Rate this topic:

1,410 posts in this topic

What's strange is that I don't remember this vibration when it left my place. I mean, it wasn't balanced smooth, but it was "normal" for a 5.0. But even now, it doesn't seem THAT bad. It seems these issues all started after the oil pan removal and such. Maybe toss a red rag back down into the oil????

mstrpth and Ashley P like this

HA!  Ive got a fresh pack of red rags ready to go, maybe Ill top her off tonight with one or two :roflmao:

I swear this is new Disney, when I drove it around the couple days after leaving your place it was amazing.  Slight vibrations like you said but I was completely ok with em and wouldnt have thought twice about em.  I figured it was just old car norm.  This is a new vibration and its enough to make me think twice and Im only concerned that its enough to either 1) mean something isnt happy or 2) cause something to not be happy after a while.  My thoughts are still clutch related, especially after the massive change in pedal feel and engagement point despite having not touched anything clutch related.  If its not that, then it either needs a good balance or the bottom end isnt happy and either way thats a trip to the machine shop.  I got the new(er) balancer today for $40 and the rubber on it looks amazing.  Im gonna put it on here shortly, if nothing more than for peace of mind tho I dont expect it to change.  After that Ill look at another clutch, hear good things about Mcleod and a couple others.

Matt

ls1adam84 likes this

HA!  Im afraid it might be me that is cursed, ide give it to you and it would turn out to be perfect, make 450 to the ground, cut 1.4 60s on the street or turn out to be some rare GT350R rather than a run of the mill T code 6 banger car LOL

Good thing I love the ole bastard!  The only reason Im raising a stink about gettin it all smoothed out is Ive had a taste of what it could be like when sorted...and it was goooooooood.  Smooth it out, get it to hook up and drive straight and then enjoy cruising and abusing it at will.  Thats the goal and Im gonna achieve it dammit. 

Matt

4 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:

HA!  Ive got a fresh pack of red rags ready to go, maybe Ill top her off tonight with one or two :roflmao:

I swear this is new Disney, when I drove it around the couple days after leaving your place it was amazing.  Slight vibrations like you said but I was completely ok with em and wouldnt have thought twice about em.  I figured it was just old car norm.  This is a new vibration and its enough to make me think twice and Im only concerned that its enough to either 1) mean something isnt happy or 2) cause something to not be happy after a while.  My thoughts are still clutch related, especially after the massive change in pedal feel and engagement point despite having not touched anything clutch related.  If its not that, then it either needs a good balance or the bottom end isnt happy and either way thats a trip to the machine shop.  I got the new(er) balancer today for $40 and the rubber on it looks amazing.  Im gonna put it on here shortly, if nothing more than for peace of mind tho I dont expect it to change.  After that Ill look at another clutch, hear good things about Mcleod and a couple others.

Matt

I’m a fan of McLeod’s products.  It’s their twin disc setup I just put in the ‘65 and used their RXT line on both of my GT500’s in the past with no issues.

66sprint6 likes this

I don't know if things are different now, but 20 years ago the Ram "stock replacement" for my GTO was much more durable than the rear differential.  And the next rear differential.  And the pinion.  Totally happy with the clutch/pp.

ls1adam84 and 66sprint6 like this

Ram still seems to make decent stuff last I read.  My first clutch on the turbo 6 banger was from Ram tho it said Valeo on it.  It held WAY more than any 200ci shoulda thrown at it with ease and I only just replaced it right before the 302 swap.  Ive even tossed around the idea of having TN Clutch make me another one cheap to try out.  Ill cross that bridge after exhausting my options with the Centerforce.  I still like it and LOVED it on the BlueCoupe but if its the cause and it wont be tamed, then Ill toss it and move on.

Matt

ls1adam84 likes this

They built the dual friction disc for the 66 and tested/resurfaced the pressure plate for me and for stinkin cheap.  It felt GREAT too in the car tho I never really got to give it hell.  A guy in Nashville got it from me for his little 65/66 inline that might one day be boosted.  They are super cool guys out there too.

Matt

ls1adam84 likes this

my truck has 35x12.50 boggers. it shakes so much I'm scared the hood is gonna fall off. that said, just drive it and hope for the best :D 

seriously though, I hope you get it sorted out before cruising weather hits!

66sprint6 and JohnC like this

Heck yeah, itll be cruised till it either gets smoothed out or gets yanked and balanced professionally LOL.  Ive got more time than money invested in that bottom end...if it comes apart then Ill toss another in and do it again.  Im not missing out on another season of nice cruising weather.  I love my GT but cruising the 66 is much much much more satisfying.

Matt

mstrpth likes this

I don't suspect the CF clutch. And in all honesty, you don't need much clutch in that thing at all. The old standby "King Cobra" clutch is all i'd go with in it. Keep a light pedal and smooth operation. No need for a max grip clutch with 250hp. 

As for the vibration, I am stumped. Was smooth, had no oil pressure. Replaced pump, cleaned out rags, now it vibrates. Makes no sense.

Yeah I dont know what the deal is.  Everything was good till it popped that oil filter apart and let the bad voodoo out.  Maybe we should make people aware of the bad luck that can come if you blow an oil filter wide open.  Black cats and breaking mirrors aint got **** on this!

Cheap and reliable is all Im after on the clutch but again, thats only IF I undeniably prove without a doubt that its the CF clutch.  I like it too much to bail on it for no reason and your right, just about any clutch on the market will hold anything I throw at this thing.

Matt

On the clutch are you worried it's done this?

Image result for remove weights on centerforce

If so, just pull the trans and disassemble that weight junk.  That will make it nearly identical to everything else on the market.  Ram, TN Clutch etc.  I doubt you need the extra ~5% holding power those weights provide anyway.

I remember they have some retaining ring that comes off then you slide the weight out the center.

Ashley P and 66sprint6 like this

Yep thats what Im suspecting at least.  Im gonna get it in the air this weekend to check the mounts and Ill peek inside and see.  Ive read about tossing the weights and outside of a very very few who have done so and still had vibrations due to issues with the disc itself, its solved the issue.  I love the clutch for its pedal feel, street manners and ability to hold up to abuse...that extra bit of oomph from the weights was never a concern so Im all for trying it if that appears to be the culprit.

Matt

You know what helps with vibration issues? If you LS swap the mustang....

I am only kidding, ain't nobody got time for that kind of negativity!

I heard if you do a clutch dump at about 5500 rpms, it will help with vibrations....

NEVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!!!!!!!!!

Im gonna add that to the list of things to do if nothing else works.  Oh wait, no I wont, I gotta sort the suspension out first.  My will to live has been heightened considerably since Luke came along.

Found the tickin noise in the BlueCoupe a similar way.  Powershifted the 1-2 shift around 6K rpm and the tick went away!!!  It was replaced by loud banging noises that didnt stop until I shut the motor off :shrug:

Matt

mstrpth and ls1adam84 like this

41 minutes ago, 66sprint6 said:

NEVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!!!!!!!!!

Im gonna add that to the list of things to do if nothing else works.  Oh wait, no I wont, I gotta sort the suspension out first.  My will to live has been heightened considerably since Luke came along.

Found the tickin noise in the BlueCoupe a similar way.  Powershifted the 1-2 shift around 6K rpm and the tick went away!!!  It was replaced by loud banging noises that didnt stop until I shut the motor off :shrug:

Matt

That's good for it isn't it?

Loud banging always means something is working properly.

66sprint6 likes this

I dont know bout that, but what I do know...the ticking went away! :D

Still have that block and most of the other broken junk from inside it laying around the garage somewhere.

Matt

5 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:

I dont know bout that, but what I do know...the ticking went away! :D

Still have that block and most of the other broken junk from inside it laying around the garage somewhere.

Matt

Battle Trophies nonetheless lol

66sprint6 likes this

Took a quick minute to try and tackle a large list of "what ifs" and "do ya thinks" and "I wonders" and feel like I might have actually made some headway.  First I took the lowering blocks out.  Disney pointed out that they werent even touching the leafs/perches in some places and were probably not helping the wheel hop issue brought on by the smallblock's low end grunt.  Glad I did as they are all sorts of wonky!!!

Wonky Blocks.jpg

Picture doesnt even begin to show off twisted/warped they are.  I was able to put the correct width, 3" U bolts back in as well rather than the longer, and wider ones that were in with the blocks.  Hopefully this will help dial back the hop, but more importantly, keep the rear end from steering the car under WOT like it did the other day.  We shall see.  Im thinkin that Ill find some better (Eaton maybe, Maiers if I have the cash) 2" lowering springs and maybe look into some Traction Masters or similar bars.  

I also tossed in the brand new (damned close at least) balancer up front and moved to the back.  The weights on the clutch are exactly as pictured in Mikes post, nowhere near centered BUT they move easily when pushed with a screw driver so I imagine they arent stuck so they shouldnt be causing any vibrations when running.  The motor turning with then spin them and they should center up like designed.  If they were stuck like in Mike's picture and were creating bad wear marks then Ide remove them.  That said, I dont think Im going to need to do so after looking at my last suspect...the tran mount.

Trans Mounts.jpg

Thats the best thing I saw the entire time under the car.  The left side of the trans mount is touching the crossmember metal to metal AND the bolt holding the mount to the trans is smashed into the crossmember hard enough to be gouging it.  Never been so happy to see a sloppily made part in my life.  I removed them both, cut an access hole in the crossmember and filed down the offending metal on the mount.  This HAS to have been the issue all along and will explain why the car was smooth for some time after getting it back from Disney and then it got the shakes all of a sudden.  Ill know more tomorrow, my little helper needed a break and I did too so we called it a day and went inside.

Little Helper.jpg

Matt

Mike, Disney, JohnC and 1 other like this