Rate this topic:

1,063 posts in this topic

Very nice work! :up:

I used to carry a bag with electrical stuff (electric tape, crimp/stripper tool, wire connectors, etc.), a battery jumper box that has light power ports and air compressor, tire patch kit and a few tools in my GT. :yes:

I've fixed my own flats on the road plenty of times. Only problem with that kind of patch is it will void a tire warranty and you really can no longer trust the tire for high speed (like Z rating).

I hate being stranded, so tires don't last long enough for me anyway to fool with the skinny spare to limp it to a tire shop anyway. :no:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah Ill do alot to keep from having to get a tow home...especially from Gatlinburg altho I have free towing from my Insurance...its a point of pride sometimes for me with the old girl.  On the longer trips Ill toss some extra tools in for peace of mind but around town what I have should take care of most things!

Matt

When you come over to the house tonight Matt, I'll show you a small tire pump that I carried on my bike trip that doesn't take up a lot of space in the tool box. 

What insurance do you have? I have farm bureau and paid for roadside assistence but it didnt cover when u break down with a flat tire. I thought it did but they said twice no. So i canceled that and joined aaa

What insurance do you have? I have farm bureau and paid for roadside assistence but it didnt cover when u break down with a flat tire. I thought it did but they said twice no. So i canceled that and joined aaa

AAA is awesome.

Their AAA Plus worked great for me when my fuel pump crapped out in Murfreesboro and needed a two to my parents house where I had my tools in Hermitage. Basically towed me for no cost. It would have probably cost me out of pocket, more than the Plus plan to tow me one way at that distance, and I still had 3 more 100mi tows left on the plan. :yes:

http://autoclubsouth.aaa.com/Automotive/auto_ers.aspx?nvbar=Automotive:RoadsideAssistance

I have free towing for any reason what-so-ever with State Farm.  Cool thing is, even if the Towing company wont accept it, all I have to do is bring the receipt to my agent and get my money back no questions asked.  I still work like mad to keep it from happening and have almost needed it twice in Gatlinburg but got the car back up and running and home safe both times!

Matt

JohnC and Kpate like this

Pate and I have been putting our ideas into motion on this trunk project.  Initially the goal was just to clean up the trunk, add a devoted tool box and set of tools to the car and mount it so it wouldnt slide around or go flying in an accident.  This then moved onto doing the same with the trunk mounted battery.  Pate welded up a simple plate with 2 bolts to mount the box to the trunk floor a little more securely than what I was doing before and included some allthread for a batter tie-down.  The allowed me to move the batter over and free up some trunk space on top of making the car a little more safe.

Heres the plate bolted down with the batter box strap under it.  The strap is simply there to hold the lid down now rather than hold the entire box and batter in the car.

BatteryBox_zpsdf316498.jpg

Allthread added and ready for the battery to drop in.

BatteryBox1_zps3266db52.jpg

Battery hooked up and secure for once!

BatteryBox2_zps8d08f786.jpg

All together and ready to go.

IMG_20140728_084109216_HDR_zps7mnqumaj.j

After getting the battery back together I got the car back on the ground, checked all my fluids and took it up to Woodbury and back in the 100* heat to see what she was made of.  Still have some vibrations but Im thinking they are either wheel/tire related or similar as they are in the steering wheel and no big deal compared to the old vibrations which were in the seats and harsh.  Did 70 the entire way to try and get her pissed off at me but she cruised along at 180* and wouldnt budge.  The new AEM is AWESOME and was very helpful in realizing that the new carb setup in running fairly rich at idle, light throttle acceleration and cruising and running ever so slightly lean at WOT under boost.  I can see the different parts of the carb doing their job with this thing and never have to take my eyes off the road for the most part.  I made some notes and will be tuning the carb accordingly.  OH...almost forgot.  I wired up the 3" exhaust dump while the trans was out.  I used to run around with no mufflers, just pipe straight from the turbo out the side so I figured it wouldnt be much different...flipped the switch to open it up and WOW is she loud.  I love it.  The turbo is so much louder than it used to be and she sounds like a pissed off tractor, which alone would be annoying but add the turbo spool and it turns evil.  Gonna be awesome for cruising Pigeon Forge and the tunnel between Gatlinburg and the Forge wont know what hit it this year!!!!  

Matt

JohnC and Kpate like this

Awesome! This car is starting to sound fun now! :w00t:

Do you have to vent that battery? It didn't look like a sealed one. Just curious how how that works. :yes:

Next time you run it dumped, get a video clip so we can hear it! Let the wife record you driving away. :yes:

The battery box is not sealed but otherwise i havnt done anything else to vent...it kinda is what it is and has worked fine for me in the past.  Now its just that much more safe for peace of mind on the streets!

The exhaust is finally about as close to perfect as I could ever ask.  With the Flows it sounds deep and mean like an old school Mustang should with enough whistle in it to make you double take and wonder WTF was that?!?!?!?  With the dump open you cant help but drive around with an evil little smile like a little kid lol.  Its obnoxiously loud and I can think of many circumstances where that will come in handy  :evild: .  Close it back up and its still loud enough to hear that she means business but not loud enough to cause a headache during a longer trip.  Very happy.  Ill snag some video when I get a free moment and see if I can keep it from killing the mic on the phone.  

Ive got a bunch of lame odds and ends to take care of now.  Still need to order up a cap and rotor for the distributor and then I can finish up my tune up.  Im thinkin I will dial the carb in first then toss it all on.  Ive also got a heater core to swap out and then it needs an alignment and the fenders rolled.  After that Im pretty much gonna call it good enough for this years trip to Shades of the Past.

Matt

JohnC likes this

I would love to be able to take mine to one of the big pigeon forge shows. My daughter is too young right now, but I think the family will have more fun doing things like that then hanging out at the dragstrip. I wish I was to the point with mine that you are with yours.

JohnC likes this

Man...dont wish that, your car is badass!!!  I decided after the first year of going to Shades of the Past that my ONLY goal each year was to have the car running for the next years event...and I havnt missed it since.  Ive come very very close, including breaking down at the end of my neighborhood, overheating numerous times along the way, having the carb crap out on me up there (bad gas and some gasket trash), valve seal issues, exhaust issues...you name it.  That said, she's made it up and back each time and Im hoping to get back to where there isnt as much drama along the way.  As for your daughter, my buddy (guy with the white 67 in my pics earlier) drove up last year with his 1 month old baby in tow!!!  Had to leave his Mustang behind but this year he is bringing it and both his little babies along.  I have to bring his stepson with me this year because they have 4 kids now and not enough room but he likes to ride with UncleMatt.  He was with me when I had to pull over 20 times on the way up there and was a trooper!  Its always an event just getting there, and once there the cruising is nonstop fun.  Never had so much fun sitting in traffic outside of my clutch knee always hurting lol.  I agree with you tho and part of why I sold the BlueCoupe was the lack of "fun" had at the strip with the family.  I LOVED racing and would go every Tues and Fri night but the few times my family would go they didnt seem to enjoy it.  On the other hand they LOVE the cruise ins Friday nights and Shades of the Past is a family tradition so the cruiser stayed and the drag car went.  If you ever wanna cruise up there in September man, gimme a holler.  Love bumping into people I know out there!!!

Matt

JohnC likes this

Man...dont wish that, your car is badass!!!  I decided after the first year of going to Shades of the Past that my ONLY goal each year was to have the car running for the next years event...and I havnt missed it since.  Ive come very very close, including breaking down at the end of my neighborhood, overheating numerous times along the way, having the carb crap out on me up there (bad gas and some gasket trash), valve seal issues, exhaust issues...you name it.  That said, she's made it up and back each time and Im hoping to get back to where there isnt as much drama along the way.  As for your daughter, my buddy (guy with the white 67 in my pics earlier) drove up last year with his 1 month old baby in tow!!!  Had to leave his Mustang behind but this year he is bringing it and both his little babies along.  I have to bring his stepson with me this year because they have 4 kids now and not enough room but he likes to ride with UncleMatt.  He was with me when I had to pull over 20 times on the way up there and was a trooper!  Its always an event just getting there, and once there the cruising is nonstop fun.  Never had so much fun sitting in traffic outside of my clutch knee always hurting lol.  I agree with you tho and part of why I sold the BlueCoupe was the lack of "fun" had at the strip with the family.  I LOVED racing and would go every Tues and Fri night but the few times my family would go they didnt seem to enjoy it.  On the other hand they LOVE the cruise ins Friday nights and Shades of the Past is a family tradition so the cruiser stayed and the drag car went.  If you ever wanna cruise up there in September man, gimme a holler.  Love bumping into people I know out there!!!

Matt

As a married guy, the cruise ins and all really does sound like fun. :up: Back in the day before the wife came along, I'd never considered it over a trip to the track. :lol: But I don't think my wife would have much fun sitting by herself at the dragstrip all day while I race. :no:

Don't get me wrong, when I get my junk back in track worthy shape, we can still have a guys night out at the track, though. :love:

Matt

Do you ever go to the rod run? I've attended both events and liked the rod run a little better. Has way more cars/trucks. However shades of the past seem to be a little more family friendly. as in random people playing music in parking lots etc..

After living up there for 20 years and dealing with rod run traffic, it's safe to say every event is full of "terorists" (tourists for you out of towners) and the locals stay home. Worked at a go kart track one year during the Grand run. So many drunks trying to dive a go jkart and cant keep it off the walls. Was like Days of Thunder with Budweiser.... :shake:  :shake:  :shake:  :shake:

As a married guy, the cruise ins and all really does sound like fun. :up: Back in the day before the wife came along, I'd never considered it over a trip to the track. :lol: But I don't think my wife would have much fun sitting by herself at the dragstrip all day while I race. :no:

Don't get me wrong, when I get my junk back in track worthy shape, we can still have a guys night out at the track, though. :love:

I didnt know how Ide get Kathleen to go along with the idea of going to the first Shades of the Past with me because she couldnt give a flip about cars at the time but she went and has gone every single year since.  Now, she doesnt go to the big car show itself anymore, as all the girls take that day to go shopping leaving us boys the entire day to look at cars as long as we freakin want but she's still there for the cruising and watching the cars cruise by in the evenings which is fun.  She even picks out cars she wants...its narrowed down to Falcon or Fairlane drop recently.  She doesnt like going to the track, even when I feed her which seems to be the ticket to get her to go places she doesnt wanna go and I can see her not enjoying sitting alone while Im in the staging lanes etc. but she would go to make me happy.  Im not done racing and have told her a drag car will be back in the driveway one day...just not today.  Either way, you should check it out sometime.  Theres enough going on to make everyone happy, from kids to the girls to the boys...if you dont have fun out there your doing it wrong.

Do you ever go to the rod run? I've attended both events and liked the rod run a little better. Has way more cars/trucks. However shades of the past seem to be a little more family friendly. as in random people playing music in parking lots etc..

Nah, only reason we go to Shades of the Past is cause my Buddy's wife's family has been going since the beginning apparently.  Its a family tradition for them thats now become our family tradition.  Hell, we eat at the same pancake place every morning up in Gatlinburg and if you suggest otherwise you will be eating on your own LOL.  I love it, and what makes it better than anything else is the fact that we all go together.  If it werent for that, I would check out a couple other big Cruise weekends up there and see which one I like best.  To tell the truth tho, there are so many cars up there for Shades that you cant see em all, and you are correct, its alot cleaner and more family friendly.  You dont deal with alot of idiots outside of the Bro truck morons and a couple ricers who think its ok to scream down the main drag while people are tryin to cross the street.  Cops keep a pretty good eye on things tho it seems and we never feel uncomfortable or unsafe which I like.

Kevin, Ive been to Pigeon Forge a ton lately outside of the Shades of the Past and I swear I wouldnt live there if I was forced to do so.  Even when there isnt a car show going on the place is sheer madness and parkinglot style traffic.  At least during Shades the traffic is fun to look at!!!

Matt

Kpate and JohnC like this

Nothing pic worthy at the moment, just another kinda-sorta-update on the tuning saga.

Got the car idling decent altho Im needing to order up a 6-32 bleed kit to help with adjustments to A/F as the slightest turn makes a HUGE difference in A/F in the area between nearly spot on and way too lean lol.  Ive got it idling slightly right but it bounces between slightly rich and perfect.  

Cruise is still pretty rich around town but on the highway its really close to being nice and Im gonna probably leave it there as Im afraid of it getting too lean and getting hot again like before.  

I got the old ******* out last night to fool around with some WOT tuning.  Shes PIG rich on light acceleration and once I get some bleeds in Ill address this but when you go WOT she cuts out from being so lean.  I drilled out some blank 6-32 inserts that I had layin around to (believe it was a 3/32 or 1/16).  Im not worried about the size and it was just an experiment to see if a MAJOR change in size would make any difference.  The answer...nope.  Not a damned bit of difference.  I was a little annoyed as I was finally getting the hang of these damned circuits and what they do.  Went back over my notes and decided hell with it, lets toss the ole vent tube extension back on and go round the block.  Nothing.  Same super lean BS as before.  I called it a day and went in to do some more reading and head scratching.  Bout 20 minutes later I remember the HSABs and figured...hell, its easy enough and I still have the old wire I used to block em on the old setup.  Tossed the wire back in blocking off the HSABs and went around the block again....LET THERE BE BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST.  She's still a tiny bit lean but on 15psi she screamed 1st and barked 2nd from a light roll into the throttle to WOT watching the wideband.  NICE!  Im gonna pull the vent tube extension and see if that makes any difference and then move on from there.  Im thinkin I might take the carb apart and drill out the HSABs and IABs, tap for 6-32 and be able to tweak em without using wire.

ANYways.  Gonna clean her up this evening after work and try to get her out to the Cruise-In at the Avenue FINALLY!  She still has a little bit of a funky vibration around 2k rpm which is either gonna go away after doing a tune-up with plugs and wires or Im gonna just call it a slight balance issue with the motor and look into either rebuilding or replacing down the road.  For now she runs and cruises decent, takes boost a little better and is good enough to cruise the Boro.  Im slowly but surely getting the old POS sorted out LOL

Matt

JohnC likes this

Well, the Mustang is still at Gage performance getting the fenders massaged for tire clearance so I took some time to get a couple things together for its return.  First off, Im finally getting rid of the GIANT and busted up stock steering wheel.  I dont mind the wheel so much other than the fact that it and my long legs dont work together well...never have.  Ive always had to drive with the side of my foot on the accelerator, hit the brakes and then once to a stop, rotate my leg under the wheel to hold the brakes.  Getting in and out was a chore as well.  Ive always liked the wood wheel look from the premium optioned cars and Shelby's so I went after a Grant 13.5" wood wheel.  Ive read its a pain in the butt to install and you need to do some tweaking to get the horn right etc but for the price, you cant beat it.  Unfortunately, when it came in I about shipped it right back out due to how stupid looking it was.  Its poorly made and easy to see that it is.  The wood was a bleached Walnut and the rivet holes arent finished off very cleanly, especially on the back side which instead of being smooth and comfortable, is rough and will **** near give you a splinter.  The grip is fat looking too which annoyed me at first but Im getting used to it.  ANYways, I took it home and figured rather than shipping it back, getting a refund and then spending DOUBLE on a nicer wheel just to have it come in the same size as the stocker and defeat the entire purpose of getting a new wheel, Ide try to make it look/feel a tad better.  Got out the sand paper and some wood stain and got to work.  This is after a couple coats of stain and about 4 coats of satin clear.

IMG_20140811_084054469_HDR_zpsxhan8hsb.j

MUCH smoother, feels alot better in my hands and looks perfect color wise now to me.  Im still debating on whether or not I want to fill in the rivet holes or not.  Im thinking I will in the back just to make it smoother and then just do a final coat of clear to seal it all in but the front doesnt bother me as much now that the wood is darker.  The new color seems to help hide the bad build quality alot better now and itll be fine in the car so long as it installs correctly.

Pate finished up the toolbox holder as well so I painted it up and got my toolbox in order.

IMG_20140811_084220148_zps3ub3fnla.jpg

IMG_20140811_084234301_zpsww7pef1b.jpg

Fits like a glove, just need the straps to hold it tight and itll be ready to go in the trunk!

Also fiddled around with a little metal box I got for $3 at a Flea Market in Triune a couple weekends ago.  Initally I cut up a plastic box that held the socket set so it would fit in the new toolbox but it was still loose and didnt have a lid.  I cut the plastic holders up even more and glued them together to fit the new little metal box and its alot better.  I might make my own holders if this doesnt work out but for now itll do.

IMG_20140811_084323949_zpsaiygsm8o.jpg

Metal box fits perfect in the toolbox and takes up less room than the other setup.

IMG_20140811_084352499_zpse90gq4ku.jpg

I didnt get any pics but I grabbed a different Hurst shifter handle as well.  Its a bit more of a look thing than function, but after looking at the different universal handles out there and doing the measuring, the one I got seems like itll be the perfect blend of function and form.  It came with a 1.3" bend towards the driver which I dont need so I hammered it flat.  Ill order up a hurst boot here shortly but Im toying around with some ideas on a mini console to surround it and have a better place for my switches and stuff.  More on that when the car gets back.  Gotta get the carb happy too, Shades on the Past is coming up quick and I wanna make sure she's happy for the trip!

Matt

JohnC likes this

Oh yeah, and the decal on both box lids is a reminder...I tend to get...flustered when im on the side of the road getting the tools out to fix another something or other and often its worry about the unknown, what broke, will I figure it out, can I even fix it, how far am I walkin now etc etc etc.  Ive always figured it out and havnt been stranded yet and even if I was I got a phone and can get it sorted out and towed home if needed...but I still get...annoyed.  I just need to remember that itll all work out and always does so while slapping decals on the inside of the boxes (need to get more) I figured why not.  Never know either, might encourage others when the box comes out to help them as well.  Oh...and the Summit sticker is there to remind me that I can order anything I need when I get home LOL

Matt

ls1adam84, Ashley P and JohnC like this

Yeah the mount will be bolted to the trunk floor and the 4 nuts welded to the outside of the bracket will be for the bungees or straps to hook to.  

Matt

That steering wheel turned out really nice, Matt! :up:

Got to love, Pate! Not sure I know anyone that's so cool they help their fellow car guys out whenever they need it! :love:

You been making some good progress on this car on the weekends. I bet by next summer, she'll be a good looking reliable cruiser! :yes:

Kpate likes this

Im hoping to be able to toss enough time and $$$ at it over the next little bit to get it back to where I can and will WANT to drive it any time the weather is nice and Im able.  Safety is on my mind as well as just making it ride/drive nice again.  Its a solid little car and USED to be my DD and I LOVED driving it back then so I know it has it in it...just gotta get it back up to par!

Matt

Kpate likes this

That steering wheel turned out really nice, Matt! :up:

Got to love, Pate! Not sure I know anyone that's so cool they help their fellow car guys out whenever they need it! :love:

You been making some good progress on this car on the weekends. I bet by next summer, she'll be a good looking reliable cruiser! :yes:

Meh, I have too much free time on my hands nowadays.... :winkgrin:  :winkgrin:  :winkgrin:  Plus it gives me a chance to pass on what I know to someone else; won't be doing this forever people..... :duck:........well maybe another 15-20 years.... 

JohnC likes this

If Ide get off my *** a buy a welder I could dust of what I learned years and years ago and get back to welding again, but for now its a good way to hang out and BS so why not!!!

Got the car back last night so I tossed the steering wheel in along with the new Hurst shifter handle.

IMG_20140812_083926024_HDR_zpsavwxbgvh.j

IMG_20140812_083912740_HDR_zps9acnzm1n.j

The horn quit workin back in the day and I now have an idea as to why, but Im not convinced that I care to fix it.  I took the horns out themselves cause one of em quit workin and tossed em long ago.  I have some from an old F150 that Ill put back in if I decide to get it working again.  For now, the steering wheel is on and altho its not 100% what Ide want, its good for what I need and thats more leg room without installing a tilt column.  The shifter is coming back out to get cut, bent and welded back up in order to lower it slightly then Ill grab a hurst boot to finish it all off.  Rain came in and swamped the garage before I could drill the holes for the tool box plate so that will be done this evening!

Matt

JohnC likes this