Mike

Performance Auto Fabrication Fabrication Pictures

Rate this topic:

94 posts in this topic

I finished up the chute Sunday and he came and got the car.  He wanted to go to a CTSV TBSS meet at Beech Bend Saturday.  Then it's coming back for the wing.

I wasn't 100% happy with the lever mounting, there just isn't a good spot.  Typically you would mount this to the main hoop on the roll bar or cage, but no cage in this car.  The issue is you can't move the passenger seat too far forward.

IMG_1049.JPG

IMG_1048.JPG

IMG_1050.JPG

Chad, 66sprint6 and mstrpth like this

I'm not sure, but probably not actually fast enough to need it yet.  It's got nitrous stickers, but no nitrous yet.

Posted (edited)

That's gonna be nice!

Those vertical ends of the spoiler....can you sell the customer some Caddy heritage and put 1960 model fins on it?  :D 

118.jpg

Edited by Ashley P

More progress.  I have to get a new rear plate cut.  I didn't like the plain flat one I made, so I'm going to make one with scallops on the bottom to match the mounts that are bent down in the picture below.

I did add a little style, but nothing quite like those fins.  It wouldn't match the rest of the car.  Instead of the side plates being bent to sit straight up, I angled them out a little to compliment the ground effects.

IMG_1192.JPG

IMG_1193.JPG

IMG_1195.JPG

4 of these struts will support the wing eventually.

IMG_1197.JPG

The money shot

IMG_1198.JPG

I finished up the fitting tonight.  Tore it all back apart and cleaned everything and final assembled it.  I even half polished his decklid to get rid of some of plasti dip and wear from the carbon fiber spoiler that was on it.  I'm just waiting on the rear wickerbill plate to get re-cut at the local laser shop, then I'll bolt it on and send the car on it's way.

This is the filler to cover where the tail light was.  I put riv nuts everywhere that you can't get to the backside of the panel to put a nut.

IMG_1215.JPG

IMG_1216.JPG

IMG_1219.JPG

IMG_1220.JPG

IMG_1221.JPG

IMG_1222.JPG

mstrpth, Disney and Ashley P like this

Posted (edited)

But, but, 

cheater!  :) 

Wait.  Are you saying no adjustments could help, so it's perfect:)   

Edit:  I'm curious about wind tunnel stuff.  I had a buddy who's dissertation was about how he developed paint that changes color relative to pressure (to use in places sensors can't go, turbine blades and whatnot). 

But, again, good job.  Please post some vids of the car at the top end of the track, preferably on a very humid day.

Edited by Ashley P

Great job!

Ponder on this.  I was telling a racing buddy that parachutes could have "automatic deployment" based on yaw and other sensor.  With stability stuff already on these new cars, who's planning to tie the two systems together?

17 hours ago, Ashley P said:

Ponder on this.  I was telling a racing buddy that parachutes could have "automatic deployment" based on yaw and other sensor.  With stability stuff already on these new cars, who's planning to tie the two systems together?

I think you're the sole planner on that one. Good news, nobody will challenge you for patent rights.

JohnC likes this