Rate this topic:

1,063 posts in this topic

Ok, this stuff ain't going anywhere so if you change your mind just let me know.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

66sprint6 likes this

2 minutes ago, dr.art said:

see... now come and get the damn 351

Well i got all this trade bait for ya so :)

23 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:

Small update just to keep things fresh.  Got the Export Brace finished, painted and on the car.

Export Brace Done.jpg

I also attached the heater hoses to the Foxbody hard lines and attached it to the intake.  I finished the fuel lines to the rails and only need to wire the pump and put some fuel in the tank in order to check for leaks and it should be good to go.  Tossed the intake on and got to work sorting out the throttle cable routing.  I had a Fox throttle body laying around so I took a grinder to the throttle shaft tab and pulled the throttle linkage off and swapped it to the Explorer TB.  Now all I need to do is put together a bracket and cut my cable down to size.

Throttle Arm.jpg

Matt

Mad scientist over here. Keep it up...

HA!  Nah, but it is great to have tons of parts laying around so I can pick and choose and hack up what I need to make it happen.  I was going to weld an extension on the other side of the Explorer arm and make it work but then saw some info on swapping the arms over so I dug up the only stock TB I have left and got to work.  Ive got the throttle cable bracket done and just need to look into adding a return spring as my cable doesnt have one like the Fox setups do and I dont believe the spring on the TB is enough.

Matt

Fuel lines done, Exploder rails exit to the Driver's side rear and I COULD have ran my lines to that side but the brake line and speedo cable all run to that side and it was too cluttered so I went passenger instead.  This isnt the prettiest solution but itll work!  Couple EFI push fittings and some more Earl's PTFE hose.  I tied it into the firewall but left enough room to allow for the motor to move around.

Fuel line complete.jpg

I also added a couple ground straps between the motor and frame/firewall while I was at it.  I have to make another for the 3G alt this evening.

Got the H pipe in as well.  Got it from JBA specifically for these headers, year car AND EFI with T5 swap.  Sounds really convenient...but, like the headers, the fit was a little off.  I dont blame JBA as much as I do the old car itself, LORD only knows how straight things still are on it lol altho Im not alone if you read the reviews on both the headers and H pipes but whatever.  I cut the crossover pipe a couple times until everything lined up enough to make me happy.  The Passenger side fits like a GLOVE but the Driver side is still a little bit off and it hangs a little lower than the passenger side, no matter what you do.  Its likely not low enough to cause any issues but I will find that out down the road lol.  I would like the driver's pipe to be closer to the trans crossmember BUT without cutting out the crossover pipe and likely bending the outlet a bit to fit its probably not happening.  It clears fine so Im moving on.  Im thinking about ditching the clamp on the crossover pipe and welding it up once I get the rest of the exhaust fit as well.  I already figured out that I can pull the rear trans mount and crossmember without removing the H pipe and the crossover is just behind the tailshaft so I wont need to take it apart to remove the trans down the road so why not.  All I need now are a couple straight pieces of 2.5" pipe and some time to weld it all up.  O2 added to the passenger side and a plug will be added to the other pipe as Disney says he only needs one for the EFI setup.

H pipe.jpg

Matt

Exhaust is done.  Was very straight forward and nothing more than a pain in the neck welding it up...literally, I need a pillow under there!

Exhaust done.jpg

I also wired up the fuel pump and pump relay.  Tested it out today and it works how it should and only one fitting is EVER so slightly weeping fuel if you can even call it that.  Doesnt even drip, just gets moist enough that I can feel it when I rub my finger on it.  Easy fix and itll be checked off the list.  

Matt

Got home last night to a small drip under the rear of the car.  ALL of my connections back there were bone dry...but the danged sending unit seal was leaking.  Gonna grab up the Vaseline and have another go at it.  Ill get it eventually.  Otherwise Im ready to move on!

Matt

Cody likes this

Was walking back to the garage from the shed and thought ide snap a pic of the CHAOS.

Chaos.jpg

Ive posted pics like this before, but this time its V8 swap madness.  Stains in the driveway from cleaning parts and rebuilding the motor, parts all over the ground, the car and the wall, tools and cardboard everywhere.  Its a madhouse...but thats how I work.  Itll get cleaned back up somewhat when the car rolls out of the garage and moves down the street a mile or two for the next phase of the transition.

Oh...I did manage, fingers crossed, to correct the seal on the sending unit.  The rubber seal didnt appear to be damaged (its brand new) by my first botched attempt so I SLATHERED it in Vaseline and tried my best to make sure it stayed put this time around.  No drips this morning so Im hoping thats that.

Matt

ls1adam84 and mstrpth like this

I could easily be jealous of how neat and organized your place is!   For the last several months I've depreciated local property values!  lol

66sprint6 likes this

I always say the same thing!  There are a couple houses for sale in the area and when new people drive through to see them I often wonder if they see my place and say "mmmmm maybe not".  Then again...Im not the worst in the area, theres a house down the way that makes ME shake my head lol

Matt

Fuel leaks are sorted out, the sending unit is dry and a couple new fittings sorted out the leak at the fuel rail.  Word on the street is that my cable clutch conversion will be here today FINALLY so out comes the clutch pedal and welding gear!  I also cut the throttle cable too short...again, so a new one is on the way so I can start over whoooops.  

Matt

Cody and JRANGER like this

2 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:

Fuel leaks are sorted out, the sending unit is dry and a couple new fittings sorted out the leak at the fuel rail.  Word on the street is that my cable clutch conversion will be here today FINALLY so out comes the clutch pedal and welding gear!  I also cut the throttle cable too short...again, so a new one is on the way so I can start over whoooops.  

Matt

And which thorttle setup are you using? I hqave the Stock i6 throttle rod so something i need to look into

A while back I converted to a V8 pedal and then ran a cable from it to the carb which was turned sideways on the little intake.  When I put the Aussie head on, the carb was turned the correct way and that setup would no longer work.  I changed over to a 1970 Mustang gas pedal and used a cable from it.  If you look back in this thread you will see pics and info on the swap.  If the Photobucket pics dont work for you, look for Disney's thread about the Photobucket Fix on here and it will make them work for you again.  This will be my 3rd replacement cable entirely due to my messing the old ones up trying to cut them down to the right size lol.  I made the same mistake when cutting the other one for the Aussie setup and didnt learn my lesson.  

Matt

Mustang Steve cable clutch conversion showed up so I got started last night.  Pulled the clutch pedal and welded the new quadrant to it.

Clutch cable.jpg

I then mocked it in place under the dash and got to work hammering the cowl floor to clear the new quadrant.  BLEEEHHHHHHHHH.  THAT sucked.  No room, laying in odd positions, neck now hurts, arm hurts HEAD hurts (extension I was hammering on fell on it).  It clears now tho and all is well.  I hit the fresh metal and the hammered section of the cowl floor with some paint and called it a night.  I should get the rest done in the next evening or two!

Matt

Its all in, everything fit nice and other than finishing up a small bracket to hold the cable in place (not really necessary) and some small adjustments when the car is running, the newest clutch setup it done.

Cable 1.jpg

Cable 2.jpg

The pedal is a bit stiffer than I had hoped but Im putting money on it being the adjustable cable.  I forgot ALL about the whole "curse of the aftermarket/adjustable cable" deal in the Fox world.  Im gonna luuuuube it up and see if that does it (like on the Fox's) then replace it with an OEM cable whenever it snaps.  I do like that the provided cable is longer than older kits they used to sell.  It goes around the oil filter and WAY away from any head issues with the exhaust.

Matt

Cody, ls1adam84 and mstrpth like this

Might be the ticket!  If I remember correct, motor oil works fine as does white lithium but I cant get the cable free from the sheath so thats a no go.  So long as its slick and can get in the sheath itll be good!

Matt