Rate this topic:

1,352 posts in this topic

Thanks for the offer but I have one now as well!  Im actually quite surprised at how simple it is to take it down to where Im at.  The main shaft and all the gears isnt even all that bad, worst thing being having to find a press to get the bearings off.  The bearings on this one appear to be fresh so Im not even going there THO I likely will on the on with the beat up 3rd.

Matt

Dang man, that really does look fairly easy to tear down. 

Much nicer than my stupid FWD grand prix gtp trans, but I did that with it still in the car like a doofuss.

Auto's are a different story...I dont like messing with em.  Guy who I used to get to do all my work at the Ford Dealership back when I worked there was a wiz with them.  I cant count the number of times I took a "break" and went back to shoot the **** with him and while we were talking he would be tossing together a trans like it was no big deal.

Matt

ls1adam84 likes this

Yeah man, I honestly like manual's for how easy it is to build them, shifting is fun too.

I would like a liberty one day.

Also I might be selling off the Camaro, and getting a Ford product, but it's just a little 4cyl Ford from the 80's. :)

66sprint6 likes this

3 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:

DO IIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!

Matt

A little Turbo Coupe for weekend cruises and maybe some spirited driving from time to time.

I would have to put it on MS2, and put a MAF on it plus an hx35 turbo and a few other little goodies.

Won't be nearly as fun/fast as your mustang there.

66sprint6 likes this

1 hour ago, ls1adam84 said:

A little Turbo Coupe for weekend cruises and maybe some spirited driving from time to time.

I would have to put it on MS2, and put a MAF on it plus an hx35 turbo and a few other little goodies.

Won't be nearly as fun/fast as your mustang there.

MS2 dont need no MAF. It does fine on SD.

66sprint6 likes this

Dont have much to show for it but I had a decently productive weekend.  I got both the "rebuilt" T5Z and the WCT5 completely apart, cleaned up and took inventory on parts between the two.  I got new bearings and a couple small parts needed to freshen up the rebuild and then went to Harbor Freight and bought a press.  They were having a decent little Easter sale so why not!  MAN I LOVE THIS THING.  New bearings are on both the countergear and main shaft and Im now in assembly mode.  I was only able to get the counter gear shaft in place last night before I had to call it a night but I added a steel stabilizer plate from 5speeds.com and set the preload according to his directions (2-4 inch lbs drag to make it spin).

New Retainer.jpg

Here is the old retainer.  It is very thin and does not provide any sort of bracing to the case or the countergear shaft itself.  The inside doesnt even fit the shims or bearing race, the aluminum case of the trans holds the race in place.  With the new piece, the race and shims are contained. 

Old Retainer.jpg

One Retainer 2.jpg

Small bit of insurance, and for the price its worth doing.  Ill get the rest of it together this week when I get a moment and hopefully back under the car shortly.  Cruising weather is upon us and I dont want to miss out!

Matt

Disney, JRANGER and Ashley P like this

Doesnt deserve a pic BUT I got the trans together finally. 

Back together.jpg

Everything checks out so far, only thing left to do is toss it under the car, add fluids and go for a drive.  I also took apart the Tri-Ax shifter, cleaned it out and put new grease in it.  I got the proper speedo gear for it while I was at it so Im hoping this will help get my speedo closer to correct as well.  All I need now is a free moment and the give a damn to crawl under and wrestle it into place!

Matt

JRANGER, mstrpth and Nostalgic1 like this

Slow and sure at least.  I didnt have time to get the trans back in but I noticed that in pulling the trans, the clutch disc was off center and I couldnt get it back so I pulled the bell, pulled the pressure plate and figured it was a good time to measure and see if the bell was centered (or at least within spec).  It measures out juuuust within spec so Ill toss the clutch back in and get ready to put the trans back in place.  The cruddy weather did nothing to motivate me to get it back running but I know its only a matter of time before the cruising weather is here!

Matt

Had a free moment last night before Kathleen and Luke got home so I got to work on getting the trans back under the car.  Didnt think I would actually get as far as I did so Im pretty happy.  Just need to put the driveshaft back in and fill with fluids and Ill be back to cruising!

Matt

JohnC and Disney like this

Exhaust is up, driveshaft in and little odds and ends sorted.  Just some ATF and a shifter away.  No reasom it wont be ready whenever it is we finally have the dyno day.  Ill be shooting for #1 and #2...lowest rwhp #'s but ill be havin twice the fun as anyone else so its all good!

Matt

Disney likes this

10 hours ago, Ashley P said:

Some ATF?  In a manual?   That sounds like a tranny issue...   :roflmao:  

I always thought it was weird that B&W T5s use Dexron 3 verses gear oil.....heard some people use GM Synchromesh in them