stay at 225 and I would prefer 275 or 300.  

IMG_2663.JPG

IMG_2664.JPG

IMG_2665.JPG

mstrpth and ts1979flh like this

I smoked some bacon Sunday.  I cured it for 6 days, but I don't think I used enough salt.  4 hours of low temperature smoke, then brought up the temp in the smoker and finished the bacon up to 150 internal temp.  It tastes like good bacon, just not the internal consistency I'm used to.

IMG_2720.JPG

IMG_2722.JPG

IMG_2723.JPG

IMG_2728.JPG

IMG_2725.JPG

IMG_2727.JPG

Disney, Ashley P and mstrpth like this

17 minutes ago, Disney said:

I've never tried that. I would thoink you'd want is basically in a salt crust. Then smoked for days, not hours.

I have a friend that does the bacon regularly.  https://www.thehogcompany.com/  I bought the pork belly from him.  He gave me some advice for doing it, but he isn't going to give away all his secrets.

He said it's pretty easy to over salt it, so I stayed pretty conservative.  My wife and daughter don't like it overly salty.  I did about as much salt as I would a hunk of meat to bbq, but apparently it does need to be closer to a crust.  The smoke depends on how smokey you want it.  4 hours was plenty of smoke for me.  Overall the flavor is great and I don't miss any salt in it.  The only thing different is the meat portion is just a little less tender than what I get from my friend (above).

The test pieces I fried up.

IMG_2732.JPG

Here's the 13lb pork belly I started with.  I've still got 2/3 left in the freezer so i can try something different next time.

IMG_2736.JPG

mstrpth, Disney, 66sprint6 and 1 other like this

I want to try a pork belly soon. I tend to stick with beef so my pork experience is very limited.  

The first brisket on the pit barrel turned out pretty well and of course I didn't take any photos after it was done. It was pretty good for my first attempt but it cooked too fast for my liking. Put on a 12lb brisket at 8:30 am and pulled at 1:30 pm at 206 internal. I was amazed at how fast it cooked and it was done but not as tender as I would've liked. I hung this one per instructions but I may do the next on the grate the entire time. Lots of experimenting to do.  

A couple 1/2" thick slices of home made bacon completely change a BLT.  The store bought stuff is cured with sugar, nitrates and other preservatives.  This is cured with just pink Himalayan sea salt and hickory smoke.  

66sprint6 likes this

I've made my own bacon before.  It turns out good.  I use Morton Tender Quick (it contains Nitrates though) and brown sugar at a rate of 1 Tbs per lb of each.  I do a 5-7 day cure in a big zip lock bag in the fridge, turning it over every day.  Then back in the fridge for a one day wash in a pan of water, changing the water when I think of it.  Then an overnight rest uncovered in the fridge before I smoke it.  If you up the amount of pink salt, try an overnight soak in a water bath if you aren't already doing that. Then let it sit overnight uncovered in the fridge for all the moisture to distribute. 

mstrpth likes this