Rate this topic:

1,068 posts in this topic

Yeah its been kinda kicking around in the back of my mind but I decided to go all out and give the inline setup one last chance.  I had an absolute blast and learned quite a bit in the process but then I just kinda ran out of steam.  The motor and turbo setup are the best the car has ever had in it and the potential is amazing but my goals and wants for the car have recently been leaning from being quick and unique to a more simple and driveable setup.  The addition to the family may have pushed that over the edge...the idea of Kathleen riding in it to Gatlinburg being pregnant also weighed on me.  I told her it was her decision this year, 66 or 2015 and that I would support her choice either way.  I made it easy on her by deciding on the swap.  I really think that if I had the cash for another toy, either another classic or a Fox I would leave the 66 alone and keep plugging at it, but I dont see that happening anytime soon now so its time to enjoy what I have and try to make it where we can all enjoy it together.  Part of me is obviously bummed but the part of me looking forward to the swap and the new build is far more excited PLUS Im hoping that the inline and everything with it will sell and I can see it live on under the hood of another car (or many).

Matt

46 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If you can go 351, do it! :hyper:

Annnnnnnnnd..........twin turbo it!   Man, that would be SWEET!    lol

ls1adam84 likes this

351 is a tight squeeze between the shock towers on the 66 and older cars or else I would consider it.  In all fairness, a HCI 302 will be PLENTY fun for this little car and if I get it handling and stopping well enough to make me feel like it needs more power...maybe Ill look at an S trim or similar blower.  Basically what I SHOULD have done to the BlueCoupe instead of trying to put together that 393.

Got the old 170 off the stand and into the bed of the truck and the 302 off the ground and ready for tear down and inspection!

On the Stand.jpg

Matt

JohnC likes this

Yep.  Coming from the inline, where I can dang near get inside the bay with it, the 302 will be a tight enough squeeze for me!  I didnt want to mess with the 351, not yet at least.  

Matt

Heck yeah finally swapping in a 302! Seems like we chatted about that when I gave you my old 5.0.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

66sprint6 likes this

Ha yeah we did!  I been threatening to do it for a long time now.  The time finally came and the inline will be out in the next day or two to make room.

Matt

Worked most of the evening last night and have a pile of parts to show for it.  

Turbo Parts.jpg

Heres where I left off.  The rest should be out by tomorrow morning if all goes well.

Almost out.jpg

Matt

Do you already have a bellhousing, harness and accesories for the 5.0?  If not, what are you going to do for that stuff?   I assume you can re-use your radiator.  That MSD box will be nice to keep with the 5.0.

Matt I have a flow master dual muffler set up if needed for your v-8

came off the Falcon , not going to use it

it will be cheap if you need it

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Do you already have a bellhousing, harness and accesories for the 5.0?  If not, what are you going to do for that stuff?   I assume you can re-use your radiator.  That MSD box will be nice to keep with the 5.0.

I dont...I LITERALLY just sold a Fox bell, flywheel and clutch a couple months ago LOL.  I will be going back to Fox stuff with the T5 thats already under the car.  Im gonna see how much room I have and either use the explorer alt bracket, pump and crank pulleys OR go with an 80's Tbird clockwise rotation pump and fab up a simple alt bracket and use the alt adjustment to tension the belt.  I will need to figure out a timing cover that will allow the front dip stick.  Most can be drilled out easy enough.  Also looking at going with Megasquirt with this thing and may even keep the distributorless/coil pack setup, not sure yet.  One way or another itll come together and work but itll be a Frankenstein for sure!

58 minutes ago, dr.art said:

Matt I have a flow master dual muffler set up if needed for your v-8

came off the Falcon , not going to use it

it will be cheap if you need it

Dang, one of the few parts I dont need!  I already have dual Flowmasters and 2.5" pipes under the car, just need to get the H pipe to match the JBA headers I have and some pipe to connect it to the Flows!

Matt

Disney and ls1adam84 like this

3 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:

Worked most of the evening last night and have a pile of parts to show for it.  

Turbo Parts.jpg

Heres where I left off.  The rest should be out by tomorrow morning if all goes well.

Almost out.jpg

Matt

66sprint6 likes this

Checked the bearings and they were a little suspect.  No better time than now to pull it apart and attempt to freshen it up.  Bearings, rings and some paint will do.  

IMG_20170823_082325282.jpg

IMG_20170823_082347758.jpg

Gonna do my best to be CLEAN during install, but right now Im in my comfort zone...messy!  I will need to scrub down the garage after this project is out of the way but till then I foresee many more messes, spills and drips on the horizon.

Matt

Whoa! I didn't think I would see the day that you moved on from the Inline 6!

If you ever need a hand man let me know, I know you are closer to me than anyone else here haha.

If this goes well I might steal this plan from you for my wife when we get her first gen Mustang.

66sprint6 and JohnC like this

I absolutely and normally would but there are a couple factors weighing in on that.

1) Im working on a strict budget and I truthfully am trying my best to stick to it (amount I got for the turbo setup) and Fuel Injection is on the to-do list

2) Ive always wanted to do a small freshening up job on a motor and was planning on doing so on the last inline motor but that spiraled out of control and it wasnt in the cards.  

Its a 302, it would run fine as it was and will do so after Im done with it Im sure.  If once we get the bugs ironed out, the FI tuned and happy and it lasts a couple thousand miles without issue, Ide be happy as hell.  Seeing how simple this setup will be with a cam and headers, this will be plenty to pep it up and make it happy for some time!  If I were building anything more ide let a pro take the job over for sure.

Matt

ls1adam84 likes this

4 minutes ago, ls1adam84 said:

Whoa! I didn't think I would see the day that you moved on from the Inline 6!

If you ever need a hand man let me know, I know you are closer to me than anyone else here haha.

If this goes well I might steal this plan from you for my wife when we get her first gen Mustang.

Ha, will do!  I LOVED the turbo stuff, was alot of fun and was unique and had great potential but I wasnt enjoying tuning on it all the time and having to drive around its quirks.  This new setup will drive like a more modern car, be less picky and hopefully be what it takes to get me back in the drivers seat more often!!!

ls1adam84 likes this

2 minutes ago, 66sprint6 said:

Ha, will do!  I LOVED the turbo stuff, was alot of fun and was unique and had great potential but I wasnt enjoying tuning on it all the time and having to drive around its quirks.  This new setup will drive like a more modern car, be less picky and hopefully be what it takes to get me back in the drivers seat more often!!!

Yeah that is always the problem when it comes to projects, figuring out the end goal and the route to go.

If I can help I am in, and I can't wait to see it get finished up!

66sprint6 likes this

Got the cylinder walls cleaned up.  Just a simple deglazing and made sure the cross hatch was there.

Untouched on the left, clean on the right

IMG_20170824_175319563.jpg

IMG_20170824_190700357.jpg

Kathleen called and said her class was an hour LONGER than she had thought so naaaturally...I decided to lube up my crank...

:roflmao:

IMG_20170824_220546588.jpg

Torqued to spec, end play is well within tolerance (before and after torquing) and it doesnt appear that I put it in upside-down LOL  Waiting on some rings and then Ill move forward.  The true test will be how much it smokes and rattles when we finally get it running (hopefully not at all).

Matt

JohnC and mstrpth like this

Shortblock is done!  Pistons cleaned and new rings added, TFS-1 cam, Cloyes double roller timing chain tossed in as well as a new oil pump and shorter pickup for the front sump pan.

Fresh Shortblock.jpg

Im almost done adding valve springs and seals to the heads and then I can get it to longblock status and start painting it.  Im trying out Alex's Parts GT40P springs this go around.  Read alot of good things about em so I called and asked which set of springs they recommended for the Stage 1 cam and the GT40P heads and they hooked me up.  Hopefully they live up to the reviews!

Matt

Disney and JohnC like this

The turbo six(es) were great fun and an amazing learning tool but I was slowly falling out of love with the setup and the car.  Car isnt going anywhere but anything bolted to it is replaceable so why not!  Hell, maybe one day Ill hunt down an aussie 4.0T or Coyote Swap it or something cool BUT I really feel that this old school, low buck, low maintenance 5.0 will scratch the itch for a while!

Matt

On 8/29/2017 at 9:23 AM, 66sprint6 said:

Shortblock is done!  Pistons cleaned and new rings added, TFS-1 cam, Cloyes double roller timing chain tossed in as well as a new oil pump and shorter pickup for the front sump pan.

Fresh Shortblock.jpg

Im almost done adding valve springs and seals to the heads and then I can get it to longblock status and start painting it.  Im trying out Alex's Parts GT40P springs this go around.  Read alot of good things about em so I called and asked which set of springs they recommended for the Stage 1 cam and the GT40P heads and they hooked me up.  Hopefully they live up to the reviews!

Matt

Looks awesome! Wish i had a clue about engines. Keep it up and get it going. 

66sprint6 likes this

Slowly but surely.  Valve springs and seals added, and thats it.  Im not gonna touch these otherwise.  If I want more get up and go, Ill get up and get some Aluminum heads and swap em out.

IMG_20170830_194611220.jpg

Gonna toss in the pushrods and rockers, put the valve cover, oil pan and timing cover on then toss some paint on it and get back to work on the car itself to get it ready for the transplant.  Ive got some subframe connectors on the way, gonna weld them in and THEN I will route the new fuel lines along them to the engine bay.  I didnt want to route the lines, then pick up some connectors down the road and have to work around them or replumb them.

Matt

Disney, JohnC and ls1adam84 like this