slim_9916

Smokers

96 posts in this topic

Where my smokers at? This will be started early Friday morning. I'm brand new to this but I'm hooked. Got myself a master built electric smoker for Xmas. This will be brisket #2.

JohnC likes this

I also got my first smoker for Christmas. I smoked a small brisket and pork loin last night. My taste testest said it was amazing. I think I can do better. I need a better thermometer to measure smoker temps. Going to Academy Sports today to get one. Smoking another brisket tonight!

Edited by Disney
Kpate, JohnC and slim_9916 like this

I used to have a smoker, but the food kept getting better and I kept getting fatter.  I had a webber smokey mountain.  I tried lots of weird rubs, mops and sauces and none of them were all that good.

I tried smoking those small brisket pieces at the store and they were never that good.  I think they are just the cap.  I think you have to do the big monster 15lb. piece to get that true flavor.  That's too much food and too much work, so I just go to the bbq joint now for brisket.

Chicken and Turkey take on way too much smoke flavor for my liking.

The last time I did ribs, I just cooked them on my gas grill low and slow with only salt and pepper and they were the best I've made.

If anyone is looking for a good butcher shop or just good bbq, go to Schaffer farms custom meats in Summertown on US43.  They have the best brisket I've eaten outside of TX.

JohnC likes this

I also got my first smoker for Christmas. I smoked a small brisket and pork loin last night. My taste testest said it was amazing. I think I can do better. I need a better thermometer to measure smoker temps. Going to Academy Sports today to get one. Smoking another brisket tonight!

I've had positive feedback as well. I've done wings and this will be the second brisket. This one is 10.5lb and the last was 8.9. I definitely need a better thermometer as well but the built in meat probe has done ok so far.

I used to have a smoker, but the food kept getting better and I kept getting fatter.  I had a webber smokey mountain.  I tried lots of weird rubs, mops and sauces and none of them were all that good.

I tried smoking those small brisket pieces at the store and they were never that good.  I think they are just the cap.  I think you have to do the big monster 15lb. piece to get that true flavor.  That's too much food and too much work, so I just go to the bbq joint now for brisket.

Chicken and Turkey take on way too much smoke flavor for my liking.

The last time I did ribs, I just cooked them on my gas grill low and slow with only salt and pepper and they were the best I've made.

If anyone is looking for a good butcher shop or just good bbq, go to Schaffer farms custom meats in Summertown on US43.  They have the best brisket I've eaten outside of TX.

As long as I stick to lean meat I should be ok right? The photo I posted is actually a full packer brisket but only weighs 10.5. I passed on the 16lber. I'll trim it down myself to about 1/4" in most areas and leave the majority of the the cap untouched. It is a lot of work, more than I expected. 

This is where I get my meat. http://tagz5starmeats.com/Everything is Choice or better and he's a local guy/business. Maybe I'll try a prime brisket one of these days.

I didn't have a clue how to trim the meat so I just smoked it all. I have a better idea this time thanks to google and YouTube. Rubbed and ready and the end result

post-242-0-10077100-1420058659_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-15434900-1420058674_thumb.jpg

Looks delicious! :yum:

If ya got recipes, do share! :up:

No recipes here just a rub with seasoning salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic/onion powder. Wrapped it once it hit 170 and unwrapped after getting to 193. Basted along the way with Apple cider vinegar.

JohnC likes this

Uh, brand new to this...instructions say wood chips not chunks. What dimensions = chip? I have pruned Apple wood, not gonna buy it.

"Masterbuilt"...don't take it personally. Lol

Thanks, btw.

And I can't believe you didn't give measurements to .001"

Edited by Ashley P

Thanks, btw.

I have a 30" master built, the purists will cringe at electric but it gets the job done. Buy a bag of hickory chips from lowes for 4.99. You won't regret it. Fill up the chip loader and you're good to go for at least an hour, probably longer. Bought a lb bag and just now half way through after over 14 hours of smoking. I hate new years. I should be asleep.
JohnC likes this

Thanks, btw.

I didn't want to to expose your calipers to the elements out there scribing a line on a log.

JohnC and Ashley P like this

I cook quite often.  I haven't done anything special (worth mentioning) lately.  But, here is some bacon I cured and smoked a couple months ago.  A buddy killed a hog and I made bacon from one side of the belly.  It sure was good.

On the Primo.

Bacon_13.jpg

Done

Bacon_2.jpg

Sliced

Bacon_4.jpg

Sealed

Bacon_6.jpg

JohnC likes this

It's a long process but not real hard.  The results are outstanding. 

The cure:
1 Tbs Morton Tender Quick per lb
1 Tbs Brown Sugar per lb (you can adjust this if you want)
Black Pepper (no set amount, just however much you want)

You can use other seasonings if you want as well. Mix this together. Put the meat in a zip lock bag. I bought those oversize ones. Then rub the meat with the cure mix on all sides. Put in the refridgerator for 5 to 7 days, depending on the thickness. If using a pork loin, I usually go 7 days. With this one, I went 6 days. You need to turn the meat over every day. It will have some liquid in the bag after a day or so. Do not drain this, just keep turning it over once a day. When you feel it has cured enough, remove it from the bags and rinse it off. Place it in a conatiner of water and put back in the fridge. The longer you let it soak, the more salt will be removed. I usually let it soak 8 hours or so, changing the water a couple of times. After that, dry the meat off and put it back in the fridge uncovered and let it rest overnight. I try to time the process where I pull it out of the cure on a Saturday morning, soak until Saturday night and refridgerate overnight and smoke it on Sunday. Set your smoker up for indirect heat, smoke at around 190-200 until the internal temp reaches 150 degrees. Remove and let it cool. put it back in the fridge and let set overnight and slice the next day/evening. In hindsight, I should have trimmed a little of the fat off this one prior to curing. It turned out good, just had a little too much fat in some places.

Go the primo grill forum and search bacon.

http://www.primogrillforum.com/

There is a ton of info there. Ihave trouble finding fresh pork bellies. I usually use a pork loin and have used boneless boston butt as well.
Disney and JohnC like this