Rate this topic:

1,063 posts in this topic

Man, you've been through a lot wit this car to get her running and driving good! It'll be worth it once you get it all finished up, though. :up:

Trust me, I know how it is chasing bugs. Frustrating! I got a couple I'm still chasing myself. :lol:

Yeah its whoopin my butt this week but Ill be damned if I dont give it everything I got to get it there!  Well...there and back lol.  The alignment really smoothed things out around town at least, she steers slightly better, tracks straight and the steering wheel is straight finally!  Hopefully tonight ill be able to put it back on the highway and see if the minor vibrations are ironed out up top as well.  Gonna go for another longer drive and see if I can get it hot again.  Hopefully itll all stick together.  Unfortunately I dont know that Ill have time to get the exhaust leak between the downpipe and turbo fixed before we go but it seems to seal up a bit when the turbo warms up.  Shouldnt hurt anything!  Now I just gotta get through another tough day at work then get back on it in the garage.

Matt

And the BS continues!  Long story short, new starter was also a dud and wont have a replacement till later today...the day Im trying to leave for Gatlinburg.  Awesome.  No time to make sure my cooling issues are solved and to make final tweaks on the carb, tho its good enough to get me there and have a good time so not overly worried bout that.  Otherwise the car is ready to rock.  Gonna pack a couple bottles of water/coolant and just hope for the best I guess.  That is...if itll start up LOL.  Gotta take my lunch break later this afternoon to go put the starter in and then go from there...see what happens.

Matt

JohnC likes this

And the BS continues!  Long story short, new starter was also a dud and wont have a replacement till later today...the day Im trying to leave for Gatlinburg.  Awesome.  No time to make sure my cooling issues are solved and to make final tweaks on the carb, tho its good enough to get me there and have a good time so not overly worried bout that.  Otherwise the car is ready to rock.  Gonna pack a couple bottles of water/coolant and just hope for the best I guess.  That is...if itll start up LOL.  Gotta take my lunch break later this afternoon to go put the starter in and then go from there...see what happens.

Matt

What brand starter and where did you get it?

I hate when I get a new part, install it and it's a dud! REALLY pisses me off!

Anyway, you're getting close, Matt! Hang in there and she'll be running like a Swiss watch! :up:

And just for good measure check the Solenoid, Ive had issues with those in the past that would make a Preacher cuss.

Being that I couldnt remember the last time the solenoid was swapped, I went ahead and got another and tossed it on while troubleshooting the dead new starter.  I had them check out the 2nd starter, which was an Ultima rebuild from Oreillys, and it checked out good before i left.  Got home Friday afternoon at about 4pm, tossed the starter back in, fired her up and burped the coolant while washing her down for the trip.  I let it idle in the sun for a little over an hour while I burped it, washed it and finished packing it up.  Ran cold the entire time, 150*-160*.  A little skeptical, I said a prayer (always do before trips in this old thing) and hit 840 with my fingers crossed.  Temp stayed low until we started climbing some hills and it went up to about 190-200 and stayed there the entire trip!  Up the long hill section before Knoxville on 40 it sat just south of 210 and then as soon as we leveled out it dropped back to 200ish.  LOVE IT!!!  On the way home it was overcast and we were driving through clouds so it ran cool enough I could turn the fan off and not think about it.  Around town in 100*+ heat in stop and go she ran rock solid cold at around 150-160* and never moved.  I think moving the temp sensor away from the turbo was the key and I very well may not have ever had a cooling issue afterall LOL.

As for the carb and the rest of the car, she ran up there and back better than ever before, tho not perfect.  The vibrations are all but gone and most of what was left can be blamed on the wider/lower profile tires and older style suspension of the car.  On smooth, newly paved roads I found myself in heaven...at least as far as that car is concerned lol.  I didnt have time to get the exhaust leak at the downpipe fixed before we left so Im thinkin it may have thrown off some of my A/F readings a tad but I noticed a very brief lean spot that was just bad enough to cause an ever so slight stumble when accelerating from 12-14 on the Vac gauge into where the PV opens around 5.5 or so.  If I cruised around 10 on the gauge it would sit in that lean spot and show around 15.0-16.0 or so.  Slight throttle change in either direction and it would go away and cruise clean and happy around 13.8-14.8s.  Im thinking I may need to jet it back up a tad to take out this spot.  Otherwise she was a champ!  Every other existing issue Ive had in the past is gone and the weekend was a relative breeze thanks to it!  

Unfortunately I didnt get but a couple pics along the way because of weather and time issues.  We did get to cruise her down to Dollywood for the show but parked it in the parking area and walked up.  Heres what I got from the Hotel to mimick our usual yearly pics.  Spike's 67 cruised up there and back without issue other than being in extreme need of a wash lol.

IMG_20140906_095730671_HDR_zps09sfeqda.j

IMG_20140906_095710670_zpsgdnpeja5.jpg

IMG_20140906_095720540_zpsajamcl4f.jpg

After the trip Ive got a small list of things to get started on/continue tweaking and the motivation to do so!  Continue tweaking carb, replace low profile carb hat thats cracked and leaking fuel/boost under boost (can smell it in the car), get Unisteer's help on figuring out a dead spot in the rack and knock out some rust spots Ive been noticing lately.  Oh...and I did get a couple pics of a dream car that I hope to own one day.

IMG_20140906_134722414_zpsa0m34ukp.jpg

IMG_20140906_134624982_HDR_zpsuz8cp5go.j

Anyways, thats it for now...fantastic weekend with friends and family has come and gone and now its time to get back to work...at work and in the garage lol

Matt

JohnC likes this

Congrats.  Looks great.  Sounds like a fun trip.  But if you're like me, you stress about the car breaking down so much it kills some of the fun.  It will take a lot of driving mine around town before I'm confident enough to do a big road trip.

After you get that carb figured out, it will be time to switch to EFI and start over.  :winkgrin:

JohnC likes this

Awesome! You just about have the old girl running perfect! :w00t:

Agree with Mile. I think we all stress about the little bugs we have with our cars and at times it can kill some of the fun. :lol:

Get her out more often and just enjoy it! :3gears:

Yeah I was HOPING to have all the stressful issues not only found but sorted out, fixed and most importantly, out of my mind/worries.  That didnt happen but the car proved itself on the way up and the only tool I touched the entire trip was a pair of pliers to pull the cotter pin I have holding the breather cap to the valve cover so I could top off the oil.  The poor rings in the motor must be shot after all the fuel I threw at it in the past, she smokes pretty bad under heavy boost and used about a quart or so of oil to get the Gatlinburg.  No worried tho, its proving itself to be worth keeping up with and rebuilding!  

Mike...after doin all Ive done to not just learn about carbs, but more specifically...how a 2 barrel holley responds to blowthrough on an inline with my gearing etc etc etc (not the norm and often wildly different from other builds Ive read about and taken advice from) there are still some mysterious quirks that Ill either iron out or just have to deal with in the future.  That said...Ive eyeballed numerous ideas on going FI from TBI style to drilling and welding bungs to the intake for 6 injectors etc.  Would be kinda cool to NOT have to worry that my tune was done at a lower altitude in warmer weather and is now lean across the board for an entire weekend LOL.  Then again, if I get this carb thingamagigger figured out Ill stick with it for simplicity and $$$ sake.  If I could burn some cash on it I would grab a new aluminum head with removable intake and either go EFI or just do another blowthrough carb setup.  For now things are heading in a good direction and the attention the turbocharged inline got this weekend was a (constantly needed) reminder as to why I havnt gotten rid of it already.

Matt

JohnC likes this

Heck yeah man she did great.  Poor shortblock is wore out but relief is on the way lol.  The steering rack is coming out and being shipped back to Unisteer.  Talked with them on the phone and they said the play in the steering wheel (which I traced all the way down to the rack just to rule out loose connections in the universals) is not ok and that they will either fix it or replace it.  Pretty good customer service.  I ordered it from Summit and it didnt come with the option to add the special tie rod ends for the Granada swap spindles.  It came with ends for V8 and I6 spindles but not the Granada.  Called em up, they shipped em free and had them in a couple days.  If the rack comes back without any slop in it the old girl will be solid as a rock steering wise and Ill be happy with the suspension and steering finally!!!  

On another strange note...I showed the pics from this years event to a guy on another Mustang Forum and he asked about Spike's 67 coupe.  Come to freakin find out, its a "Pacesetter" Mustang which was sold in Indiana before the 1967 Indy 500.  They were all white coupes, blue interior with blue stripes and came with either a 289 or 200, 3 speed manual or C4 auto only.  Only 324 were made, 93 of which were inline sixes (his used to be) and the kicker is, as of 2013...only 4 were known to be in existance and 2 of them were parted out cars.  Not as well known as the California Special cars, but similar deal for Indiana Dealerships from Ford.  Who'da thunk it?!?!?!?

Matt

Kpate and JohnC like this

On another strange note...I showed the pics from this years event to a guy on another Mustang Forum and he asked about Spike's 67 coupe.  Come to freakin find out, its a "Pacesetter" Mustang which was sold in Indiana before the 1967 Indy 500.  They were all white coupes, blue interior with blue stripes and came with either a 289 or 200, 3 speed manual or C4 auto only.  Only 324 were made, 93 of which were inline sixes (his used to be) and the kicker is, as of 2013...only 4 were known to be in existance and 2 of them were parted out cars.  Not as well known as the California Special cars, but similar deal for Indiana Dealerships from Ford.  Who'da thunk it?!?!?!?

Matt

Don't let the old farts in MCA know this. they will chastise y'all for ruining a good car and knowing a 5th one exists, they will :shitbricks:  :shitbricks:  :shitbricks:  :word:

Nah, the car is on the road and being enjoyed so screw anyone who thinks were doin somethin wrong!  I told him if it were a shelby or GT or brass tag or somethin else really truely wanted and rare it would be a different story and we would be hunting down all the original parts that have been taken off over time but this car is just uniquely cool and the fact that its still being enjoyed and driven is good enough!  He was gonna strip it and paint it blue but now hes pretty much decided to stick with the white and have some new decals made for it to at least keep it looking somewhat correct.  200ci motors are easy to come by so if it ever got to be a big deal we would slap another in and call it done.  The original I6 is long gone (he blew it up in Highschool) and the I6 that replaced it is under my hood right now lol.  We could take it back to bone stock pretty easily tho if the value of the car was high enough to deem necessary.

Matt

Kpate likes this

After talkin with the guys at Unisteer, the rack is out from under the car and on its way back to be replaced.  They said it was absolutely not acceptable that there was even the slightest play much less 1/2" in the wheel so they are gonna take care of it!  Cant wait to get it back because that was one of the only complaints I had about the trip and if thats resolved I can FINALLY be happy with the suspension and steering safety and comfort/performance!  

On another note, washing the car to get it ready for Gatlinburg I noticed some rust bubbles that had spread since I last checked on em.  They are over the rear passenger wheel opening and spreading quicker than I had hoped.  The car was painted in 2000-2001 and has weathered the abuse along the way VERY well.  I had an issue with the same spot on the drivers rear fender and the body shop cut the rust out, replaced the metal and painted it back for FREE and this was probably 5 years after they initially painted it.  Unfortunately the body shop has since closed and moved on or else Ide happily pay em to fix it.  That said, I decided to stop the spread and try my hand at grinding the rust out and welding up the smaller pin holes.  After alot of practice and blowing out some of the holes thanks to the metal being thin from hidden rust I was finally able to get to good metal and get most of the holes patched successfully.  Now there are 2 large holes (by large I mean about the size of a thumbnail lol) that need patching.  Im not worried about this car being a show car or concours blah blah blah so Im gonna cut the holes out slightly to find better metal and try my hand at welding in some small patches.  Way I figure it...if I screw it up and it looks like hell...its still better than having rust running wild and eating the fender and when it comes time to paint again, Ill have it professionally looked at.  Till then...Im gonna let the sparks fly and see how bad I can screw it up LOL  When its all said and done Ill toss some primer over it to seal it up and keep it fresh.

Matt

I didnt get any pics of the offending rust bubbles but here are some pics along the journey that has been me, trying to figure out how to clean up, repair and most importantly, stop the rust from spreading.

First I sanded it all down to clean metal and thought to myself...its just a handful of holes, Ill just weld them up.  After practicing on a pretty new sheet of steel I had the confidence in myself and the settings on the welder (thanks Pate!).  Nope.  The rust had thinned out a couple areas and I guess I was being a little too light with my "pecking" to find the thin stuff and remove it.  I successfully tacked a majority of the holes but created many many others in the process.  I cleaned up the panel to see where I was and sprayed some primer on before calling it a night.

IMG_20140911_084045897_HDR_zpsz4i3ii3p.j

I debated on leaving it as is and just slicking it over with filler until I decide to get it painted and have it fixed further from there but I got to thinking...I cant mess it up beyond the ability of a Pro to fix it correctly (unless I burn the car to the ground that is lol) so why not try to do a little better.  After ALOT of reading I got back out and tried again.  I found weaker/thinner metal on top and below the damage area and got to work cutting it out and making a patch for each.  Cleaned up the patch as well as the fender lip and got to work,

IMG_20140912_191032455_zpssoxrxmdv.jpg

IMG_20140912_192244159_zpskdb5soz6.jpg

Welding the top of the patch blew out even more metal so I had to take it out and make a slightly longer patch but eventually I got to nice and solid metal.  YES...I know my tacs are all over the place and ugly but they worked and I was happy!

IMG_20140912_193740631_zpsa8ivwgq0.jpg

Lower patch

IMG_20140912_195121361_zpsmyicmwtl.jpg

Got the tacs cleaned up and hit it with some 80 grit to see where Im at

IMG_20140914_162524848_zpsrbpepcff.jpg

IMG_20140914_164827703_zpsfcfvbcvr.jpg

Not perfect and will need some shaping but Im super happy and its 100x better than the rusty mess that was down there before.  Slicked some Bondo on for good measure

IMG_20140915_084358340_zpsffhmdvey.jpg

Gonna shape it the best I can for now, hit it with some primer and call it done.  So long as it stops the cancer from spreading then Im happy.  If whoever does my body work down the road (not any time soon) asked about it Ill own up to it and take whatever hell he sends my way but hey...I did it and enjoyed it in the process so who cares lol.

Matt

mstrpth likes this

Had I let the rust go that is exactly what I would have had to get goin but the rust is so small Im hoping this knocked it out for a while and I can hold off and re-skinning it!!!  Im really excited about the availability of new sheet metal for these cars, I could build the entire thing brand new if needed.  Luckily the body is in awesome shape and rust is minimal for now so fingers crossed...no need to any new panels anytime soon!

Matt

JohnC likes this

Couple really thin layers of Bondo and some sanding later and Im making progress.  Still have a couple spots that need some additional sanding and then Ill start going with some higher grit paper to finish it off.  Not sure if Im gonna try to paint as well just for the hell of it or if I wanna leave it alone after this...never know lol

IMG_20140918_085011877_HDR_zpsx52hvwoo.j

Matt

LOL very true!!!  Gonna have alot of slicking out to do before then tho...its getting there tho.  It wont be a permanant fix I dont think but if it holds up and looks decent enough until I do decide to get it painted by a pro again then Ill be happy as hell!

Matt

Its the same paint on the 99 Mustang GT so it should be real simple to match.  Theres no flake or anything either.  I might be able to spray it myself real easy just have to be able to match the clear and learn how to fade to try and blend it all in.  If I cant do it my Mom's best friend's husband has a paint shop and he keeps wanting me to swing by...might take it over and see if he can show me how to do it.  Its not a 911 to get the color on it tho as I dont really care at the moment.  If I can blend it easy enough and get it back up to snuff then cool, if not Ill keep it like this for a while and keep cruising, just with a little less cancer to worry about!

Matt

JohnC likes this

I think it looks great for what you're working with. I had a 72 buick skylark years ago and it had lots of rust and I swore I would never have an old car with rust again. I have since realized almost anything old and cool that I can afford has rust. I think the key to dealing with it is having the right tools. Doing what youv'e done with a flux core welder is pretty good. Keep at it.

Kevin Tetz (from trucks tv show) has a lot of good bodywork videos. From dent work and rust to painting. He has a lot of youtube stuff now too. NI have a DVD of his where he dent repairs a door and blends the paint.

I had a fender painted for my car. The previous owner cut a hole in the pass fender for exhaust. I picked up the fresh painted fender today and it looks awesome. I want to learn paint and body now. I'm starting to think about my next project and I'm not going to let rust keep me from doing something cool.

JohnC likes this

Mike, I painted two cars going on 20 years(!) ago.  One had much rust and dings.  I spend HUNDREDS of hours making repairs.   I'll make the claim that a lot of bodywork takes a little bit of "artistic touch".  I'm more mechanical and lack the "feel" for bodywork, thus progress was SLOW.

Not to slam you, but for a machinist to do bodywork...good luck!  lol!

66Sprint, you've got the right idea for a temp fix.  That's not far from the way I fixed my GTO back in 1994, it lasted about 10-12 years before the rust started to bubble under the paint.  Now it's cracked open and needing a re-do.  But you've bought yourself several years I'd bet.

Thanks guys...several years will be more than enough to make me happy!  I mean, rust happens, especially in the rear quarters of these Mustangs.  This body was professionally stripped, repaired and painted back in 2000 or so and it went back a couple years later with rust bubbles on the drivers rear.  It happens and I now have an idea and more important, the confidence to knock it out piece by piece should it come up again.  I will say tho that there are certain areas I dont dare touch and pray I never have to do so but for these small spots Im all over it!

Small update and small boost in my confidence that I didnt make a small ugly spot into a big one.  Finally got some good sanding time in and was able to shape the fender lip rather nicely...at least for my abilities and to my eye.

IMG_20140919_083938684_HDR_zpsjkkz4ztt.j

IMG_20140919_083944486_HDR_zpswujaulmd.j

Just need to do the slightest amount of "feathering" i guess you call it to the bottom of the repair then it will be smooth and look alot cleaner.  It feels perfectly smooth to the hand but the eye catches a slight lip at the bottom.  Another coat of primer and a quick sand with some 180 grit might resolve it as well, we shall see.

EDIT: Oh, and the bottom pic has a bit of an illusion of a low spot but its just the angle playing tricks, I worked hard to get the lip as close to correct as I could and am very happy with the final results!

Matt