Mike

NHRA could get cool again

17 posts in this topic

If they can get there heads out of their asses and put more of this on TV and less top fuel and funny car/ John Force family drama I might watch again.

If you haven't heard, NHRA mandated the switch to EFI with a 10,500 rpm limit on pro stock cars.  HP EFI ecu specific for pro stock, single blade oval style throttlebody and no more hood scopps.  Good lord these things sound incredible.

Cody, JohnC and Ashley P like this

News to me.  CID limit?    Will EFI slow them Mike?  (I remember you pointing out carbs make more HP on the dyno.)

Still 500".  Shane Gray, in the video above, is the only one to make a pass yet.  In his first full pass he went a 6.84@208.  That's about 7 mph slow and .3-.4 seconds off pace.  They will get back to where they were quick.  The RPM is probably a bigger hp killer than the efi.  

http://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/bangshift-exclusive-heres-the-specifics-on-the-efi-nhra-pro-stock-will-be-running-in-2016/

https://mobile.twitter.com/Holley_News/status/687029351838269441/video/1

I can't get the video to embed. Scroll down a couple for the 6.84 pass.  https://twitter.com/ShaneGrayPS

Ashley P likes this

Sounds crisp and clean.  (I wish the mic was higher quality.) (Also wish I could smell the rubber, VHT, and exhaust.)

I've been out of the racing scene so long I've never heard of that guy.  Kids and shortening TF down to 1000' did it for me.  I'm glad they put EFI in Pro "Stock".  Now, if they'd run engines somewhat like the bodies like the 60s...

I'd like to see TF/FC get EFI and all the electronic controls they want, but limit cubes to 400.  OR, drop the rotating restrictor plate (blower) and run turbos w/ CID limit of 350.  

I bet by the end of the year they will be real close to where they were. I agree with Mike the 10500 rpm limit will hurt them more than anything else. The good thing is most of those teams have a lot of data from when they were turning them 10500 so they will be on it pretty quick.

JohnC likes this

This reminds me of trying to explain to my wife why we love the sounds of these engines so much.

She says when high performance cars idle (choppy cams or rotary with port timing changes), they sound like something is wrong.

She now understands the performance side of it, but she still doesn't get why we men think it sounds so good. :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mighty Mouse likes this

JohnC, my uncle has a 290 cid shebby that he's turned 11k.  The cam sounds very choppy until 5000, that's when it smooths out.

Mike, I was thinking about that 10.5k limit and I was reminded of what I did 16 years ago.  I (and my youngest bro) entered (and won) the Desktop Dyno/Dragstip software contest to design a prostock engine using Dyno and put it in a prostock vehicle in the Dragstrip program.   The contest upped the cid limit to 550.  Most every other parameter was open for mods.  We had a 12 cylinder with about a 2.3" stroke, the graph of the hp curve did no good...we were WAY off the RPM side of the chart!   I think it was a 16k engine and the graph stopped at 12k.  Made 2300+- hp.  Manual trans.  Stupid short & wide tires.  Can't remember the ET.

The post says Greg Anderson, but the door says Jason Line, so who knows which car this is.  It's like the EFI and rpm limit didn't hurt them.

On 1/15/2016 at 7:29 PM, Mike said:

He went a 6.58@209.78 today.  I think that's .13 off the et record and 5 mph slow.  Pretty cool, I want one.  Who wants to buy a buick?  :winkgrin:

Good Lord!  That thing moves out!!

Here is what I want to see:

1.  Unibodies built in the actual automaker's manufacturing facility.

2.  Engine blocks cast in the actual automaker's manufacturing facility.

3.  John Force in a nursing home.

Ashley P likes this

It would be cooler if the bodies were closer to stock.  But, you have to admit they look a lot better without that hood scoop.  At least the grilles are realistic on the camaro's.  The dodge would just be uglier if it were closer to stock.

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

Here is what I want to see:

1.  Unibodies built in the actual automaker's manufacturing facility.

2.  Engine blocks cast in the actual automaker's manufacturing facility.

3.  John Force in a nursing home.

That list works for NASCAR too, excepting Force.