Rate this topic:

1,063 posts in this topic

When you bought the 66, how much did you give for it?

You don't have to say, but I'm curious what these go for in the shape your car is in (a driver).

If Ide get off my *** a buy a welder I could dust of what I learned years and years ago and get back to welding again, but for now its a good way to hang out and BS so why not!!!

Got the car back last night so I tossed the steering wheel in along with the new Hurst shifter handle.

IMG_20140812_083926024_HDR_zpsavwxbgvh.j

IMG_20140812_083912740_HDR_zps9acnzm1n.j

The horn quit workin back in the day and I now have an idea as to why, but Im not convinced that I care to fix it.  I took the horns out themselves cause one of em quit workin and tossed em long ago.  I have some from an old F150 that Ill put back in if I decide to get it working again.  For now, the steering wheel is on and altho its not 100% what Ide want, its good for what I need and thats more leg room without installing a tilt column.  The shifter is coming back out to get cut, bent and welded back up in order to lower it slightly then Ill grab a hurst boot to finish it all off.  Rain came in and swamped the garage before I could drill the holes for the tool box plate so that will be done this evening!

Matt

Steering wheel looks real good in there!!! did you get those bungees that I showed you?

JohnC likes this

When you bought the 66, how much did you give for it?

You don't have to say, but I'm curious what these go for in the shape your car is in (a driver).

My parents bought the 66 back in 1997/98 for $3500 from a family friend with roughly 65K miles on it and altho straight as could be, it lived outside its entire life and it showed.  It was originally a light silver blue but the sun damage had turned it stealth bomber grey.  There was minimal rust here and there and a couple small dings.  The interior was nearly immaculate save for the front seats being a bit worn and the dash pad being a bit saggy.  I drove it like this for a year or so and then we painted it in 99/00.  The body work has held up decent and the paint still looks awesome to this day despite goin through highschool, college and the years after.  You can still find similar shape cars for similar money no problem.  My buddy bought his 67 shortly after I got mine for $6500 and its still in awesome shape today.  I run across em from time to time and have to hold back from jumping on em...way I see it, one at a time till Im a little more happy with this one...or until a deal I can refuse comes around LOL

Matt

JohnC likes this

Yeah Kevin, I went and got em.  They were a little short but I just used the extra "S" hooks and made em work.

Bolted the base down to the trunk of the car and crimped the "S" hooks to the back holes so they wont go anywhere.

IMG_20140812_192953434_zpsudhnyiav.jpg

Looks better than I coulda hoped really.  Shes not going anywhere either, gotta use both hands to get the bungee free.

IMG_20140812_193105695_zps2ilagiwv.jpg

All I gotta do now it toss the CD changer back in and seal some holes and the trunk will be good!

IMG_20140812_193137244_zpstxbyytf0.jpg

I also cut the shifter, changed its angle a bit and had Pate weld it up for me.  MUUUUCH better now.  I didnt take any pics as I got to workin on a new console idea Ive had floating around my head a while.  Rather than make one I spent an afternoon at the junkyard looking at different consoles, pulling them and running over to a gutted 65 Mustang and seeing how they fit.  I finally found one sitting next to an Accord and it fit like a glove under the dash and doesnt go past the shifter which i wanted.  Im cutting it up now and its actually looking promising.  Reason for it is I wanted a cleaner way to mount my switches, timing retard and CD player controller.  The gauges hangin under the dash will also get put in the console if I stick with it which will be a plus!  Gonna fiddle around with is some as well as try to figure out a way to cover up the Ebrake handle's junk a bit better as well over the next little bit between tweaking the carb and knocking down a couple other safety issues.

Matt

Yeah man, I meant to look for some pics of when I first got it but forgot.

One step forward...two steps back.  Thats the name of the game with this car it seems!!!  Step forward?  After going over my notes a little more and reading up a bit I decided to swap out the 8.5 powervalve for a smaller numbered one.  Reason being that under light to moderate (not WOT) acceleration the car was going PIG RICH...like meter wont read it rich.  I watched the vacuum and saw that it was dipping well past where the PV was supposed to open, and after drilling out the PVCR bleeds (screw in so I can change em anytime) its obviously gonna be rich.  Put in a 4.5 PV that I had layin around and took it out.  SCORE!  Now the entire setup from idle to cruise to part throttle acceleration to WOT is **** near linear and rich across the board at 12.5 or so AFR.  Hell, she even quit runnin lean under boost and ROCKED out around 12.5 all the way till redline in each gear at a little over 15psi boost.  Noticed a good bit of smoke (possibly oil smoke?) between shifts and when I came to a complete stop after a hard run she smoked for a couple seconds then it all cleared right up and was spot on perfect.  Turned around, blasted it a couple times on the way home and all was well except I noticed the idle acting funky.  It started pulsing slightly every couple of seconds and the vacuum needle would move slightly.  Then when I got it home the idle dropped, vacuum gauge dropped 4in and stayed there.  I adjusted the idle speed screw all the way out and it wouldnt die so definitely have a big time leak somewhere.  Sprayed around the engine bay with carb cleaner...nothing.  Checked all my vacuum lines, nothing.  Took the carb off the car and checked the new gaskets I just made for it and made sure the carb base was still on tight...nothing.  After making the gaskets the carb base came loose a couple days later and I tightened it back down.  Im hoping maybe the gasket didnt like that and had an issue so Ill make new ones tonight and see what happens.  Otherwise Im kinda at a loss and looking for other possible culprits.  Hope its nothin serious cause I was finally getting this sucker close.  Even running rich where it is now she runs better, smoother and has ALOT more power than before.  If its nothing serious Ill hopefully have it back up and going so I can keep up the momentum on the carb tuning/learning!

Oh...almost forgot.  New steering wheel may not look 100% how Ide like...but it more than makes up for it in how awesome it feels going down the road.  The car is infinitely more stable and controllable with it and the new shifter is awesome as well.  Heres to hoping I can knock this vac leak out and move on.  Deep down I know the ole shortblock is tired...hell it was tired when I put it in there and with the amount of blow-by I deal with I know its only a matter of time before she will need attention but Im hoping I can keep abusing the little ******* for just a little longer before I have to dive in and freshen her up.  If I can get it running nicely and get the turbo setup consistantly happy then I will have NO problem tossing the time and cash at it to rebuild it.

Matt

The butt dyno says were making a noticable amount more than before for sure.  Its squirly on the road now and will scream 2nd, kick the back out ever so slightly and then bark 3rd JUST like this smiley    :3gears:   The most noticeable difference is how it now pulls all the way through the RPMs till my shift point and then pulls hard again.  Before it was super laggy and would fall off up top either going too rich or too lean and popping.  Despite this the car showed quite a few people its tailights when goofing around so this excites me alot now that its more consistant and the power stays on through the RPMs.  The boost comes on alot quicker and more violently now too...and I like it!  If I can get it cleaned up a little more Ill put it on Gage's (or someone else local) dyno and see what the whp #s look like not only at peak but across the curve vs my last dyno at Karma.

Still havnt got the leak sorted out yet.  The carb is off and Im filling in some slight imperfections on the gasket surface of the intake.  I made sure the carb adapter was true and is good to go and checked the carb out as well.  New, thinner gaskets are made up and ready to go once the intake is good to go.  I grabbed a PCV valve for an 86 SVO while I was out and will swap it into my catch can setup too for good measure along with some tweaks to the catch can itself which is allowing oil to get into the intake (needs a baffle).   Im crossing my fingers on this cause she has literally never ran this nice on and off boost.   I know the shortblock is tired and the rings are letting quite a bit of pressure and oil past em but she still gets up and hollers when you romp on it so Im hoping and praying I can get it sorted out.  Like ive said before...if I can only get it happy enough to get the tuning down pat I feel like Ill be satisfied enough to not feel bad tossing the time and money at rebuilding the bottom end.  If I CANT get it sorted out and it continues to be a thorn in my side, it might be time for a change.  Again, fingers crossed!

Matt

Didnt get the Mustang back running again this weekend, decided to slow down, take my time and hopefully sort a couple issues out along the path of tryin to find this vacuum leak.  Spent most of my time trying to make the carb plate gasket surface a little better on the intake.  In order to direct mount a 2 barrel on the log intake, you have to weld some areas up and then mill it flat.  Previous owner of the head (went 10s in the 1/4 with it on a 250 in his wife's Falcon) did all the work and it obviously worked well for him.  There were some minor flaws, specifically where the welding met up with the intake itself leaving some "cracks" or channels that boost might force its way thru.  I filled them, sanded everything flat as I could and attempted to get rid of some high spots.  Everything looks alot better now for sure!  Not sure if itll help or not but I sprayed some copper spray on it and the lower gasket in hopes that it would fill any imperfections left over.  I tightened down the carb plate making sure to use some loctite this time.  Last time I didnt at first and noticed the carb plate was loose.  Took the carb off and tightened it down.  Im hoping that this caused my eventual leak.  I noticed that the turbo oil return line is leaking so Im gonna take it apart and see what the deal is.  Its aweful close to the downpipe too so Im looking at either wrapping it or the downpipe to help keep things a little cooler.  Im also reworking one of my PCV catch cans which wasnt very effective and then Ill be able to fire her up and see whats up.  Fingers crossed.

Brian (with the NASTY turbo 351 67 Mustang on here) and I got together this weekend to pick up an 8.8 for a friend and he tossed a complete, carb to pan 200 inline in to sweeten the deal...or get it outta his garage LOL but hey, either way I wasnt gonna pass it up.  Gettin it outta the truck was another bit of entertainment for the neighborhood (involved the ditch in front of the house and an engine stand...and thats about it) but its a solid looking motor, no leaks and everything appears to be fairly fresh in the way of gaskets and paint.  It has a later model 250 "big log" head on it so whoever rebuilt it knew what they were doing too which is awesome.  I really appreciate it Brian, this little sucker might actually make it under the hood of the 66 once I get this carb dialed in and quit washing out cylinders running so rich!!!  Oh, and I got the valve cover for your son, just holler next time your around!

Matt

JohnC likes this

If it doesn't hold a gasket this time, bring it to me and I'll weld/ re-mill it flat for you.  I can probably cut it for a big fat o-ring also, so you can quick messing with cutting your own gaskets.

JohnC and 66sprint6 like this

If it doesnt get it fixed Ill DEF take you up on that offer!!!  It could use the welding anyways to give it more shoulder and maybe add 2 more holes to help hold the carb plate down as well.  I appreciate the offer!!!

Matt

If it doesn't hold a gasket this time, bring it to me and I'll weld/ re-mill it flat for you.  I can probably cut it for a big fat o-ring also, so you can quick messing with cutting your own gaskets.

You da man, Mike! :up:

Pate came over and helped put together a 2" drop bracket to move the alternator away from the turbo a bit.  When I get the alt out Im gonna address the leaky oil return line and see if its clogged up at all while at it.  Im almost done repairing the catch can and will be adding some "baffling" to it.  If I cant get it fired up tonight Ill try to hit it up tomorrow so I can see if the vac leak is gone.  After that its back to the carb for some minor adjustments before i call it good enough for now!  Alignment, all 4 wheels balance (again) and then itll be ready for Gatlinburg!

Matt

JohnC likes this

Progress has been slooow goin in the garage this week.  With 14 days and counting till Shades of the Past and only 1 of the 2 weekends free, Ive been working every evening to get the old POS back in shape, running and then sorted out before we leave!  Pate and I put together a new brace for the turbo to replace the old weak one that allowed the turbo and Jpipe to sag a bit.  Took a bit to get it right but now shes rock solid, level and altho not as high as I wanted (for alternator clearance) shes out of the way and hopefully not going anywhere anytime soon.  Adjustable too which had already proven helpful when putting the alt back in!

IMG_20140822_083725255_zpsqmr3em8p.jpg

She aint pretty but function over form at this stage in the Mustang's life.  I also decided to wrap the Jpipe and Downpipe with titanium exhaust wrap and the oil return line with a heat reflecting tape.  Im gonna make a new gasket for the oil return and she will be back on and ready.

IMG_20140822_083741062_zpspmffwn56.jpg

While under the car finishing the Downpipe wrap, my damned 9/16 gear wrench fell off the fender into the engine bay, hit the downpipe and then smacked me in my mother effing lip.  It wasnt even a straight shot...it hit three different parts before busting my upper lip.  Thank GOD it was the 9/16 and not one of its bigger buddies but **** lol.  Blood sweat and tears right?

While putting the alternator in I noticed the waterpump pulley was loose.  No problem, glad I caught it I went to snug up the bolts...which were tight already.  Hmmmmmmmmmm.

IMG_20140822_083757389_HDR_zpsl5bk79xs.j

Anyone see the issue here?  The danged thing is cracker from each hole to the next in the shape of the waterpump flange.  Its cracked all the way around and clean through each hole...yet the center piece wont come free.  If I smack it with a hammer or really give it some grief it will come apart but as it sits, its held together somehow lol.  Very strange.  Go figure its the ONE part I forgot to grab from the motor that Brian gave me so Im off to his place this weekend to snag it.  

Gonna put everything back together, put a new belt on it and then fire her up praying that the vacuum leak that started this mess is gone and all is well!!!

Matt

Good progress! :up:

Just be glad that wrench didn't smack you in the teeth and earn you a dentist bill!

I was using two custom tire tools to remove a a tire and it slipped when pressure freed up and hit me on the mouth before I knew it. The incident knocked my crown inward, so when I pushed it forward with my tongue, it was loose afterward. So off to the dentist I went to get it fixed.

FWIW...

I shattered and broke that front tooth with a piece of exercise equipment when I was a kid. It was like being punched in the mouth by Mike Tyson bare knuckles!

Yeah ive seen worse happen so Im glad it was a little wrench and I had braced for impact or else my teeth woulda taken the blow rather than my lip lol.  

Progress is slow but sure.  I have a plan this weekend to get her fired back up to try and resume tuning.   

Matt

A billet ANYTHING from Mike would be awesome but for now Im gonna keep it low key and I need it quick.  Maybe one day if I can get the thing ironed out Ill rebuild it, paint it all nice and have some serp. pulleys put together for it!

Matt

JohnC likes this

Got her fired up this weekend after finishing up all the little projects I had started around the engine bay.  Took me all afternoon after geting back form getting the pulley from Brian and go figure, the second I get it to fire a thunderstorm rolled in.  Lightning hit somewhere in the neighborhood and lemme tell you, thats the closest to crapping my pants without actually crapping em Ive come in a while!!!  Danged garage just amplified the sound lol.  ANYways, its running and has a couple exhaust leaks Im gonna take care of then I can get to tweaking the carb again.  She idles smoother than ever and almost sounds like shes idling faster than the tach reads but its right...just stange to me.  Im gonna mess with the idle first and if everything else is happy Ill prolly leave it till after the trip!

Matt

JohnC likes this

Mustang runs like a CHAMP!!!  Got the idle close enough, still need to look at making some IAB changes as my idle air adjustments are way too picky.  Once you get close, the SLIGHTEST twist makes a HUGE difference in A/F.  Its pretty decent right now hovering in the upper 13s.  Driving around town is a dream.  Smooth as butter outside of a very small and very brief hesitation under light acceleration from going lean which I will attempt to iron out tonight and she runs lean anything under 5-6psi boost.  I havnt stepped on it just yet but plan on tightening everything up tonight, swapping out the PV and then seeing where Im at.  Ive been making detailed notes which have helped a ton.  So close to having a car that runs and drives...like a normal car for once!!!

Matt

JohnC likes this

Oh if I can get it running decent enough and shes still happy after Gatlinburg Ill venture back to Union Hill and try for redemption!  The 66 has NEVER made a good pass down any dragstrip and I would love to try again now that the stalling issues are sorted out.  Would love more than anything to see what kinda mph I can get out of her and compare to the BlueCoupe.  Ide also be interested in seeing what the 66's times are like compared to the BlueCoupes when it was on street tires (same tires actually).  The 66 feels faster, actually it kinda always has but its never been able to collect itself and get down the track worth a flip but from a roll it would scoot.  We shall see!

Matt

Just got the car back from Maxi Muffler.  They re-did the Jpipe and tweaked the downpipe for clearance.  They even wrapped them both with new wrap seeing that they had to remove the stuff I JUST put on LOL

New Jpipe

IMG_20140829_121541780_zpsbxlpmghk.jpg

Downpipe tweaked a bit.

IMG_20140829_121534164_zpswhlzpnoy.jpg

Now the pipes dont hit each other or the steering/motor mount and most importantly...they seal up nicely so no more freakin annoying leaks!!!  When I get back into town next week Ill finish up the best I can on getting the carb sorted out and then itll be time to go!  All Im really wanting to get right is PV size and then hopefully Ill be able to do some WOT runs to make sure the AF is in line and if not, get it sorted out quick before we go.  

Matt

JohnC likes this

Didnt post my latest saga of testing and failures.  Messing with the powervalve to get the right one and I blew a boost pipe on 70s.  No biggie, crawled under it and put it back on knowing why it blew and taking the blame completely.  Fired back up and hit the road again and noticed the temp rising which it hasnt done all summer.  GREAT!!!!  Then I decided to hell with it...im gonna drive it till it blows or at least see how hot I can get it just to see whats up.  She never went over the 210 mark this go around but my mind got to thinkin about something that came up earlier this month regarding the alternator...heat soak from the turbo.  I got to wondering if the sensor for the temp gauge was getting heat soaked during longer trips due to it being RIGHT next to the exhaust manifold and turbo.  When I got home I poured some water over where the sensor screws in and watched the temp reading go WAY down.  I let the temp go back up again and blew air on it from my compressor, same thing.  After it cooled down some I took out the torch and heated the air around the area, not the sensor itself and watched the temp rise.  This got me wondering if I ever had an overheating issue in the first place!  After some research I saw that the 67 and newer inline sixes had the temp sensor moved to the rear of the head away from the exhaust and the heater hose moved to the front port.  Went out and looked at the motor Brian gave me (from a 67) and sure enough, thats how it was as well.  With this in mind I set out to move the sensor to the rear and the heater hose to the front.  After picking it up from getting the alignment done I made the necessary changes and topped off the coolant.

Went to fire it up last night in order to burp the coolant and the damned thing wouldnt fire up.  After some rummaging around I found the starter to be shot.  Couple smacks with a hammer and it came alive enough to start it up and pull it back in the garage.  Gonna add that to the list of things to do today!  I tossed some new plugs and wires on after removing the old starter and called it a night.  

I realized I never posted a pic but I got a shift boot to go with the new shifter handle.  Unfortunately its a little snug around the base of the shifter and I can see it tearing eventually but hey it was $10!

IMG_20140904_083846062_zpshc19mzoi.jpg

Now at least the interior will look halfway complete while at Shades of the Past.

Tonight will be busy.  New starter, burp coolant, road test temp issue and then toss the CD changer back in, new windshield wipers and put new rear shocks on if I have time.  Fingers crossed that my temp experiment yields good results.  Ill take the embarassment of thinking I was overheating the last two years and all the bottles of water and coolant I tossed at the damned thing just to know it never had an issue and all is well LOL

Matt

JohnC likes this