Rate this topic:

1,276 posts in this topic

On 10/17/2017 at 10:59 AM, Ashley P said:

...my 3 yo boy will take a leak, I gar-rone-tee!  :yes:

OH, yesterday my wife took the kids to a park for a re-enactment.  Several school buses had MANY kids there.  Guess who's kid used the motto "when in doubt, whip it out" and took a leak in the grass? :lol:

Cody and 66sprint6 like this

On 10/21/2017 at 11:13 AM, Ashley P said:

:doh: Can't teach Ford folks anything!

Cause we already know wink wink

LOL your Son know what's up!

Oh, and lubing up the clutch cable with dry lube worked like a charm.  It's nowhere near as light as the GT but it's closer to what I remember the Fox being like.  Will be able to tell more when it's running and driving.

Matt

Ashley P and higherpowerracing like this

Clutch cable lubed, small bracket put together and everything is mounted and adjusted according to the directions.  Final adjustments can easily be made once the car is up and running but it all looks and feels really nice. 

Bracket attaches to the giant idler pulley mount and allows everything to be happy, not melted and smooooooth.

Cable 3.jpg

Cable 4.jpg

I got the new throttle cable in and realized that the Throttle Body has far less movement from shut to WOT than the carb and literally only allowed about an inch of pedal movement under the dash.  I ended up cutting down and rewelding the top of the pedal where the cable mounts and relocating the cable.  Now I have enough to be happy.

Gas pedal mod.jpg

Throttle cable moved down a bit

Throttle 1.jpg

After getting that sorted I finished up the throttle cable bracket, trimmed the cable and put a return spring on it.  It feels good, works fine and should do the job!

Throttle 2.jpg

I went on and put the radiator back in and since I was out of time to get any radiator hoses locally, I got to work putting the front end back on.  Ive been staring at the empty spot where the intercooler used to be for a while now wondering if I should just cut the valance up again and extend it all the way to the radiator to take up the space or what but to tell the truth, it doesnt look so bad with it all back together again.  I cleaned up the cuts around the radiator some with a cutoff wheel and some paint and now Im probably gonna leave it alone until the car is out of the garage and I can look at it from a distance and then go from there.

Front On.jpg

Gonna get some radiator hoses going, top off the fluids, check it over a couple more times to see what Im forgetting and then itll likely be ready to move out of the garage and on to the final stage of the swap!

Matt

Cody, Ashley P, mstrpth and 1 other like this

We shall see, another project for another day.  Still wanna see it out of the garage before I decide.

And Im one step closer to doing just that!  I put the valve covers and the hood on last night to see how things were clearing and to see how much room I had for the intake tube Im working on.  Hoses are all done, fluids ready to be added, finish up the intake, toss some spark plugs in, a starter and look for any small things I might be missing! 

Almost there.jpg

Only thing holding me up is waiting on parts at the moment aaaaand they all should be here Monday DOH!

Matt

JohnC and JRANGER like this

Disney is going to work some Megasquirt magic using the Exploder EDIS wheel and sensor that made sorting out the accessories, serpentine setup and the timing chain cover a pain in the ass BUT itll be awesome in the end.  Plus theres a TON of room between the motor and radiator now.  If the low profile fan and custom shroud from the turbo setup doesnt cut it, I will have TONS of room for a bigger fan and more efficient shroud.  Intake fab should be done tomorrow then its just a matter of getting it welded up.  Starter and plugs should be here Monday so Im thinking things will be looking really solid middle of next week.

Matt

Cody likes this

Disney is going to work some Megasquirt magic using the Exploder EDIS wheel and sensor that made sorting out the accessories, serpentine setup and the timing chain cover a pain in the ass BUT itll be awesome in the end.  Plus theres a TON of room between the motor and radiator now.  If the low profile fan and custom shroud from the turbo setup doesnt cut it, I will have TONS of room for a bigger fan and more efficient shroud.  Intake fab should be done tomorrow then its just a matter of getting it welded up.  Starter and plugs should be here Monday so Im thinking things will be looking really solid middle of next week.

Matt

Awesome! He using micro squirt?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I cant remember what version of Megasquirt he told me he was going to put together but its gonna make it go vroom and do so reliably!  :yes:

Borrowed some aluminum scraps from Mike and had him stick them together for me.  Shes a fatty but fits (snug) and leaves room to grow...and grow...and grow LOL

Fatty Pipe.jpg

Coulda easily made a 3" or 3.5" pipe get by and would have been fine...but I always wanted an Anderson Power Pipe for the BlueCoupe so rather than hack up and re-use the old school, chrome BBK cold air that came off the Coupe...I decided to try for 4".  It ended up JUUUUST barely fitting so there she is.  Not pretty but neither is the Exploder intake under the hood but it should breath so its worth a shot!  Filter is a JLT 4"x9" with an open end.

Matt

Cody and Mike like this

On 10/28/2017 at 8:15 PM, KNIGHT347 said:

which route are you going on the EDIS?

On 10/28/2017 at 6:24 PM, higherpowerracing said:

Awesome! He using micro squirt?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Soooo... The plan today is to do an MS3X using the 36-1 wheel, Explorer cam sensor, and LS coils. I wanted to keep it sequential and leave room for future upgrades. MS3X will do that. I have thought a lot about going MS3Pro, but I don't think there's any value added over the MS3X in this car with its intended use. 

Cody, 66sprint6 and JRANGER like this

20 hours ago, Disney said:

Soooo... The plan today is to do an MS3X using the 36-1 wheel, Explorer cam sensor, and LS coils. I wanted to keep it sequential and leave room for future upgrades. MS3X will do that. I have thought a lot about going MS3Pro, but I don't think there's any value added over the MS3X in this car with its intended use. 

This is all a foreign language but it sounds exciting

mstrpth likes this

Im pretty much to the point of being done.  Mini starter came in and took minutes to install and wire up.  TONS of clearance all around from hot stuff.

mini starter.jpg

Then I finished cutting and rewelding the oil filler tube to sit straight up and clear the intake tube.  Now I can run the intake tube higher, away from the header heat.

oil cap.jpg

intake 2.jpg

Disney set me on another project since I made the mistake of telling him I thought I was close to being done...mounting the coil packs.  Im not sure that I have the hood height needed to space the upper intake off the valve covers enough to put them there so Im now looking at a couple options for mounting them off the motor.  I have PLENTY of room to do so, just want to make sure it looks clean and not too tossed together.  Also want it to be serviceable.  More on that another time.

Matt

It'll run mid to low 8's with nothing more than a little seat time once it's running.  That's a shade quicker than your SS has been...so yeah, pretty slow.

HA!  Its not gonna be a fast car ever. I want it fun and reliable. It won't take alot of power to make this little thing plenty of fun.  And if that changes down the road, plenty of parts available to step it up a bit.  I seriously just can't wait to be able to get it out on a nice afternoon and just cruise again.  Soon!

Matt

JRANGER likes this

4 minutes ago, 66sprint6 said:

It'll run mid to low 8's with nothing more than a little seat time once it's running.  That's a shade quicker than your SS has been...so yeah, pretty slow.

HA!  Its not gonna be a fast car ever. I want it fun and reliable. It won't take alot of power to make this little thing plenty of fun.  And if that changes down the road, plenty of parts available to step it up a bit.  I seriously just can't wait to be able to get it out on a nice afternoon and just cruise again.  Soon!

Matt

Im just trying to make a cruiser too, with over drive but.....i cant get 400HP out or my head. i dont even race lol

66sprint6 likes this

I ran a few cars in the 66 along the way, mostly turbo imports oddly enough and never saw taillights.  Bigger badder cars just shot me thumbs up, or did a double take at the intercooler and cruise on by leaving me to my own.  I never felt the need to go much quicker.  I know I will eventually with this setup BUT I also haven't had a decent driving setup in it in a while.  It was always something, had to drive it a certain way or it would cough, stutter, die, blow up, you name it.  Just to be able to get in it and go will be the treat of a lifetime.  Then I'll consider heads, porting the lower, stroked bottom ends, boost, spray, whatever.  I will likely be doing interior and body work before then tho!

Matt

11 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:

Im pretty much to the point of being done.  Mini starter came in and took minutes to install and wire up.  TONS of clearance all around from hot stuff.

mini starter.jpg

Then I finished cutting and rewelding the oil filler tube to sit straight up and clear the intake tube.  Now I can run the intake tube higher, away from the header heat.

oil cap.jpg

intake 2.jpg

Disney set me on another project since I made the mistake of telling him I thought I was close to being done...mounting the coil packs.  Im not sure that I have the hood height needed to space the upper intake off the valve covers enough to put them there so Im now looking at a couple options for mounting them off the motor.  I have PLENTY of room to do so, just want to make sure it looks clean and not too tossed together.  Also want it to be serviceable.  More on that another time.

Matt

Ive seen brackets made to mount with the outside valve cover bolts that the Coil Packs mount to.

66sprint6 likes this

I am looking into a couple options.  Valve covers are out for now, I can do them on the sides of the passenger side cover but when I went to the driver side to check I was foiled by the rear most tube which goes up and back to clear the steering I guess.  DANG.  Oh well, time to have fun with it and try to make it clean yet functional.

Matt

Disney likes this

Plates forward of the valve covers, looks open enough for four coils each

VC__INTAKE___VC

o o                              o o

o o                              o o

Edited by KNIGHT347