Rate this topic:

1,020 posts in this topic

ANOTHER UPDATE 2017:  The Inline has been pulled and an Exploder 302 will take its place.  The new direction starts on page 37 and carries on from there.

As of 2017, The inline was pulled and sold locally to live on under the hood of another Mustang.  The new setup consists of:

Explorer 302 with P heads

TFS Stage 1 Cam

New springs and seals

JBA mid length headers

Megasquirt EFI done by Disney

Thought Ide toss up the latest on the old 66. Ill dig up some older pics from the beginning for those who may not be familiar with the car, but heres the latest.

UPDATED Summer 2015.  Changes listed in red.

1966 Mustang Coupe "Sprint" package

200 ci inline six BONE stock pistons, rods and crank Now .040 bored stock block, custom RaceTech Pistons, stock rods and cranks

292 cam (oooold) Ed Curtis custom cam

BIG log 250 head with valve springs for cam, milled for 2V carb direct mount Aussie 250-2V head and intake

Holley 2300 500cfm carb by QuickFuel for blow thru

Custom Header

TE44 turbo

Front mount intercooler

3" downpipe split to 2.5" pipes to Flowmaster 40s

WorldClass T5

Custom steel driveshaft from Dave's

8.8 with 3.55 gears from Fox

Grab a trac 4 lead, mid eye rear springs with 1" lowering blocks

New stock front springs with 1.5 coils cut

Shelby 1" UCA drop

Unisteer Rack and Pinion

17x8 TT2

245 BFG Sports

Im sure Im missing a bunch of stuff but you get the jist of it. The carb needs a TON of work and is about to be rebuilt, but she runs SUPER rich at the moment. I put it on Carma's dyno and initially put down an EARTH shattering 151 rwhp LOL. The A/F was off the chart rich (8:1ish) so they did a little tweaking, dropped the jets down to the lowest ones my Holley jet kit had which was only 2 sizes lower than what was already in it and gave it another go. This time the A/F was right around the 9:1 area and she picked up a TON, layin down 243 rwhp but the torque was in the low 300s. Ide love to find someone who can get this carb where it needs to be and see what she's capable of then!!! Oh, and all this was on 20psi with the old 2.5" crush bent downpipe and no mufflers, stock rear end with 2.73 gears. Now with the new exhaust and gears, 15psi feels stronger than 20 ever did!!! Back when I first put this setup together, on a different dyno (which may be where the difference in numbers truely lies) on the smaller stock turbo she put down more HP but less torque, would love to get this sucker tweaked and see what the new setup is worth.

DynoGraph.jpg

Took her to Gatlinburg this past weekend for Shade of the Past which was an adventure in itself. 4th year goin, but the old Mustang put up a fight. She has a bad vibration around 70mph and when you let off the gas it gets really bad which seems to point to a bad U-joint, and then after foolin around showin off a bit she ran like *** and almost made me think I wouldnt be gettin her home lol. She would idle fine, but if you tried to get rolling it wouldnt go, you had to floor the hell out of it and slip the clutch. Once you got movin she would run fine so long as I kept the vac around the 5in-0in area, and she ran awesome with a couple psi boost. I put some fresh gas in and she came back around on the way home but I suspect somethin else is up. ANYways, she at least looked and sounded pretty good! Here are a couple of the few shots I got.

Crappy shot, but this was the first time these two cars have been together since highschool...FINALLY we were both able to get the old girls out for the weekend.

2012-09-07_18-18-45_760.jpg

In the morning after a bit of rain

2012-09-08_10-14-06_50.jpg

Notice anything similar between the two?

2012-09-08_10-16-19_420.jpg

IMG_20120908_123836.jpg

Thats all I got, she did make it home and now its time to tear her apart and figure out whats up. New Ujoints are on the way along with a carb rebuild kit and a new balancer. After that I will see about gettin the carb tuned!

Matt

NukeWorker and LSH8TER like this

I appreciate it guys...she has come a LOOOONG way. Just realized that Ive owned this car longer than I havnt LOL THATS a startling thought. Its a love/hate relationship but I wouldnt have it any other way. If I could get the bugs out of the carb and get it to run right around town AND when I mash the go pedal I would be ALOT happier so thats my next endeavor. Wish me luck!

Matt

**** nice, man! :cheers:

What do you think she'll run as it sites now down the 1/4? :3gears:

Ive pretty much givin up racing her as she bogs like a MOFO off the line or I have to give it hell and spin like crazy. The new rear gear and posi has helped a TON but I dunno. She feels faster for sure, but I wouldnt even know where to start. Without any further tuning and with some time to get my driving back in check Ide say its only worth low 13s at best. With some tuning, tires and driving I would love to see 12s, maybe high 11s but in all reality, I just wanna cruise this thing and have a little fun around town. Maybe down the road once I get some of the bugs worked out I might get back to the track with her but thats what I was building the BlueCoupe for. Never know tho!

Matt

Oh, and another promising thing I took from the dyno deal on top of the fact that she was SO rich was that she laid down 20 less rwhp but almost 20 MORE rwtq than my HCI 302 in the BlueCoupe!!! Once I get the driveability issues taken care of and get the carb leaned out to the point of being happy yet still safe, she should be more fun to drive than I deserve LOL. Gonna mean the new motor for the BlueCoupe is gonna have to step it up a bit tho!

Matt

Dont laugh, I know the camera falls over part way thru but here's the new exhaust note.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/66sprint6/th_2012-08-25_16-42-46_464.jpg

I havnt wired up the 3" dump yet but I kinda dig the sound thru the mufflers. The drone in the cabin is annoying, unlike my 5.0 was, so I might toss some tips out the back to calm that down but she has a really unique note to her. She got a TON of attention cruisin around the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area thats for sure!

Matt

sounds great imo. and thank you for using photobucket. at work i'm limited to what i can see. youtube = fail

HA! I only use Photobucket, its super easy and seems to work on most forums!

Those are some plain, ole Flowmaster 40s. I have a 3" electric dump in the system as well so I wasnt worried about putting some higher flowing mufflers, but havnt messed with it yet. I am thinkin about wiring it up to the high boost switch but may just run a seperate switch so I can play with it even on low boost. Ive always liked the Flowmaster rumble and back before I put the turbo on I had a dual out header and dual Flowmasters on this thing and it sounded sweet down low. I always said the one thing this thing was missing was a good, deep exhaust and I often wished I had dropped a 302 in it just for that reason. Now I am pretty happy with it and it turned heads last weekend which was nice.

Matt

I used to run straight out both sides with no mufflers and loved it, but I wanted to get that Flowmaster sound AND still be able to open the dump when needed. I almost got rid of the dump after seein how low it sits but I havnt hit anything with it yet so far so Im gonna wire it up and see if I like it. If I were ever to start racing it again Ide keep it for sure.

Matt

Yup!!! Got my QuickFuel rebuild kit in, took it completely apart, soaked it, scrubbed it and blew out everything I could with compressed air and then put it back together with all the new gaskets, new 5 powervalve rather than the 4.5 and the 55 jets Pate gave me in place of the 64s. She was runnin 9:1 rich on the 64s so Ill go real easy on it and see where the new jets put me and order other sizes from there. I also checked to make sure the valvetrain wasnt missing anything or had any issues and it checked out other than yet another valve seal popped up. I also tackled the stupid rear ujoint issue...by ordering up another Spicer 1310-1330 ujoint. I bought another conversion joint at O'reillys but the caps wouldnt fit in the driveshaft without alot of force. I swapped some caps from my broken spicer and it slipped on perfect but I realized the spicer greases thru a groove in the Ujoint itself where the O'reilly greases thru grooves in the cap :shake: I got on this morning and just ordered another cause the Spicer fit like a glove and the only reason it broke a needle was my own stupidity while installing it. I know better now. ANYways, cant wait to get it runnin again to try and get the carb happy and see what she's made of. Im not lookin to make a ton of power but Im certainly interested in seein what she's got! More important, I want the driveability to come around to where I can enjoy driving her again. One day!!!

Matt

Still runnin like pooh around the time the PowerValve should be opening (between 10 and 0 vac under acceleration). I messed with the accel pump cam and got the car to quit dying when I free rev it but still acts up when you put a load on it (driving around). Ive got all my fuel filters out and replaced, just waiting on one to come in the mail then I think I will take the carb back apart real quick and see if any trash got into the system. When I first drove it around after the rebuild she ran great for a block or two then started the lean condition under acceleration deal again. Ill knock it down eventually...probably just in time to pull the motor out and freshen it up LOL

Matt

Another Shades of the Past weekend in Pigeon Forge has come and gone, and this one more memorable than the 4 previous years!  Been messin with the carb non stop the last couple weeks to try and get the damned thing running well enough to get to the show and back.  STILL had a nasty lean cut out between 10" and 0 on the vac gauge and due to the new rear gears it fell RIGHT where I needed to be while cruising on the interstate.  I got it to run pretty danged good around town but it was too lean on the interstate so I fattened it up with jets, accel pump cam and squirter changes.  Cleaned up the car and got ready to hit the road.

IMG_20130906_141457_480_zpsebf035bb.jpg

IMG_20130906_141523_831_zps8d509d2a.jpg

The ride up sucked, she ran hot and had to pull over 4 times to blead the system and top off with coolant.  We finally made it and the carb was WAY too fat at idle and apparently I had popped another valve seal up on the valve during the trip making it a smoke machine LOL.  The next morning I pulled the valve cover and fixed it before heading down to the show with my buddies

IMG_20130907_094705_888_zpse48ee150.jpg

This gave the Girls a chance to run to town ahead of us and the Boys went hunting for a "break down" location for the stunt I was gonna pull later in the day.  We met back up with the Girls, Kathleen (GF) rode with me and we "broke down" on the way up the mountain to Gatlinburg.  I pedaled the car, held it in the lean spot and let it pop, spit fire, die then come alive all the way to a turn off with a convenient overlook of the river between the two lanes.  I cussed, popped the hood and asker her to hold a vac line that I had just popped loose saying she needed to make sure not to spill it or else we were stuck there.  Grabbed the tool box, tossed it on the ground with more cussing and began to dig around in it eventually pulling out somethin shiney and NOT car related and asked her to marry me.  She eventually said yes after making sure I was for real (never letting the vac line go by the way LOL).  Then after some pics and giving her time to soak it all in I went to work on fixing somethin I found while were sitting there.  The Jpipe had come loose explaining my lack of boost so I tightened it back up and off we went LOL

1240254_10151840399675342_2113757499_n_z

1185169_10151844150855342_1271811048_n_z

After that the car just kept acting up, running like a giant turdsickle, smoking and generally just being a pain to drive normally.  Once on the boost the thing was a freight train and a TON of fun but around town it suuuuucked.  Thoughts of scrapping the entire project and swapping a reliable, simple head, cam and decent carbed 302 crept into my head.  I decided to give a hunch that Pate and I had been discussing a whirl as a last ditch attempt to regain control of the boosted inline project and ordered a pump gas metering block from quickfuel.  Apparently, when my carb was built by quickfuel they thought we had said it would run on meth when we meant it would run meth injection rather than an intercooler so they put a meth block on the carb explaining the lean spot and eventual MASSIVE rich conditions.  The new block alone with no other tweaks fired right up and ran around the neighborhood like it was a bone stock off the line car!!!!!!!  Ive since leaned it out slightly and have a little more to go but as it sits its finally a blast to drive.  Im not kidding when I say its NEVER been fun to drive, Ive always had to pedal it to get it right.  Now i can launch from a light without stalling it, I can punch it in any gear and itll GO rather than coughing and spitting while I pedal it to stay alive.  I havnt gone full boost yet but once I get the idle A/F down a bit and the cruise happy Im gonna move on to BOOOST.  Cant explain how happy I am with the thing and I cant wait to see where it goes from here.  Now I need to find a couple carb buddies (Pate!) and hit up a dyno, see what kinda tweaking we can do in a more controlled environment and see what she's made of on the rollers.

Matt

LSH8TER likes this

Oh yeah...and I forgot about the driveshaft saga.  Was getting alot of bad vibrations above 50mph only on decel and after alot of back and forth with Driveshaft Dave he discovered that my custom aluminum shaft was bent down the middle making it USELESS.  That and it was sloppy where the rear u joint was making for lots of headaches.  He tossed together steel shaft for me and it has cure all my issues since!!!  It was a heck of an ordeal but Dave hooked my up and Ill be a pain in his *** from here on out whenever i have driveline trouble.

Matt

Thanks John!

Kevin, I dropped the float level after doin some reading last night and fired her up to check the idle A/F real quick.  As she was warming up she leaned out to a very satisfying mid 14 level so Im hoping that was all I needed to get the idle to quit smoking and smell a little better LOL.  If not, I can adjust a few other things thanks to the new block having screw in bleeds EVERYWHERE.  Once i get the thing dialed in a tad better I want to look into figuring out how to keep the stupid valve seals from coming unseated.

Matt

No more vent tube extensions at this moment.  Im gonna get the cruise and idle AFR down then Ill mess with the screw in PVCRs to get the fuel needed for WOT.  If this works out she will be pretty decently dialed in!!!  Im waiting on a few odds and ends to come in then I can see where it goes from there!  Just got done puttin some E30 BMW seats in the old girl.

IMG_20130926_083610_998_zps86589349.jpg

IMG_20130924_191321_521_zps109abcac.jpg

IMG_20130926_173755_160_zpsc8e382a2.jpg

These pics were taken during mock up but basically I removed/cut the BMW frame off and mounted the 66's original frames on so I wouldnt have to cut the floor risers out of the car and brace the floor.  Fits like a glove and are pretty comfy!!!  Not bad for FREE seats!  They will be recovered eventually but for now they will do.  Ill take some better pics later.

Matt

Those seats have a better shape. Look kind of like the Recaro and other performance seats out there. :yes:

I like the looks better having the head rest, too. :up:

They are BMW's knockoff of the Recaro seat available back then!  They are much more supportive and the headrest is a nice safety addition as well.

Matt