Rate this topic:

1,077 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, KNIGHT347 said:

Plates forward of the valve covers, looks open enough for four coils each

VC__INTAKE___VC

o o                              o o

o o                              o o

Similar to 4.6 Fords of late 90s vintage...any desire to adapt that stuff?

That was looked at BUT the LS coils have the plug in the rear so they would stick up way too high doing that on the driver side.  The passenger side I had tons of room.  I also had tons of room to put them on the passenger valve cover but not the driver due to the header design.  I found the location Im going to use and after some head scratching, how I wanted to do the mount, how the hell I was going to fit a drill in there and then how I wanted to set it up for ease of access and maintenance if needed, I think Ive got it sorted.  

The Exploder motor came with coil packs like what Knight showed, split 4 and 4.  Originally I was going to use them in the exact configuration he mentioned but one set the case was cracked and broken.  Ive never been a fan of those coil packs and Disney let me borrow a set of LS truck coils for mock up so thats what Im going to use.  Cheap, easy to find, great compact design and reliable.  Im pretty sure that gets me in to LSFest too yes?

Matt

Disney and Ashley P like this

These coil brackets have been tedious and slow going but they are done and in the car.

Coil bracket.jpg

Coil bracket 2.jpg

Coil bracket 3.jpg

In the car tucked away nicely behind the shock towers on each side.

Coil bracket P side.jpg

Coil bracket D side.jpg

Found some left over spark plug wires from when I last did the wires on the 66 but I didnt have enough boots so Im waiting on them to come in, then its wrapped up.

Matt

Plug wires are finished up.  Ended up making them out of the left over ends from a universal kit that I bought for the 66 a while back.  Bought some LS ends for the coils and 45* ends for the plugs.  Because of the header design on the driver side I ended up keeping the straight ends on the 2 wires I didnt touch from the kit.  I will be adding some plug boot protectors to keep them alive just in case.

Nothing too exciting, but looks good for what it is.

Driver wires.jpg

Passenger wires.jpg

Matt

Disney, mstrpth, Ashley P and 1 other like this

Truth!  Ive learned my lesson and this car deserves some time and attention.  I want this to go together nice, look nice, run nice and be nice to work on down the road when it's time for maintenance or a road side fix.  Then maybe I can move my attention elsewhere and fix some of the shoddy "quick fixes" I've done in the past.

Matt

Disney and ls1adam84 like this

Ok, now I dont have to worry bout whether the plug boots/wires are gonna flop over and burn up.  Im going over the top and booting up all 8 while Im at it, tho truthfully the only 2 that I was worried about were the rear driver side.

Plug boots.jpg

Gonna do the other side tomorrow, put the intake back on and then give it one more once over.  Might try to clean it up a bit while waiting for a spot to clear up in Disney's shop.

Matt

JohnC likes this

Both sides are done, pain in the rear!  I dont envy 351/stock shock tower guys AT ALL!!!  @JRANGER you should come see what I mean (forget...are you modding/removing the shock towers?) There is room, but barely and the driver side header makes getting to the rear 2 plugs a massive pain.  The two straight plug wire boots ended up being a shade too deep/long before they "clicked" on the plug.  Cut them down slightly when adding the heat covers and they are much less of a pain.  The entire passenger side is super close to the tower and it makes getting the plug wire on the plug a bit of a pain as well.  I would love to update the suspension down the road for better ride quality and safety...but the thought of shaving (or at least modding) the towers to allow more room add to the appeal.  Shes as together as I can get it at this stage and cleaned up from all the dust/grime/hand prints etc and ready to go to the next and final stage of the swap.  Wired up, fired up and tuned to perfection...cant wait!

Matt

Disney likes this

Meant to do this a while back but then the Photobucket BS went down.  Here are some other shots from the Mustang 6 Association's 6 banger show.  This show somewhat solidified the gut feeling that it was time to move on from the little six.  Like posted before, she ran great all the way there, looked great while there and attracted a ton of attention.  The ride home wasnt so hot but thats ok, its in the past.  Anyways, on to the pics.

This picture was posted in the M6A's monthly news letter and was the only pic they got of my car at the show if I remember correct.

M6A News Letter.jpg

Then a buddy of mine followed us up there and snapped these shots before he (wisely) ditched us to go to the BIG show going on downtown.  Had I known what I know now, we woulda bolted shortly after them and joined them.  Thats ok tho, we made the best of it!

M6A 1.jpg

M6A 2017 2.jpg

M6A 2017 3.jpg

Then, quite some time later, someone pointed out to me that Ford Performance had posted an article on their website about the show and the little six was mentioned and had a couple pictures included!  Link to the article:

http://performance.ford.com/enthusiasts/quick-look/2017/09/mustang-6-association-hosts-six-banger-party-.html

Ford Performance 1.jpg

Ford Performance 2.jpg

Ford Performance 3.jpg

Cool way to end an era tho.  I wont get any notice with the new setup BUT I will (hopefully) be driving the SNOT out of it as often as possible and Ide much rather that than some small time attention here and there whenever I happen to feel like getting it running right enough to take out again.  Moving on!

Matt

Disney and mstrpth like this

17x8 Torque Thrust II's with BFG Sport Comp 2's, 245 rear 225 front ( I can get the entire size if you want after work)  The fronts are the standard offset for most 60's mustangs (4.5?) and the rears are either 5.5 or 5.75 to accommodate for the stock width Fox 8.8.  Im going to cut it down the the correct width one day, sell the rears and buy a set of 17x7's in the correct backspacing, put them on the front and the ones currently on the front in the rear and learn my lesson about getting in a hurry and not cutting down the rear to fit in the first damned place LOL

Matt

Rolled her out into the chilly sunshine yesterday to make room in the garage for some short term storage and to move it on to the next and final phase of the swap!

Almost done.jpg

Almost done 2.jpg

At Disneys.jpg

Disney loaded it up and hauled it the mile or so to his house and it is now in good company of quite a few fast fords...and a delinquent Bimmer or two.  Hopefully some of the quick will rub off and make this old girl fun again!

Matt

ls1adam84 and mstrpth like this

On 11/20/2017 at 9:23 AM, 66sprint6 said:

Disney loaded it up and hauled it the mile or so to his house and it is now in good company of quite a few fast fords...and a delinquent Bimmer or two.  Hopefully some of the quick will rub off and make this old girl fun again!

Matt

And that will end the rapid updates on this project! See y'all next summer! lol

mstrpth, 66sprint6, JRANGER and 2 others like this

HA!!!  From me at least.  The following nap this thread will take will be WEEELLLLL worth it when its finally one step closer to being the car I always wanted it to be...and then some actually!

Matt

JRANGER and Disney like this

16 hours ago, Disney said:

And that will end the rapid updates on this project! See y'all next summer! lol

Takes a while to paint 'em green and turbo LS 'em, huh?   :yes:

Good luck on the connecting rod/oil pan clearance!  :D

ls1adam84 likes this

At least yours is faster then mine :) Which reminds me, i need to try out my USA Metal bondo stuff this weekend. 

Edited by JRANGER
66sprint6 likes this

26 minutes ago, 66sprint6 said:

I already LS swapped it remember?  As far as I'll ever LS swap it at least LOL

Good luck with the body work, keep the updated rolling on it!!!

Matt

You still need to put an LSX-R block in that thing... Haha I am kidding, I would never LS swap a first gen mustang.

66sprint6 likes this

2 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:

LS coils are far enough for me thanks HA!

Matt

I thought you wanted to make reliable power? 

I am only kidding man, I might have you help me with this in a few years when we get to it for my wife.

66sprint6 likes this

Windsor small block and reliable go hand in hand and I'm not looking to make all that much power.  Light weight car with no nannies will be fun fun fun at the power levels I'll be at and do it all day every day.  Plus I know em well enough and love working on em!

Matt

ls1adam84 likes this

Hey, LS engines are reliable.....after swapping the AFM/DoD camshaft/lifters, replacing the rear main seal, and the oil sump O-ring. :)   (Repaired another AFM #4 lifter last week, BTW.)   Go Windsor!   (I guess all engines have their problems.)

66sprint6 and ls1adam84 like this

On 11/23/2017 at 8:14 PM, Ashley P said:

Hey, LS engines are reliable.....after swapping the AFM/DoD camshaft/lifters, replacing the rear main seal, and the oil sump O-ring. :)   (Repaired another AFM #4 lifter last week, BTW.)   Go Windsor!   (I guess all engines have their problems.)

Well AFM/DoD isn't on every LS so that's not quite a valid argument.

The rear main seal is a normal SBC issue lol, the oil sump o-ring? There is no o-ring on the oil sump...

The pickup tube to pump o-ring doesn't go bad unless you remove it and you don't put it back in and seat the pickup tube back into the oil pump properly.

Matt I am very thoroughly enjoying this build man, this is awesome.