Chad

Random thought thread

18,972 posts in this topic

Shop recommendations, friend with a intermittent CEL on a Honda that isn't intermittent any longer and tags up in a month?  I think I remember Disney saying something about Crutcher's in Franklin.

Disney likes this

Anyone mess with an Autel MX808?  Looking at scan tools again, not sure I want to pop for a bi-directional unit.

Ashley, what do you use in the shop?

The shop uses a Snap On Solus Pro.   At home I use an Innova 3130, it will graph live data.  Best of all, you can rent it at Autozone and give it a money back test drive.

Hey, I just got that particular one because I was broke down out of town, used it, and found it to be acceptable...so I Amazon'd one later.  Go rent whatever your nearest auto parts store has, see if it works for you.  What are you needing?

Mainly the o2 live data of the aforementioned Honda.

Dealer said cat, 3 years ago, but the light would be random, come on and go off going down the interstate.  I think the rear o2 was replaced which fixed it for a bit but came back at random.  Usually wait until the MIL was off and run it through Marta, but it seems that it isn't going off this time.  I didn't see any obvious wiring issues when I was under it, but I don't exactly fit under it with ramps.

I can't remember what the code was in it, too long ago, I think it was something like rear o2 low voltage.

^ Adjusting IDLE mixture screws....amazingly....affects the fuel mixture at IDLE.  See the BS at 8:56 on....a show for retards??

Little 10 bolt?  OK, 8.5"

But just mentioning the Butlers brings them into reality.  

JohnC likes this

8 hours ago, Ashley P said:

^ Adjusting IDLE mixture screws....amazingly....affects the fuel mixture at IDLE.  See the BS at 8:56 on....a show for retards??

It's a comedy show now. :lol: 

On 1/15/2021 at 9:33 PM, Disney said:

Well, that would point to a bad cat or rear 02 as likely issues. 

Cleared the codes this morning and after a drive cycle:

Perm: P0420

Stored: P0420

Pending: P0420

Had a P0430 and another one before I cleared them but it never came back after a drive cycle, =/- 10 miles.

10 hours ago, Ashley P said:

136rwhp of fury from the 400 cube pontislack. :lol: 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

136rwhp of fury from the 400 cube pontislack. :lol: 

Do you still believe what MSM tells you?  FAKE HP!    :D  That black smoke was from the dyno roasting with Pontiac POWA!!    Poncho 2024!!  MAKE PONTIAC GREAT AGAIN!!  

JohnC and Tino like this

11 minutes ago, Cannon Fodder said:

Cleared the codes this morning and after a drive cycle:

Perm: P0420

Stored: P0420

Pending: P0420

Had a P0430 and another one before I cleared them but it never came back after a drive cycle, =/- 10 miles.

Doing some poking and history.....

B1 is 1/3/5........1/3/5 was re-ringed under warranty in 2016 because of https://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/23/honda-settles-class-action-lawsuit-engines/

So...i need to look at the live data more and research as some of this is new to me, but the car was draining the oil pan in about 2k miles at the time.  It took almost a year of pestering the dealer to cover it.

I'm not really shocked if it needs a B1 cat as I know it was oil soaked for quite a while.

Ashley P likes this

ohhhhhk, Im gonna ask did this code start popping up around the same time fuel stations started pushing the 10% ethanol junk??

If so run all that out, clear out any codes, refill with 100% gasoline and run a few trips and see if it shows up again.

Ive had three cars do that p0420 code with the first one the cats and o2 sensors were only 11 yes eleven miles old after being replaced

found it didnt like the 10% junk

5 hours ago, KNIGHT347 said:

ohhhhhk, Im gonna ask did this code start popping up around the same time fuel stations started pushing the 10% ethanol junk??

If so run all that out, clear out any codes, refill with 100% gasoline and run a few trips and see if it shows up again.

Ive had three cars do that p0420 code with the first one the cats and o2 sensors were only 11 yes eleven miles old after being replaced

found it didnt like the 10% junk

10% ethanol has been standard in western KY for about 10 years and I've not noticed any cat problems that I'd blame on the fuel.

9 hours ago, Tino said:

I did a cam swap on my little silverado.

I got a good deal on the cam kit. Bought it from one of my coworkers. 

I just need injectors, fuel pump, nitrous kit :rocks: and a tune. 

I also installed a ptc 3600 torque converter. 

20210118_052759.jpg

20210118_044055.jpg20210118_044149.jpg20210118_044214.jpg

20210116_173058_1.mp4

That looks like a healthy cam for a truck! :up: 

Tino likes this

Anybody have any recommendations for an exhaust shop? May need to have a couple of bends/welds made to finish out the exhaust if we can't make it work.

Does anybody know anyone who does 3D printing? Would like to mount my wideband using the factory ashtray/cigarette lighter tray.

JohnC likes this