Rate this topic:

1,063 posts in this topic

LOL well...pushrods and rockers ARE easy work!  The rest...not so much.  Im trying pump myself up to do these subframe connectors this weekend, or at least get started on them.  Got the inline out and mounts swapped out and Im letting some JB weld dry on the new dipstick tube.  Tomorrow Ill get it up in the air and see where things go from there.

Matt

JohnC and ls1adam84 like this

Busy weekend and not much to show for it lol.  Had my buddy Jonathan come out and help me pull the 6 out for good.  I pulled the mounts and put the new V8 frame mounts in so outside of pulling the 6 banger bellhousing shes ready for the 5.0

Pulling the 6.jpg

After that I got the car in the air and got to work getting ready for the new fuel lines.  Pulled the old line out and installed some Tinman Subframe connectors.  Im going to run the new lines along the inner side of the passenger subframe rather than down the tunnel like they were before.

Subframes.jpg

Outside of the intake and valve covers, the 5.0 is buttoned up and painted.  Im working on mounting the Alternator as we speak and am hacking and cleaning up one of the hideous accesory brackets that goes on the driver's side of the motor.  It has an idler pulley on it that I need in order to have correct belt routing.  If I cant get it to where Im happy I may just fab something up but getting the Alt in line was a pain in the butt so Im hoping to not have to bother.

paint.jpg

Matt

Disney, JohnC and mstrpth like this

Yeah, shoot if this little 302 runs as well and reliably as the BlueCoupe I could see hittin up the Hill for some mid 8 action!  I would love that!  Make it a comfy reliable cruiser that can scoot down the 1/8 from time to time???  Sounds good to me!!!

Matt

JRANGER likes this

7 minutes ago, 66sprint6 said:

Yeah, shoot if this little 302 runs as well and reliably as the BlueCoupe I could see hittin up the Hill for some mid 8 action!  I would love that!  Make it a comfy reliable cruiser that can scoot down the 1/8 from time to time???  Sounds good to me!!!

Matt

Even with a 3.00 rear(maybe 3.25) my 67 was super fun to drive with the 302. It was surprisingly fast with that rear end. Even with 2.80 rear it got up

66sprint6 likes this

Mine has a 3.55 geared 8.8 and I loved that combo in my Fox.  This thing will eventually be very close to the Coupe mod wise whenever I go aluminum heads an bigger intake but I feel like the GT40P setup will be fine for a bit!  The BlueCoupe ran really well on E7's with a Cobra Intake and the TFS1 cam.  For now I just hope that the bottom end is happy and runs well after all I did to it...then Ill see where it goes mod wise from there.

Matt

I need too many other things right now plus I kinda like the 3.55 and I liked that combo in the BlueCoupe.  If I do anything to the rear anytime soon it will be taking an inch off each tube so I can run normal offset wheels again!!!

Disney talked me into trying to keep the crank trigger wheel setup the Exploder motor came with but I had to figure out a couple issues along the way.  Long story short, I decided to keep it simple and stick with the Exploder waterpump, timing cover and balancer and made them work.  I drilled the front cover for my dipstick, made an alternator mount and am working on the idler pulley using part of the old driver's side accessory bracket.  I was able to get the Alternator on and the belt on to make sure it would work...so far it looks like it might!

Accy.jpg

Accy 2.jpg

I have plenty of adjustment to loosen or tighten the slack in the belt and everything appears to be relatively straight.  I can shim the bracket or the Alt. if needed.  I could have gone with Fox or similar balancer, crank pulley, clockwise rotation water pump and an off the shelf Alternator bracket kit but I would need to mount the crank trigger wheel and sensor and I was afraid I wouldnt have much room to play with up front.  This is compact and simple, and hopefully with some time with the grinder and some paint, the idler bracket wont be as much of an eye sore.  Might mount the coil packs to it to help hide it, who knows.  Moving on!

Matt

JohnC and Disney like this

Motor is together and ready to go in the car but I wanted to get the fuel lines run or at least started before I moved on.  

Pulled the old fuel sender and peaked into the tank...clean as a whistle and looks brand new inside.  Put some AN fittings on the main and return on the new sending unit and put it in the tank.

sender.jpg

Then I put together the Walbro 255 pump with the 100 micron pre filter and 10 micron after filter.  Fits perfect in the space I have directly connected like this and eliminates more fittings and fuel lines.

pump and filter.jpg

Had enough time to mock it up and make the first hose connection.  Using PTFE hose from Earls, stuff is SUPER flexible and very easy to work with.

IMG_20170920_192757890.jpg

I will be attempting to get some hard lines put together and then run more of the PTFE from the return hard line to the return fitting on the sender.

Matt

Mike and JohnC like this

More baby steps.  Feed and return lines are started at the back, secured to the rear subframe in two locations and connected up (minus 1 fitting for the feed which I missed when ordering).  

IMG_20170921_213448593.jpg

Shot of the whole shebang.  Im hoping that one C clamp style mount on each filter and the pump will be enough to keep it mounted up happy...it appears to be super solid.  The return line is secured by the factory clips.

IMG_20170921_213436984.jpg

That was the hard part, now I can just secure them down the subframe connector and either run them up the firewall (for rear hookup fuel rails) or out into the inner fender, over the suspension parts and back into the engine bay for Fox or SN95 front hookup rails.  I really dont want to do the second setup but will if I have to.

Matt

JohnC likes this

Ok...another weekend down, another project checked off the list.  Fuel hard lines are in and ready to go (minus one fitting).

After routing over axle I started securing the lines to the subframe connector.  I made sure to move then as high as I possibly could to give the lower line some protection.

Fuel line 1.jpg

Fuel line 2.jpg

Everything was going super well and easy...then I got the the trans brace that I forgot all about.  DOH.  I removed all the tie downs on the subframe and was able to work the line through the holes and move forward...pain in the rear!!!  I wrapped both lines in some hose to protect them as I didnt have any grommets that big.  I also added some rubber hose in a couple places where I was afraid the lines could potentially rub a hole.

Fuel line 3.jpg

I wonder how many people have jacked this sucker up using the passenger subframe with the old scissor jack back in the day, yeesh!!!  I was going to run the lines up the toe board and up the firewall to keep them away from the header but eventually I will be replacing the floorboard AND I didnt have anywhere I could secure them without the screw coming thought the floor so I ran them along the subframe and up the inner fender and am much happier for it!!!  Finished them off with some -6AN fittings.  

Fuel line 4.jpg

The lines are zinc coated but I scuffed them up pretty decent in some spots so I hit them with some black paint to protect them and called em done!  I did a little more clean up under the hood and will likely take a stab at putting the motor in this afternoon!  

Matt

Mike, mstrpth, Cody and 1 other like this

Good job on those lines.

Regarding corrosion protection, ORielly carries a copper alloy brake line.  It's EASY to bend and corrosion resistant.  Might be an option for such stuff in the future.

Copper or Aluminum woulda made for a MUCH easier time BUT I actually managed better than I thought and I hope these lines, combined with the PTFE soft lines should last for quite some time!!!  I even bought a new fangled bender to go with the others I have...tried to use it once, didnt have room and it didnt make the job any cleaner or easier so I threw it out from under the car and carried on by hand.

Matt

JRANGER and JohnC like this

On 9/25/2017 at 11:20 AM, 66sprint6 said:

Copper or Aluminum woulda made for a MUCH easier time BUT I actually managed better than I thought and I hope these lines, combined with the PTFE soft lines should last for quite some time!!!  I even bought a new fangled bender to go with the others I have...tried to use it once, didnt have room and it didnt make the job any cleaner or easier so I threw it out from under the car and carried on by hand.

Matt

bending lines can be a pain! I have to bend my rear lines to fit for the disc and im so not looking forward to it.....Even a small job is a pain, i also have to do so at the master since im swapping to a power unit

JohnC likes this