Rate this topic:

1,395 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, Ashley P said:

I haven't DD a manual in YEARS.:(

But, I'm fixing to get paid to test drive an LS1 w/6 speed.  That count?

Careful those 6.5" 10 bolts hate the manual cars, lots of shock to that ring gear.

Drove the dirty/dusty POS for about 45 minutes last night and decided to take it to work this morning to try and shake down any issues. 

Dusty.jpg

Outside of the damned fuel pump being louder than the exhaust (new in the tank 255 is just as loud...maybe louder than the inline 255) and a couple small hiccup/surging when cruising/idling, she fires right up, goes thru the gears and gets down the road real nice.  Small things...small things between near perfection and where its at now and its definitely better than its EVER been so Im happy.  Tank appears to be venting properly, no pressure is released when the cap is removed, all the fuel lines are brand new and there are no major kinks or restrictions to speak of so Im looking at a 190lph pump based on the recommendation of a couple folks who have been there/done that (including Walbro themselves).  Cheap enough and a quick easy swap to see.  Im gonna get with Disney to look at the slight lean hiccups while cruising...Im sure I did something to to make the tune very so slightly unhappy with the new tank, pump and adding the cats.  The idle surge will be a fun bit of tinkering but otherwise all easy fixes!  

On the plus side, the new radio works and music can be heard most of the time.  Three point seatbelts are comfy and you forget they even exist until you go to get in and out of the car and latch them which is awesome.  Exhaust is MUCH quieter most of the time and the most annoying part of the drone has been knocked down a notch.  Still loud but nowhere near as annoying.  Cats and rear sound deadening stepped up and the results are tangible.  Best of all...NO MORE STINK!  Im super happy about that much.

Matt

mstrpth likes this

If I wasnt running to freakin Huntsville this weekend to drop off a motor I would in a heartbeat!  I will be out there in the next weekend or two if all goes well!

Matt

Yeah...I know I knoooow.  I will have wife and kid in tow and they might not have the patience.  Lemme see tho...might be able to do a quick stop and go without pushing my luck toooooo much.  Send me your address on Facebook or text and Ill look into it.  If they decide they dont wanna do a 9 hour round trip in the truck with me then Ill DEF swing by on my way down there.

Matt

4 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:

Drove the dirty/dusty POS for about 45 minutes last night and decided to take it to work this morning to try and shake down any issues. 

Dusty.jpg

Outside of the damned fuel pump being louder than the exhaust (new in the tank 255 is just as loud...maybe louder than the inline 255)K!  Im super happy about that much.

Matt

On 7/23/2018 at 9:19 AM, 66sprint6 said:

Vent 1.jpg

Sweet car!  (For a Pinto, anyway. :D)  

I'd bet that nice hard fuel line is transferring most of your pump noise.  GM used a "pulsator" between pump line to dampen vibrations.  It was female on both ends to slip over the pump output and steel line.  That *could* be a solution.

Disney likes this

Could be.  Its fairly quiet when you first fire it up but the more you drive it the louder it gets.  There isnt any pressure in the tank and i can pull the gas cap off and drive it around and it still screams.  Its not hurting anything function wise but its extremely annoying.  No big deal tho, Ill get it sorted.

Matt

JRANGER likes this

My alternator setup has never really impressed me.  Could never quite get the pulley alignment spot on and there wasn't enough adjustment to be able to get a belt as tight as ide liked.  On top of that I had to clearance the sway bar mount so the alt wouldn't touch it.  You can see black dust all over where the belt isn't quite happy and it squeals from time to time.  Anyways, the Mountaineer I got from Art had a new(er) alternator on it and the mount was complete so I got to work seeing if it would work.  After clocking the alternator plugs, moving the oil dip stick, bending the heater core hard line and messing with the intake a bit..it's gonna work just fine!  Now I have perfect pulley alignment and a tensioner to keep the belt tight and happy.  The 4G alternator is easy enough to wire up and other than adding some sort of bracket to keep the intake pipe off of it, I'm golden.  Some paint and wiring and it should be done.

IMG_20180812_161352298.jpg

Doesn't look too bad either.  At least not enough for me to not wanna run it.  I also kept the driver's side bracket in hopes of maybe adding AC down the road.

Matt

On 8/6/2018 at 11:50 AM, 66sprint6 said:

Man Im getting headaches from catless cars these days that I never used to get...or never remember getting at least.  My eyes burned and my head hurt super bad after FOLLOWING the 66 to and from the dyno day in the GT.  Thats too much and I finally said hell with it.  High flow cats are easy enough to get these days, flow well enough to not be THAT bad and my welder burns metal still so I wont have to worry about that down the road on any future hotrods/projects.  

HA heck no, I pulled the auto out way back and until my knee breaks in half and I have to replace it...and likely after giving the new knee a shot at it, itll have 3 pedals!!! 

Matt

Convert to E85? :yes:

I'm going to try resonators on mine first because the drone and vibrations in my car drive me absolutely crazy!

I seriously wear ear plugs when I drive it now.

I'm going to let Mike weld a pair of Borla CrateMuffler Resonators in with the AEM wideband bungs when he and I get a chance.

I never smell much exhaust, but when I do, the E85 smells good to me.

So the cats will be a last resort for noise reduction.

Yeah that was a thought (I love me some E85) but we roadtrip to an area that has NO E85 (yet) so thats out.  The high flow cats did the trick for the smell, knocking some of the volume down overall and reducing the drone volume slightly was a byproduct but it didnt reduce the drone much at all.  Resonators will reduce rasp and deepend up the sound for you but wont touch the drone.  Cats will reduce volume but not drone.  Muffler design is where your drone is coming from.  Helmholtz resonators (pipes welded at 90* off the main exhaust) have been known to help but you have to have room to put them.  I had one on the ST and it was night and day with and without it.  Corsa mufflers are the best out for drone-less sound on these newer rides.  If I was you Ide have the Corsa's that you took off welded back up before Ide ever waste time welding in resonators.  THEN ide weld in the resonators to reduce the rasp that Longtube/Corsa Extreme muffler combo's produce...oh wait, I actually DID do that :lol:  When I bought the GT it only had Magnaflow axlebacks on it and the drone was beyond annoying.  Now I have Longtubes, X pipe with high flow resonators and Corsa Extreme mufflers and no drone at all.  We still roadtrip the car without any issues.

Matt

JohnC likes this

5 minutes ago, 66sprint6 said:

Yeah that was a thought (I love me some E85) but we roadtrip to an area that has NO E85 (yet) so thats out.  The high flow cats did the trick for the smell, knocking some of the volume down overall and reducing the drone volume slightly was a byproduct but it didnt reduce the drone much at all.  Resonators will reduce rasp and deepend up the sound for you but wont touch the drone.  Cats will reduce volume but not drone.  Muffler design is where your drone is coming from.  Helmholtz resonators (pipes welded at 90* off the main exhaust) have been known to help but you have to have room to put them.  I had one on the ST and it was night and day with and without it.  Corsa mufflers are the best out for drone-less sound on these newer rides.  If I was you Ide have the Corsa's that you took off welded back up before Ide ever waste time welding in resonators.  THEN ide weld in the resonators to reduce the rasp that Longtube/Corsa Extreme muffler combo's produce...oh wait, I actually DID do that :lol:  When I bought the GT it only had Magnaflow axlebacks on it and the drone was beyond annoying.  Now I have Longtubes, X pipe with high flow resonators and Corsa Extreme mufflers and no drone at all.  We still roadtrip the car without any issues.

Matt

Dang. I'll hate to cut off these mufflers to kill the drone. They're actually really nice. :(

I know it man, I hunted high and low to get rid of the drone and still have a wicked sound (hate the way most coyote cars sound) and the cobbled together mess I put together is the best sound ive heard, flows enough to make serious power and there is no drone what-so-ever.  I wouldnt hesitate one second tho if I were in your shoes to do just that.  Get rid of the drone and get back to enjoying your ride!  There was a day where drone was cool by me...I actually liked it.  Not anymore and these newer motors/exhausts are SO MUCH louder than what I dealt with back then and they can ruin the fun if they are too much.  Corsa's did the trick for me and you can read up on it over and over where others switch to Corsa mufflers and solve the issue.  You already have the mufflers, do the research and if you find the same things I was finding then bite the bullet and have em welded in!

Matt

Small progress. 

Got the bracket painted and in the car, dip stick reliefs cut into it and now it sits nice and solid without being too tight to let the dip stick out and the alternator wired up.  Got a belt on it last night and after I get the IAC cleaned up/painted and back on the car I can fire it up and make sure the new alternator is up to snuff.  Then Im a simple bracket to hold the intake off the alt and this little job is done. 

Exploder Alt Bracket.jpg

Despite the fact that the alternator is up where all can see it, I actually like the looks of this much better than my hacked together setup and its much much much more solid and simple.

Such a silly project but for some reason it brings me great joy to have done it and everything worked out.  Now I have a tensioner and belt squeal/slip should be a thing of the past and I no longer have to deal with the alternator touching the sway bar mount.  I should be getting the new fuel pump in today so that will be next then its off to Disney's for some tender loving care.

Matt

On 8/11/2018 at 7:21 PM, Ashley P said:

Sweet car!  (For a Pinto, anyway. :D)  

I'd bet that nice hard fuel line is transferring most of your pump noise.  GM used a "pulsator" between pump line to dampen vibrations.  It was female on both ends to slip over the pump output and steel line.  That *could* be a solution.

I thought about that as well, but the pump is mounted in rubber and has a rubber line from the pump to the hat. I'm not sure how much would be transferring out of that. I could make up a -6 line to loop the inlet and outlet and test it though. 

I also wonder if the tank itself needs more isolation from the body. Is there a bead of sealer or Butyl rope between tank and body? Maybe that with some rubber mounting bolts? Food for thought....

66sprint6 likes this

Well, GM has the pump mounted in rubber and either a rubber line or "pulsator" to connect to the "sending unit".  I'm thinking it's the "water hammer" effect.  Maybe.

The tank has 2 rows of 3m strip caulk between it and the car.  Another guy that posts fairly often on a Vintage Mustang Facebook group has the same tank/pump setup but used some PTFE hose between the pump and his main lines and he said his 255 pump was so loud it was mind numbing.  Mine is louder than the damned exhaust and his car is a little 6 banger with EFI and stock exhaust so I can only imagine how terrible it was for him.  He swapped to a 190 pump and said its whisper quiet now.  Ive had 2 Walbro 255's now in two different configurations and both were loud.  I got a 190 that should be coming in today to try out and if THAT pump is loud then I will definitely swap the hard lines in the trunk out as a test just to see if it does anything.  Outside of that Ill be looking for any obstructions/kinks in the hard lines and go from there.  Luckily it has NO effect on this thing running nice, its just obnoxious.

Matt

Fuel pump swapped, its MUCH quieter at prime and you can still hear it after the car gets warmed up inside the car BARELY but outside the car you can hear anything but exhaust.  I cleaned up the IAC valve inside and out while I had it out for some paint and tho it wasnt as dirty inside as most that I see, it helped the idle out quite a bit (so far).  Ive put some miles on it and shes running nice, no leaks and all seems well.  Im piddling around with chasing some driveline/wheel/tire vibrations but nothing that hasnt been there all along.  Gonna get with Disney this week to check over the tune and make sure its still happy then just a short list of maintenance before its ready for the road trip.  Every time I mess with it I get a little wiser and the car gets a little better!

Matt