Rate this topic:

1,303 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, KNIGHT347 said:

I always thought it was weird that B&W T5s use Dexron 3 verses gear oil.....heard some people use GM Synchromesh in them

I used synchromesh in my t5’s and loved it.

11 hours ago, Nostalgic1 said:

I used synchromesh in my t5’s and loved it.

Used it in my Tremec 3550 which is now called the TKO....

It was actually the recommended fluid for it. :yes:

EARLY T5's and some NWC T5's used gear oil but later models and WC versions used ATF (Dex III at the time I believe?).  

I had BG Syncro Shift II in it when it blew.  I wont blame the fluid by any means, I blame wheel hop and a quick shift but I wont go back to BG simply for the price and lack of availability locally.  Ive heard alot of folks use Syncromesh and even Tremec recommends it (along with Mobile 1 ATF).  Valvoline Max Life has a cult following as well.  Cant go wrong with any of em, Ill snag whatever of them I can find tonight and get to pouring.

There is a track day at Buffalo Valley Sat morning and part of me...way off in the back of my mind...is thinking about trying to cruise the 66 out there, make a couple passes and cruise home.  I still havnt done anything to address the wheel hop issue so it probably wont happen but I DO want to get out and make some passes one day, see if I can shake the curse from the turbo 6 days.

Matt

Disney likes this

Im NOT a fan of wrapping up and snapping off my shaft so I will be looking into traction bars ASAP.  If that doesnt do the job the rear leafs will be replaced.  Ive also got an Explorer 8.8 that I will be cutting down for it so itll all be apart again eventually anyways.  Not in any hurry on that tho, with the car running and driving Ill be able to work at my own pace and only have the car down a day or two when it comes time to mock up and install!

Matt

Off the jackstands and running goooooooooooooood.  Drove the dirty bastard to work this morning even.  Shifts quite a bit tighter than the old T5, its not a bad thing tho, its very notchy and once your rolling its actually good stuff.  Getting into 1st and reverse can be a pain but Ive had worse T5s in that respect.  I think I can finally move on to other projects...3 point seat belts, rear center belt for Luke, rear seat to trunk divide plate, radio that works...etc etc.  MOST of the exhaust stink is out of it after patching the giant hole in the trunk but Im getting a fairly heavy smell of gasoline in the cab ONLY when cruising along.  Im thinking sealing off the trunk entirely will help, also gonna patch up some holes in the firewall as well as the shifter hole in the tunnel.  Goal is to be able to get to Pigeon Forge with Luke on board, safe and happy.  Easy work when you dont have to worry bout the motor/trans anymore!

Matt  

Disney, ls1adam84, JohnC and 2 others like this

They're asking if anyone wants a tune so they can figure out what time we need to be there to get out by 3:30pm.

Chime in if you do because I need to let them know.

@Nostalgic1 do you need a tune? He sounded real excited about the Coyote Fox when I told him!

Another thing.. This guy I called said they normally are closed on Saturday, but they'll make an exception for 5 cars on the dyno.

So don't stand me up and make me look stupid by not showing up! :lol:

Disney and JRANGER like this

Disney is gonna tune on the 66 while were there but I likely wont have the cash they want to tune on the GT or else I would be down to see if they could see if anything is left on the table power wise.  I wont be missing it unless the world collapses, Ill be there.

Matt

Posted (edited)

15 hours ago, JohnC said:

They're asking if anyone wants a tune so they can figure out what time we need to be there to get out by 3:30pm.

@Nostalgic1 do you need a tune? He sounded real excited about the Coyote Fox when I told him!

Another thing.. This guy I called said they normally are closed on Saturday, but they'll make an exception for 5 cars on the dyno.

I won’t need a performance tune, but I have thought about having Taylor provide a “ghost cam” tune for the car.  Here’s a clip of a stock coyote with one:

Doesn’t do anything for performance but it sure would sound wicked.

As for not showing up, the only way that would happen is if the coupe is not road ready/legal by that date.

Edited by Nostalgic1
66sprint6 and JohnC like this

15 hours ago, JohnC said:

My stock v6 challenger could use a tune called V8 :)

66sprint6 and Ashley P like this

Ive seen some of the magic Taylor works on anything from stock to WILDLY modded.  I wont have the cash to have him fool with the GT this go around, especially with dynoing two cars but I will talk to him about what he sees when the GT hits the rollers and see what he thinks.

Matt

Yeah for sure.  If he thinks Lunds tuna is lacking in flavor then I will make a point to go back and see what he can whip up!

Matt

Well Im gonna say that the 66 finally broke the curse of not wanting to show up on dyno days and track outings (still need to conquer that one!).  Went in simply to let Disney dial in the tune for 93 octane and both agreed that 250whp would be ideal.  Taylor let us have quite a few extra pulls, Disney put in the work and the results did more than surprise me!!!

66 Dyno.jpg66 Mustang 302 dyno.jpg

On top of that, she drove all the way out there, made 8 pulls AND made it all the way home with only the slightest of hiccups coming from my fuel pump setup.  Hell...it even gave my GT, which had just put down surprisingly nice numbers as well, one hell of an ass whoopin on the way home.  Note to self, the Coyote screams to 8k rpm, dont be afraid to use 2nd from a roll (driver mod FTL).  Another note to self...the 66 is the sexiest thing Ive ever got my ass beat by.  

Thanks again Disney.  You started the fire under my ass to get the 66 back to where I WANT to drive it again, you got it driving AND now you got it makin really solid numbers.

It cruises well now, can handle abuse a-plenty and is MUCH quicker than I ever even expected.  Now I need to sort the fuel system out, work on how smelly the exhaust is and quiet the interior down a bit.  When all thats said and done I would also like to look into adding an EPAS setup to make steering less of a pain at low speeds/tight parking situations.

Matt

mstrpth, Disney, JRANGER and 1 other like this

Man, it was 110% MY PLEASURE. It was a hoot dricving the 66 there and back with all the attention it got while Matt was riding behind me in what mony probably thought was a rental car. lol   Getting the jump on the '15 and letting the 66 eat it's lunch was pretty sweet, almost as sweet as the sound of that Coyote coming back by me at 7500rpm. That car is one sweet cruiser now! 

JohnC likes this

HA!  Disney was gettin all the looks and I was gettin the leftovers, from old women to ghetto cruisers.  Ill get it in my head that 2nd gear is goooooood in the Coyote one of these days.  Then again maybe not till after I find some rubber, tried it last night for fun while doing some datalogging and blew the tires clean off till the 2-3 shift.  The 66 is actually quicker than I was even ever hoping it would be with what little is done.  Love it.

Anyways, new EFI fuel tank and in-tank pump will be here tomorrow.  Get it in and some new PTFE hoses made up to get it and the hardlines together and then maybe the fuel issues will be sorted.

Mat

Disney and Tino like this

New Tanks Inc EFI tank, and Walbro 255 in tank pump came in!  Hopefully this will solve the issues Disney uncovered last weekend!

IMG_20180516_195047032.jpg

I'm gonna get the old tank out and then plan the routing for the new fuel lines.  Once I get it running right and happy I'll make a simple platform to cover the top of the tank and protect the lines from luggage and other crap.

Matt

mstrpth likes this

It is normal and is PERFECT inside and out.  I was hoping to find someone who might need it.  Its been painted and had bedliner sprayed on the trunk floor portion but it's shiney and brand new inside where it counts.

Matt

JRANGER likes this

2 minutes ago, 66sprint6 said:

It is normal and is PERFECT inside and out.  I was hoping to find someone who might need it.  Its been painted and had bedliner sprayed on the trunk floor portion but it's shiney and brand new inside where it counts.

Matt

I'll buy it off ya. Ill need one eventually

Edited by JRANGER