Rate this topic:

1,063 posts in this topic

Car is running goooooood good good.  Swapped out the PV again and she doesnt stumble at all anymore, still feels a little bit held back under part throttle acceleration but thats likely due to timing and only making 140whp off the turbo LOL.  She cruises nice and happy and idles nice and happy.  Still tries to stall from time to time coming to a stop but its much better than before and a quick blip of the throttle usually solves it.  I was able to push about 5psi partial throttle without it going too lean on me and it feels very strong but I still need to sort out the WOT tuning here soon.  For now tho, I was able to cruise it for about 45 minutes without any issues last night and thats a step in the right direction.  Oh, and the flat spot on the tire Disney helped me find feels like its rounding out after the long drive.  The car still isnt very...cushy but most of the vibration can now be tracked down to road condition and engine vibration.  

Im also working on cleaning up the paint some.  Nothing quite as drastic as Mike's paint correction thread BUT shes looking better than ever slowly but surely.  Tons of scratches on the horizontal surfaces and paint chips galore but its old paint and I havnt exactly been nice to it.  Step back a foot or two OR dont look at it at the exact right angle and it looks amazing so Im good with it.  Its a driver not a show stopper!

Quick pic I sent to a buddy, I didnt get a shot of the "tape line" trick to show the difference but the amount of haze and light scratches that came out is beyond incredible.

IMG_20170424_184407022_zps1mdt15kl.jpg

Every time I get it out for the first time in a while Im amazed at the amount of people who walk up and talk to me about it or stare at it...even when only the roof and hood are buffed and the rest of the car is faded and dusty LOL  Its always reassuring and gives me more motivation to carry on..

Matt

JohnC, Disney, Ashley P and 1 other like this

6 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:

Car is running goooooood good good.  Swapped out the PV again and she doesnt stumble at all anymore, still feels a little bit held back under part throttle acceleration but thats likely due to timing and only making 140whp off the turbo LOL.  She cruises nice and happy and idles nice and happy.  Still tries to stall from time to time coming to a stop but its much better than before and a quick blip of the throttle usually solves it.  I was able to push about 5psi partial throttle without it going too lean on me and it feels very strong but I still need to sort out the WOT tuning here soon.  For now tho, I was able to cruise it for about 45 minutes without any issues last night and thats a step in the right direction.  Oh, and the flat spot on the tire Disney helped me find feels like its rounding out after the long drive.  The car still isnt very...cushy but most of the vibration can now be tracked down to road condition and engine vibration.  

Im also working on cleaning up the paint some.  Nothing quite as drastic as Mike's paint correction thread BUT shes looking better than ever slowly but surely.  Tons of scratches on the horizontal surfaces and paint chips galore but its old paint and I havnt exactly been nice to it.  Step back a foot or two OR dont look at it at the exact right angle and it looks amazing so Im good with it.  Its a driver not a show stopper!

Quick pic I sent to a buddy, I didnt get a shot of the "tape line" trick to show the difference but the amount of haze and light scratches that came out is beyond incredible.

IMG_20170424_184407022_zps1mdt15kl.jpg

Every time I get it out for the first time in a while Im amazed at the amount of people who walk up and talk to me about it or stare at it...even when only the roof and hood are buffed and the rest of the car is faded and dusty LOL  Its always reassuring and gives me more motivation to carry on..

Matt

Congrats! :up:

But you know what happens when a car guy gets his project done and it runs perfect, right?

Yup! You change the combo and start a new project. So start ordering your Coyote swap parts for it. :duck: 

Don't forget the AC system! :love:

66sprint6 likes this

This setup will change only when/if it blows up OR it proves to not be reliable and I cant enjoy the car how I want...which I havnt been able to do for many years now THO thats my fault not the setup's...yet.  It could run factory perfect, make 450whp and be reliable as the day is long and Ide still not be done...Ide just be done with that part of the car.  I would LOVE that, then I could move on to the interior, body work, random suspension and brake issues and other little things I wanna do to it.  If this motor pops and Im not enjoying it when it happens, I have a feeling a run of the mill heads and cam 302 will take its place and I will move on.  Im not worried about it being overly fast anymore as its spooky as it is and cruising/sounding good/being reliable/enjoying the car is more of a priority these days.  a Coyote swap with AC, epas steering and much better suspension/brakes would be the ultimate...you will know I hit the jackpot when that goes down.  Thankfully I have the GT for all that to hold me over till then!

You are right  Brodie...Ide really like to get it to where I can fire it up whenever I feel like and drive it around without issue.  Its about there BUT its a long way off of being completely tuned.  I could get in it and drive it to work or out to eat any time I felt like it.  Shoot, itll make it to the M6 show at the end of May no problem as it sits but it still needs some WOT tuning and some basic nit-picking everywhere else.  I almost called you the other day after driving it by the way, was gonna see if I couldnt compare a couple things to the fastback.  Ill send you a text in a bit!

Matt

More small projects.  While waiting on some threaded rod to show up to complete the Z bar linkage mods I figured I would reinforce the Z bar itself.  With a stock clutch and normal driving most z bars were known to fold and bend over time and the clutch im running is much stiffer.  I added a piece thats on most new V8 Z bars and then stole Opentracker's idea using some solid rod to add support to the upper.  I also took the time to address some angle issues while at it.  Should be pretty solid now and was a fun little project.

IMG_20170429_132001835_zpsrskajked.jpg

IMG_20170429_202539438_zpsvhznbqdd.jpg

IMG_20170430_155828776_zpstq58bn14.jpg

I also adjust the gas pedal as it was a little annoying on my last long drive.  I need to get back on detailing it and then get to tweaking the carb a bit more then I would like to get it out and enjoy it some!

Matt

Got the upper clutch rod together, took some solid rod and threaded the ends to accept the heim joints.  I tossed a new boot on too while at it, doin it right LOL

IMG_20170503_174608892_zpsnigffyrc.jpg

Changed the lower Z bar arm angle a bit, cut the old brace off and put a better on in.  Now the lower rod is straight on with the clutch fork and as level as I could get it.  I also dont expect it to bend...ever.  

IMG_20170504_194543445_zpsyalsqbp9.jpg

Its painted up and ready to go back in.  I spaced the upper rod out to where the throw is as staight as I can get it as well.  Ordered the upper and lower Z bar springs (that the car never had) which will help round out the rebuild.  Should be as good as it can get once I get it all mounted up and adjusted correctly.  After that I move on to making some small tweaks to the brakes and then back to buffing the ole girls paint and minor tuning.  Im not gonna pull my hair out on the tuning before the M6A show, as long as its runnin decent enough to get to Nashville and back, and it should be, Ill be good.

Matt

Ashley P likes this

Got the Z bar all finished and installed along with the proper springs and adjusted the lower rod to the fork making sure everything is as straight and happy as possible.  Feels much smoother now, only way to get it to be easier would be to put a different pressure plate in, the current one is like a Mule kicking your leg when it engages and disengages.  Its much better feeling tho so Ill take it.  

IMG_20170508_191249745_zpsloesr7hy.jpg

IMG_20170508_191306855_zpstibblbev.jpg

Gonna try to get out out of the garage and check the brakes out then get back to some very half-assed polishing and paint touch up.  

Matt

Yeah from Unisteer.  Its one of their manual racks.  MUUUUUUUUCH better then and sloppy wore out stock junk and cheaper than having the stock box repaired PLUS it took care of the bump-steer issues I was having.

Matt

Posted (edited)

oh thats cool...bet it would go good with a EPAS :)

What spindles do you run?

Edited by JRANGER

One day I will do EPAS IF I can make it fit with my big ass feet.  Room is already tight as it sits but yes, this rack is perfect for EPAS setup!  Im running the ooooold school Granada swap.  Friend of mine picked up a Granada for the rear end for his car and I took the spindles for mine.  I would love to swap them out for some stock GT discs or even an upgrade to something new but for now they are fine.

Matt

You can get some 67 spindles pretty cheap..I think i paid $70 for mine and then the GT Brake kit i got was like $550....Its pretty legit and thats because i ordered it with everything. The brackets are only like 250...... 

I have some Granda tie rod ends if ya need them...Mevotech.....Bought them for the 67 then i realized i wasnt getting the adapters out for the 67 ends lol

As far as EPAS they now have a way to relocated the Square box that would be good for you

A

I dont think the 67+ will work for my 66.  Ive got some oddball tie rod ends that came with the Unisteer rack for the Granada spindles but thanks anyways!  If I do anything itll be a stock 65-66 GT setup with the 4 piston caliper.  Slightly bigger than the Granada rotor AND gets rid of the clamp style brake pads that make clunking noises all the time lol.

Matt

67 will work...They use the same Geometry as the Granda only difference is the Granda Spindles are a bit thicker..Use bigger bearings and such.....I have them on my 67 and had to swap out bearings in my Disc Brakes once i figured that out lol  

Ah ok...very cool to hear!  Funny thing is...one of the reasons I consider getting rid of the Granada setup (outside of the floating pad) is the geometry.  Its funky for the 65-66 but can be addressed and will work, which it does well enough for me.  Ill keep rocking them until I get my hands on a set of 65-66 spindles.  The 67 I6 and V8 spindles will both allow a disc brake swap which is awesome, whereas my I6 spindles wouldnt back in the day which made them scrap.

Matt

Spent the entire weekend finishing up making this 10ft car into more of a 5 footer and addressed the TINY drip coming from the waterpump while I was at it.  Got the leftover paint from my painter from when he did the lower valance and used it to touch up some of the 1,000 rock chips.  It matches well enough and is MUCH better than seeing the chips.  Rolled her out of the garage so as to not make a mess pulling the waterpump and she's definitely a decent 5 footer now so I did what I set out to do.

IMG_20170514_104819775_HDR_zpsa0jgvppd.j

Emblems will go back on this week sometime.  Pulling the waterpump was a nightmare thanks to how close it is to the fan, but I got it out without having to pull the radiator or the fan out, which would have been even worse.  Found the culprit for the leak and set about seeing if I could mend it.

IMG_20170514_112143884_zpszepbn7wp.jpg

For whatever reason the waterpump had a strange angle in it to clear...something or other that I dont have on my motor so the gasket doesnt have alot holding onto it.  When I pulled the pump the gasket was perfect all the way around except for right there so I cleaned it up and added some material.

IMG_20170514_113003995_zps3nkfvfaa.jpg

Then carefully ground it down as level as I could and then slathered it up in RTV for round two.

IMG_20170514_114330709_zpse69cmi6l.jpg

Im still happy that after the rebuild I only had 2 decent leaks and hopefully now both are good to go!  

OH, and just for my own notes in this thread, I took the adjustable brake pedal to MC rod out as I was noticing some dead space in the pedal a longer one in that came with the MC when I bought it.  I was afraid it was too long but it appears to have fixed the soft pedal issue and the brakes work a little better now.  This week I need to get it back out on the road, try to finish up tweaking the carb and make sure the brakes are happy then go thru the interior to try and make it decently presentable before taking it to Nashville.  

Matt

Mike likes this

Looks great.  You are really blasting through the little fixes and details.  Won't be long you'll run out of stuff to do.  :no:

JohnC likes this

HA I wish man.  Im blasting thru the cheap/easy stuff right now.  Unfortunately the car still runs like crap, rides like crap, stops like...well it doesnt even stop really, and is not overly safe.  Ill get that stuff sorted tho.  Another day and another dollar...along with a couple thousand of his buddies.

Matt

3 hours ago, Disney said:

Looks great!!!  Did you do the clay bar, Meguirs #7, rubby rubbs?

It was painted in 2000 using basecoat/clear so Clay, Meguiars Ultimate Compound, Carnuba Wax, NXT Wax was my recipe for a long weekend  I DID buy some #7 but for the truck since its single stage and it looks amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaziiiinggggggggggggg.  I cant even come close to getting all the scratches outta the poor Mustang BUT it looks alooot better than before for sure.  

Matt

NukeWorker likes this

Dusted off the interior...kinda sorta cleaned it a little and tossed the new mirror, antenna and emblems on the car.  

IMG_20170517_182226212_zpsajgeicqr.jpg

IMG_20170517_221240013_zpsfqc4nvgo.jpg

IMG_20170517_222450880_zpssnrmif2t.jpg

I half-way polished up the wheels and slicked out the tires too, what a mess and they appeared clean!  I need to remove them and really go to town on them but I dont have time.  They look good tho as is.  Today I need to take it for another longer drive, she whats shakes out and IF I have time, Im gonna check the valves one last time, see if maybe thats where some of my engine vibes are coming from.  Otherwise, final quick coat of wax and a wipe down and itll be ready to get rained on in Nashville Sat!!!

Matt

JohnC likes this

Long drive outta the way, runs well enough still some small issues but nothing that will keep me from getting to Nashville and back.  Its as clean as its gonna get so I put it back in the garage and wont touch it again till tomorrow morning.  Wait...better check and make sure the windshield wipers are up to snuff...forecast l

IMG_20170519_180245896_zpsqgwi2nrs.jpg

IMG_20170519_180313363_zps9m4g0nr5.jpg

IMG_20170519_181910_zpseylmjycr.jpg

Matt

mstrpth, Disney and Mike like this