Rate this topic:

1,063 posts in this topic

Got some more wrenchin done in an attempt to get the old girl ready for this years good weather and specifically Gatlinburg in Sept.  Started out installing new valve seals in an attempt to knock some of the smoking down.  I used to have to pull the valve cover and pop 2-3 valve seals down with a screw driver whenever she would start to smoke.  In Gatlinburg last year she started smoking really bad and I had the valve cover off every night tryin to keep the embarrassment to a minimum lol.

(Go ahead and laugh at my mess of a garage, but it beats workin in the driveway...which I still do lol)

ValveSeals_zpsa9ebee3f.jpg

Im hoping this fixes it because if not Im beginning to think that runnin it as rich as I was for so long has wiped out my rings.  Fingers crossed!

I then moved on to installing the Unisteer, bolt in rack and pinion steering setup.  VERY well made and the only mods you need to make are marked out clearly (little bit of grinding here and there and cutting a bit off the steering wheel column).  Everything went together with a little work but the danged J-pipe to the turbo wouldnt clear.  I cut the new crossmember and slightly dented the Jpipe and all is well now.  I was annoyed until I saw that even the V8 guys with Tri-Y headers were having the same issue.  Rednecked the toe settings and now all I gotta do is get her fired up and drive it around.

SteeringRack1_zpsa9f88cab.jpg

SteeringRack2_zps6183cb45.jpg

I shoulda got more pics along the way but I was tryin to get the job done and stay focused.  Im gonna get it runnin and see what else is needed to keep her happy while cruising then I plan on picking up a new steering wheel finally.  Oh, I also made a "guide" for my throttle cable with some brake tubing to help keep it from hitting stuff along its route and get the 90* turn to the carb a little less obnoxious.  Its smoother now and I can actually get WOT now which I was just shy of before.  Heres to hoping the smoking issues are gone, the new carb work from earlier continues to hold up, she runs cool and straight down the road LOL

Matt

I appreciate it.  Unique has been the ticket but if I cant get it right soon I might get rid of some of the uniqueness in favor of being able to cruise it reliably from here on.  I miss driving it all the time and am gettin sick of dealin with the issues so Im crossing my fingers that the latest round of work will help solve most of it.

I pulled the motor somethin like 6 times in one day and the last couple times were in the driveway after I had backed it out and discovered an issue.  I got pics somewhere, but I have no issue workin on it anywhere and everywhere it might be stuck dead lol.

Matt

I appreciate it.  Unique has been the ticket but if I cant get it right soon I might get rid of some of the uniqueness in favor of being able to cruise it reliably from here on.  I miss driving it all the time and am gettin sick of dealin with the issues so Im crossing my fingers that the latest round of work will help solve most of it.

I pulled the motor somethin like 6 times in one day and the last couple times were in the driveway after I had backed it out and discovered an issue.  I got pics somewhere, but I have no issue workin on it anywhere and everywhere it might be stuck dead lol.

Matt

Reliable, more mpg's, about 400hp to the tire...

http://www.modularfords.com/threads/166791-66-GT350H-5-0-Coyote-swap-begins

:dunno:

Oh believe me...if i had the cash, the poor turbo 6 would be GONE and the new 5.0 would be in there in a heartbeat.  I get 30+ mpg as it is (pig rich) on the highway, 7-9mpg around town.  Im thinkin with the latest changes the highway numbers will stay close but the around town will be better LOL.  Either way, the ONLY newer motor swap Ide consider would be the Coyote.  Otherwise Ide build a simple roller block 302 with good heads, intake and carb.  Already have a T5 so Im good from there back, just motor, mounts and a radiator and Im set!  Oh...and a new front valance and spoiler lol

Matt

You said don't laugh at your garage.... Trust me, I'm not. I want it! :yes:

I have no place but my parents gravel driveway to work on my junk. I think it's why I've done less and less over the years to my car as I get older. :lol:

When I do get a house with a garage, it's on, though! :hyper:

Unfortunately, if things go well next month, I'll only be in a condo. But it's a step closer to a home. Couldn't pass up a steal since the place sold in the early 2000's for $127,000.00 and we're paying much much less for it in 2014! :up:

Kpate likes this

Yeah funny thing is, I rented a house with a BIIIG garage back in the day and one bay was for the 66 permanantly and the 2nd bay had an old beer pong table that we cut in half and made a long workbench out of.  This cut the room down but you could pull in any car or truck far enough to be sheltered while you worked on it.  That was the "service" bay lol.  I moved into another house where I was stuck in the driveway again without a garage.  Put together the motor for the BlueCar on a pallet on the driveway (engine stand had a 351 stuck on it lol) and covered it with a tarp every night.  Now I bought a house with a 2 car garage and had both Mustangs in it just fine...buuuuut didnt have the money anymore to fool with em  :( .  Now I have 1 less mustang and a little more cash floating around so its time to get the garage back up and goin!  Im lookin forward to focusing on the 66 again but always missing the BlueCoupe and tryin to figure out when and how I might snag another to takes its place lol.  Till then Im slowly workin on clearing out the garage again so I can go back to doing the old "service bay" setup again.  I work on the ST and the truck in the driveway at the moment.

As for the 66, this week is hectic busy with work and then family coming in for the weekend but Im hoping to have it up and running again soon.  All I gotta do is prime the oil system and fire it up, run it for a while and make sure everything is happy then change the plugs and oil like I do every year lol.  If I have a free second this week Ill do it, if not, itll be next week for sure!

Matt

JohnC likes this

How much dimpling on the exhaust pipe did you have to do??? Might be time to make a more efficient pipe and crank it up.... :evild:

Kevin, I BARELY had to dimple it thanks to cutting most of what I needed off the bracket itself.  It BARELY touched and I dont think it would even be noticeable except whenever I shifted etc and it might touch slightly so I took the hammer to the pipe lightly to make more room.  Unfortunately, with the manifold I have and the room/routing options available...the J-pipe is as good as its gonna get for now.  If I can get a header put together, or even a better log style manifold straight to the turbo, then it would be good but this works for now!!!  

Matt

Jumped the old girl off last night, she fired right up and ran like a top!!!  No more smoke, smells alot less and other than a BIG vacuum leak causing an annoying screaming noise somewhere, shes doin well.  Drove it all over the Boro in the heat of the day, let it sit for quite some time in the driveway running while tryin to track down the vacuum leak and she never topped 180*.  Things are looking promising!!!  Needs an alignment to tighten up the new steering setup but its already 100x better than the stock setup, no more bump steer!!!!

Matt

JohnC likes this

Well...was lookin at getting the old girl out and cleaned up this weekend to cruise around some on Sunday in the nice weather.  Found the vacuum leak (at least I believe I did) and then fired her up to take her round the block and check.  Heard a nasty exhaust leak and figured it was the Jpipe needing a final tightening.  Ended up being a broken donut gasket, no biggie, I had a spare.  I have to use the solid ones so when they break they are less likely to go into the turbo and foul it up...which Ive had happen in the past.  Put a new donut in and she STILL leaked.  The damned flare in the J pipe is warped and wont seal up so I took it in this morning and had it re-flared...heres to hoping that fixes it.  If not, its going to the exhaust shop anyways to get the exhaust ran over the rear end and some turndown tips added so Ill have to pony up the cash and have em put together a new J pipe...no big deal.

On a lighter note, I finally finished a project I tossed around back when I swapped seats in the 66.

IMG_20140526_151429184_HDR_zpscp5f7z2a.j

IMG_20140526_151842683_HDR_zpsqmqkxcac.j

i was either going to make an office chair or some lawn chairs with em and thought Ide try the office chair approach first.  Really simple to do and now Im trying it out at work as we speak.  If I can handle sitting in it all day Ill send it out to be reupholstered and then maybe add a Hurst shifter for the adjustment arm lol.  If I cant stand it all day long then Im gonna go back and look at making some lawn chairs out of both seats!

Matt

JohnC likes this

I like it! :yes:

My home office chair is going. A bolt broke in one arm rest and the seat is getting wobbly. Might have to build my own next time around, too. :up:

Yeah Im eyeballin my old office chair here at work and it has a chrome lower which I might have to swap over to this chair if I get to liking it enough to keep it!!!  

Matt

Yeah Im eyeballin my old office chair here at work and it has a chrome lower which I might have to swap over to this chair if I get to liking it enough to keep it!!!  

Matt

Chrome would look awesome with the mustang seat! :up:

I got a guy!  He's a good buddy of mine's dad who does reupholster jobs for anything from furniture to cars, boats etc.  Hes gonna look at my chair next week and quote me to add padding and reupholster it back to the stock look.  Not sure if we will go with vinyl or leather, depends on the quote I guess.  Once I get this one done Im gonna have him quote me to redo the BMW seats in the 66.

Matt

I got a guy!  He's a good buddy of mine's dad who does reupholster jobs for anything from furniture to cars, boats etc.  Hes gonna look at my chair next week and quote me to add padding and reupholster it back to the stock look.  Not sure if we will go with vinyl or leather, depends on the quote I guess.  Once I get this one done Im gonna have him quote me to redo the BMW seats in the 66.

Matt

after you get back from your honeymoon, let me know. Chair and mechanicals are good, just needs new padding and may change the fabric from poop brown corduroy.....

Yeah man for sure, Ill post up about it too whenever it goes down!  For now the 66 is over at Maxi Muffler getting the exhaust ran over the rear end and to some tucked away tips that turn down at the valence like the stock V8 cars used to run em.  They are also tucking the rest of the exhaust up closer to the floor which is gonna cost me some $$$ but it shoulda been done that way the first time...but thats ok itll all work out in the end and hopefully Ill be able to have more clearance and less butthole pucker moments when approaching bumps at speed lol

Matt

Ya best share those wedding and honeymoon pics with us, Matt! :yes:

And send me some wedding cake. Just overnight it to me packed in a box with dry ice, wrapped in foil and then saran wrapped! ;)

PM for shipping address. :lol:

Ya best share those wedding and honeymoon pics with us, Matt! :yes:

And send me some wedding cake. Just overnight it to me packed in a box with dry ice, wrapped in foil and then saran wrapped! ;)

PM for shipping address. :lol:

Freeloader..... :2fingers:  :rofl:

JohnC likes this

No cake here, were doin mini cupcakes instead and we got quite a few of em of all different flavors!  Im lookin forward to it more and more the closer we get to it thats for sure!  Especially the honeymoon, been a while since Ive done a longer road trip like we are planning...since i was a kid really and this is one part of the Country I havnt seen most of so Im really really looking forward to it!

Got the call this morning, Exhaust is done and they didnt charge me half of what I was expecting  :jiggy:   Now I just need to snag a ride over to check it all out and pick her up!  Here's to hoping all is well finally!

Matt

Kpate and JohnC like this

turndowns_zps66004173.jpg

turndowns1_zpsdc78c9da.jpg

Exhaust looks spot on with what I wanted!  I HATE tips on 64.5-66 Mustangs without a valence cut out or notches at the bottom.  I love the laid back turndown look and wanted it the be hidden behind the valance but Im actually pretty good with the look it has now!  Sound wise, the combo of the I6, turbo and mufflers makes it a strange deal.  If you try to drive very light footed shifting before 2K rpm each gear it is super smooth and very loud...LOVE IT!  If you get on it a little more aggressively and shift around 2K-3K its very quiet and not as smooth sounding.  Also like this cause you can cruise quietly if needed.  Then if you romp it and spool it up she ROARS back to life and sounds really sweet!  Itll never be a 302 sound wise but it sounds good for a 6!

Matt

JohnC and Kpate like this