Rate this topic:

1,353 posts in this topic

Will you need a fuel pump by chance?  I'll send the inline Walbro 255 and pre-filter your way as well unless your gonna run a mechanical style pump (which I would if you stay carbed).  You can have the tank, come and get it man.  Ide bring it to ya this weekend but I don't know that I have time to go out there and back.  I'll see tho!

Matt

Yeah I'm planning to stay carved but I'm going to see the 72 this weekend so we will have to play it by ear. Plus I need to drive the truck so if it's raining may not work. I have stuff for you regardless

Yeah no worries I'll have it out sometime this week if I have time I want to get this project done quick so I can move forward but the old tank can chill against the wall for a bit till I need the room.

Matt

Took a road trip in the GT up to Asheville for the weekend.  Despite the rain we had a BLAST as always.  When we got home I got to work on getting the tank out of the 66. 

Tank out.jpg

SUPER simple, came right out and the lip it mounts to is in perfect shape and cleaned up really easily with no rust or rot to speak of.  Hardest part was draining 12 gallons of fuel using only a 5 gallon can.  I used a wire wheel to clean up the old sealant and sprayed some rattle can bed liner down and called it quits.  I need to sort out routing the new lines from the hardlines to the tank, drill the holes and get all that together then Ill drop the new tank in and try to button it all up.

Matt

1 hour ago, 66sprint6 said:

Took a road trip in the GT up to Asheville for the weekend.  Despite the rain we had a BLAST as always.  When we got home I got to work on getting the tank out of the 66. 

Tank out.jpg

SUPER simple, came right out and the lip it mounts to is in perfect shape and cleaned up really easily with no rust or rot to speak of.  Hardest part was draining 12 gallons of fuel using only a 5 gallon can.  I used a wire wheel to clean up the old sealant and sprayed some rattle can bed liner down and called it quits.  I need to sort out routing the new lines from the hardlines to the tank, drill the holes and get all that together then Ill drop the new tank in and try to button it all up.

Matt

Good news, as the tank support area is prone to rusting out on the 1st Gens.  Good luck with the upgrade!

66sprint6 likes this

I was thinking about running some of the Earls PTFE hose into the trunk either 1) through two holes with rubber grommets next to the factory hole that the fuel gauge wires runs through or 2) through some sort of bulkhead fittings.

Then I was going to put together a short false floor out or MDF or plywood to raise the trunk floor slightly and protect the lines allowing us to use the trunk for Shades etc.

If I were to run hardline into the trunk I would have to have some way to connect to the hardline thats already there but I have PLENTY of hardline laying around but for some reason I would almost rather run the PTFE braided hose.  

Im open to suggestions and brain-storming tho.  I want it durable, reliable and safe and it wont be hard to achieve whichever way I go.

Matt

Luckily, I have a TON of hard line left over from running it originally.  Looks like a short, fairly straight run will be made then ome bulkhead fittings out of the trunk and then it would only take some light modding of whats already down there to connect the after pump filter, still mounted where it is now as well as the return line.  Should be pretty straight forward.  Im sure the plan will change as times goes on but this shouldnt be too hard to get right!

Matt

JRANGER likes this

Oh the good times. Really should of hit it with some rust stuff before bed liner though

I did actually.  Brushed it down to bare metal in the corners, clean paint around the rest and then hit it with some rust prevention paint and then bed liner to top it off.  I will put some strip caulk down and then set it in place for good once Im ready then hit the tank itself with the bed liner and some sound deadening.

Got the pump setup measured, cut and together.  Nice and simple.  Will allow for easy maintenance in the future which is nice.  The baffle it sits in down in the tank is quite large so hopefully that will get rid of any starvation issues we were having before.

In Tank Pump.jpg

Dropped the tank in just to see how it fits.  Like a glove.  Very well made piece.

Tank fit.jpg

Just got to get a couple parts in and then I will get to work connection the fuel lines.

Matt

mstrpth and Disney like this

Tank is in and other than the fact that strip caulk is a ROYAL PAIN IN THE ASS, it should be good!

Tank in.jpg

I got the bulkhead fittings as well but ran out of time to get them in.  Spending the night under the GT used up most of the wrenching time for the weekend so its time to hang out with the family some!  

Matt

mstrpth likes this

did you get the 3M in the blue box or something different?? for it to be a pain I'm thinking something different.

Was always jealous of the flip open gas cap on my Buddy's 67 Mustang so seeing that I needed a new cap...or to rebuild the original, I found a couple options to add a flip open.  First try was way off but this 1970 cap did the trick!

Gas Cap 1.jpg

Gas Cap 2.jpg

Centers up the panel better than the stock cap does and looks like it belongs.  It was a bolt in deal too so if I get over it, I can remove and put the stock cap back on.  Moving on to connecting up the fuel lines and then building a false floor to protect it all.

Matt

After unsuccessfully attempting to heat up the trunk panel in front of the tank in order to allow the bulkhead fittings and fuel lines to be straight, I cut out the section and did what Disney and I had been talking about doing all along.  The charred peal and seal is from that attempt.  Small cutoff wheel was giving me fits so out went my give a damn and in came the grinder.  I put together a super simple 90* bend with some sides to box it in and surprisingly enough it fit up really nicely.  

Bulkhead (1).jpg

Bulkhead (2).jpg

You can laugh at the over-cuts.  Its a goofy place to work and I was getting sparks in my glasses and hair so I wasnt on my game.  I Lebron-ed it...sorry.

ANYways, here it is welded up.  The bottom row and right side was super nice to weld but the top and the right side gave me fits.  Its solid now.  Little seam sealer on the underside and some paint and itll be gooooooood.

Bulkhead (3).jpg

Bulkhead (4).jpg

Im gonna put some peal and seal around the box and then I will likely use the shelf it created to help hold up the false floor I will build to protect the fuel lines.  

Matt

Disney and Mike like this

cut a piece of 1/2" MDF  to fit the floor possibly some 1x1 or 2x4 blocks as bracing for the rear and sides and finish off with wrapping it in carpet

Ha I want it running again so I can enjoy it more than anything.  More power might be down the road never know but not anytime soon, it's already quicker than I was planning!

Matt

ls1adam84 likes this

Fuel lines in, just need to wire and add the vent tube and then I can get the false floor started.  Ended up scuffin up the liner I sprayed on the top of the tank but oh well, Ill clean it up when Im done and give it another coat.  Noone will ever see it anyways when Im done.

Trunk Lines.jpg

Been slow going but Ill get some free time eventually and get it finished up.  Leak test then fire it up and drive it around again.  Cant wait...but wont be doin it in this 90+ degree weather.

Matt

mstrpth, Disney and Tino like this

Yes!  Once its leak free and everything is in place then Ill tidy up some.  Ive got a bit of a chore ahead getting the sending unit to talk nice to the fuel gauge but I have a plan of attack in mind.  Leak free first, then go from there.

Matt

Ashley P likes this