speedwaytaco160

Needing a transmission guru (t56)

19 posts in this topic

Hello, 

Friend of mine has a faceplated T56 and he doesnt have forth. Tore the transmission apart to see whats wrong. Couldnt find anything wrong. All the gears seem to be fine. Does anybody know someone in clarksville or Nashville that can look at this. He said he would pay you to look at it. Thanks Let me know Ray

1 hour ago, speedwaytaco160 said:

Hello, 

Friend of mine has a faceplated T56 and he doesnt have forth. Tore the transmission apart to see whats wrong. Couldnt find anything wrong. All the gears seem to be fine. Does anybody know someone in clarksville or Nashville that can look at this. He said he would pay you to look at it. Thanks Let me know Ray

I'm not a t56 guy, they are different than a TKO and need some special tools.  Quint Dullworth at Beaman in Nashville is kinda the go to guy for T56's around here.  The number I have for him is 270-559-5539.  Tell your friend to tell him Mike Edwards told him to call.  Quint is one of Josh Angley's friends, I think Josh worked on your old car if I remember right, Quint probably helped.

If he has all the other gears but forth, then it's not the actual gear that's bad.  If it's faceplated, something with that, the slider assembly or fork is bad.  But if 3rd is fine the slider and fork are probably good.

JohnC likes this

If your referring to my old 2002 SOM SS then yes. I had James give the transmission to Shane. I appreciate it Mike. Thanks a lot. 

Edited by speedwaytaco160

No 4th, but every other gear is fine?

3 hours ago, Mike said:

I'm not a t56 guy, they are different than a TKO and need some special tools.  Quint Dullworth at Beaman in Nashville is kinda the go to guy for T56's around here.  The number I have for him is 270-559-5539.  Tell your friend to tell him Mike Edwards told him to call.  Quint is one of Josh Angley's friends, I think Josh worked on your old car if I remember right, Quint probably helped.

If he has all the other gears but forth, then it's not the actual gear that's bad.  If it's faceplated, something with that, the slider assembly or fork is bad.  But if 3rd is fine the slider and fork are probably good.

,I wonder if the "faceplate" has sheered off the gear.  Odd (at least to me) that 3rd is fine and 4th is AWOL...

And tell Quint to get on here, I haven't seen/heard from him in years!

52 minutes ago, speedwaytaco160 said:

Very weird because the 3/4 are the same faceplate. I have no clue. 

I've never seen a t56 apart.  I have seen several other models apart and rebuilt a few.  I can't imagine a way for 3rd and 4th to share a faceplate.  They share a "slider" in - my terms - which will have to be made entirely different from a "stock" transmission.  (Faceplating  - to me-  means taking the original engagement teeth off and putting different teeth on each gear.

Got a pic of said gear?  http://www.thegearbox.org/catalog/item/3838217/3508194.htm

Edited by Ashley P

When I click on your link my computer shows me a dozen or so images then zooms on one, so I don't know which image you mean.  However, the description in the tab says "3/4 slider".  A slider is what I mentioned above.   A slider is the part you move to engage a different gear in a manual trans.  It will engage 3rd gear when it's moved fully in one direction, 4th when moved fully the opposite direction, and a neutral is right in the middle.

Below is a thumb pushing a slider into a faceplated gear (4th?).  I'm familiar with the way Liberty's Gears puts a "pro shift" engagement gear on Muncie 4 speeds.  I know they are welded on (and strongly at that).  If the welds were to break it would result in what you describe, so I'd look at that area between the helical teeth and the "faceplate" to see if there has been ANY movement there (burrs, shavings, debris, especially galling).

Libertytrannymods019.jpg

Just looked at another site where someone said they put their own faceplates on.  Oh my.  Who did the work on that T56??