Rate this topic:

1,068 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, JRANGER said:

bending lines can be a pain! I have to bend my rear lines to fit for the disc and im so not looking forward to it.....Even a small job is a pain, i also have to do so at the master since im swapping to a power unit

Try the copper alloy lines. Cake walk.

Just now, Ashley P said:

Try the copper alloy lines. Cake walk.

Already have brand new stock lines or i would...No reason to spend extra money..yet

Ashley P likes this

Speaking of bending lines...I did a once over to make sure everything was happy and noticed a kink where the line was secured to the top of the frame and bent to go up the inner fender :down:.  I tried to massage it out but it wasnt havin it...soooo I had to cut the line short and order some new fittings BUT it was the only kink I could find and I dont think moving the location that the hard line meets up with the PTFE hose down to the top of the frame rail will be that big of a deal.  Im annoyed because I liked where it was BUT this location will work just the same, just a little further I will have to bend over to make it happen lol

Fuel line 4 cut.jpg

The kink is where the circle is.  I cut it at the red lines and will move it up and over to the inner fender under the brake line to keep it away from the exhaust heat.  Shouldnt make any difference.

Matt

mstrpth likes this

Spent the weekend in Southbend IN with family BUT before I took off I managed to get the motor dropped in place.

IMG_20170928_193348376.jpg

Went in with only a tad of drama (F&%@#*&% Scott Drake and his BS parts that never fit) with the motor mounts.  My alternator setup BARELY clears but it does.  Only issue I have is the rack and pinion steering is all over the bottom of the oil pan.  Gonna work on that next couple evenings and then start sorting out the Export Brace vs Upper Intake fight that I will need to resolve.

Matt

Ashley P, JohnC and JRANGER like this

2 minutes ago, 66sprint6 said:

Spent the weekend in Southbend IN with family BUT before I took off I managed to get the motor dropped in place.

IMG_20170928_193348376.jpg

Went in with only a tad of drama (F&%@#*&% Scott Drake and his BS parts that never fit) with the motor mounts.  My alternator setup BARELY clears but it does.  Only issue I have is the rack and pinion steering is all over the bottom of the oil pan.  Gonna work on that next couple evenings and then start sorting out the Export Brace vs Upper Intake fight that I will need to resolve.

Matt

Looks very snug which makes me wonder if i even want to attempt fitting in a 351. 

1 hour ago, JRANGER said:

Looks very snug which makes me wonder if i even want to attempt fitting in a 351. 

I have a 393W stroker in the '65, and it is a tight fit.  It will not go under a stock hood and you'll need custom headers.

66sprint6 and JohnC like this

1 hour ago, JRANGER said:

so what was the problem with the motor mounts? i have to get some v8 mounts myself

It took two of us, a long 2x4 and ALOT of cussing to get the mounts bolted to the motor to even come close to sliding over the frame mounts THEN repeat the process to get the damned bolts thru the holes in both.  I LOATH Scott Drake parts.  OH...and then I took the bolts loose from the motor to try and shim the motor up a bit to clear the rack and pinion setup and had a hell of a time with the passenger side.  Didnt work either so I will likely have to take it all apart and do it one more time.

Matt

JohnC likes this

Headers are on.  Passenger side fit like a glove, driver's side...not so much.  Went out and got another set of new motor mounts to replace the once that were already splitting the rubber from the metal (from lifting the motor trying to gain clearance with the rack and pinion) and the new new set was actually MUCH better looking and taller which helped.  It also made the clearancing I did to the oil pan not needed but whatever lol.  The driver's side STILL wouldnt clear the shock tower so I heated up the offending area and massaged it to perfection.  They are now on and Im moving on!  Gonna finish dressing the lower intake and then put the upper in place to see what Im going to do about the Export Brace that is in the way.  You know...I could completely eliminate all these headaches with a better front suspension setup that ditches the shock towers BUT i dont have the spare cash just yet so I will continue the struggle.

Matt

JohnC likes this

4 minutes ago, 66sprint6 said:

Headers are on.  Passenger side fit like a glove, driver's side...not so much.  Went out and got another set of new motor mounts to replace the once that were already splitting the rubber from the metal (from lifting the motor trying to gain clearance with the rack and pinion) and the new new set was actually MUCH better looking and taller which helped.  It also made the clearancing I did to the oil pan not needed but whatever lol.  The driver's side STILL wouldnt clear the shock tower so I heated up the offending area and massaged it to perfection.  They are now on and Im moving on!  Gonna finish dressing the lower intake and then put the upper in place to see what Im going to do about the Export Brace that is in the way.  You know...I could completely eliminate all these headaches with a better front suspension setup that ditches the shock towers BUT i dont have the spare cash just yet so I will continue the struggle.

Matt

What do you mean the export brace is in the way? Have you tried an aftermarket one that goes on top on the towers and uses those bolts?

The factory shock tower brace and the typical, non tubular Export Brace hits the back corner of the EFI upper intake.  Im going to likely end up making one similar to the Maier Racing tubular setup.  Nothing special, I just want to make sure they are supported.  I will eventually ditch the shock towers entirely most likely in the quest for better ride quality but for now I will make it work!

Matt

On 10/2/2017 at 11:12 AM, JRANGER said:

so what was the problem with the motor mounts? i have to get some v8 mounts myself

Motor mount saga continues.  The frame mounts are ok BUT the Pioneer/Anchor brand mounts that bolt to the motor itself are weak, come apart easy AND are shorter than the cheapos (that smell like BBQ) you can get locally.  The cheapos are beefy and look alot stronger and cost less!  Just a heads up.

Matt

Worse...came apart with my torque...jacking the motor up to try and shim the mounts to clear the rack and pinion.  I ended up dropping the rack, taking a hammer to the pan where it didnt clear and then putting it all back together.  NOW with the new mounts, it would have cleared just fine as it was :shiftyeyes:

Oh well, who cares noone can see it.

Matt

Final major parts needed to get this sucker outta my garage and into Disney's hands are ordered and on the way (hopefully).  I know Im missing a couple thousand small things but the big ticket items that I could foresee are taken care of.  Gonna get to work on the shock tower brace tonight and try to get it off the list soon!

Matt

Cody likes this

Oh yes...he is gonna wire and fire it!

I got a little further tonight than expected!  Cut the shock tower mounts off an Export Brace that Brodie gave me, bent up a mount for the cowl and mocked up the intake to see what I need to do to clear the big ole bastard.  I was able to copy the Maier Racing version pretty close and it all clears and lines up nice. 

Export 1.jpg

Export 2.jpg

Its tacked together for now, I will remove it, finish welding it up, trim the excess from the mounts and paint it.  

Matt

ls1adam84, Mike, Cody and 2 others like this

Small update just to keep things fresh.  Got the Export Brace finished, painted and on the car.

Export Brace Done.jpg

I also attached the heater hoses to the Foxbody hard lines and attached it to the intake.  I finished the fuel lines to the rails and only need to wire the pump and put some fuel in the tank in order to check for leaks and it should be good to go.  Tossed the intake on and got to work sorting out the throttle cable routing.  I had a Fox throttle body laying around so I took a grinder to the throttle shaft tab and pulled the throttle linkage off and swapped it to the Explorer TB.  Now all I need to do is put together a bracket and cut my cable down to size.

Throttle Arm.jpg

Matt

ls1adam84, Ashley P and mstrpth like this

If that throttle body doesn't work for you I've got a stock one for a sn95 and a 70mm bbk. Same thing with the strut tower brace, I still have the stock brace off my sn95 that you might be able to do something with, or not lol.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Cody, JohnC and 66sprint6 like this

10 hours ago, higherpowerracing said:

I have a set of 351 headers for a 65. I'll make you a hell of a deal on them..... free.99

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Arent those things monsterous and need extra room

10 hours ago, Chris said:

If that throttle body doesn't work for you I've got a stock one for a sn95 and a 70mm bbk. Same thing with the strut tower brace, I still have the stock brace off my sn95 that you might be able to do something with, or not lol.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This 65mm Exploder TB should be plenty for now.  When/If...who am I kidding, WHEN I go with aluminum heads and a bigger intake I will up the TB size accordingly!  Im also calling the shock tower brace done for now!  If anything, I will add a Monte Carlo brace across but will wait till I have everything installed and running so I can clear it all.

Matt

Chris likes this