Chad

Random thought thread

18,924 posts in this topic

There's different failures.  Most AFM that I work on have failed in the "don't open the valve" mode.  My theory is that if it's never put back in that mode, it won't hang there.

Of course, there are also roller failures which mandate at least a lifter replacement and sometimes cam also.

39 minutes ago, JohnC said:

That's a good looking truck. :up:

Delete DoD, new cam and lifters and go! 

Plan was to flip truck and make some money. I do like it tho. Drove it to work and it ran perfect. On the way back home it started to miss fire again.  If I do open her up I'll just keep it. It has damage on right rear bed. 

@Ashley P is this what you're talking about?

https://www.rangetechnology.com/products/afm-dfm_disabler/

Had a buddy check Facebook for me and he found some local. I'll do what you said and install it while the truck is running good. 

20201220_070334.jpg

20201220_070320.jpg

JohnC likes this

3 hours ago, gammey4 said:

@Tino i can turn that off in the tune for you. You free Monday to show me that other truck?

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Yeah I'll be free Monday just give me a call or send a text. 

And I bought one of those afm disablers and it fixed the problem. Put 40 miles on it and no more missing. 

66sprint6, JohnC, Ashley P and 1 other like this

22 hours ago, Tino said:

Plan was to flip truck and make some money. I do like it tho. Drove it to work and it ran perfect. On the way back home it started to miss fire again.  If I do open her up I'll just keep it. It has damage on right rear bed. 

@Ashley P is this what you're talking about?

https://www.rangetechnology.com/products/afm-dfm_disabler/

Had a buddy check Facebook for me and he found some local. I'll do what you said and install it while the truck is running good. 

20201220_070334.jpg

20201220_070320.jpg

That's a LTZ, so does it have leather? 

I think the LTZ is the loaded package, right? 

On 12/20/2020 at 6:22 PM, Kevin said:

Here's a cool story that will bring a tear to your eye.

I love stuff like this! I was telling my wife, the other day, that old cars have stories, history, and even personalities. This is a great example.

:shrug:Does anybody else attempt work at home for cash/trade and find that projects are much more difficult than you first think?  I've got two carpenter vehicles that need work.  One is a Honda motorcycle that after a long storage, needs tank and carb cleaning.  Turns out it's got two tanks (one is buried in the middle of the bike) and 4 carbs (that also were molded into place).   The other vehicle is a 6.0 diesel Ford, turns out the PCM board isn't making 48 volts which I usually fix with a Dorman control board EXCEPT this board is an early model "7 pin" which is much harder to source.

66sprint6 likes this

ALWAYS! Some of the simplest projects always have hidden gems. Like putting EFI on an old Mustang only to fire it up and find out the flywheel is balanced wrong and it's shaking your whole shop.... @66sprint6 lol

The last "project" car I did was this 1967 Datsun Roadster. Talk about hidden gems... Started as a "get it running". I'm a "Get it running and driving safely and reliably" That turns a week long project into a 9 month project with new seats and carpet, rust remediation, fuel system restoration, paint restoration, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

66sprint6 and Tino like this

This sounds similar to "buy a lowered truck, throw an engine in it, and enjoy it for the summer (we're now at 8 months)" or "throw a front clip back on a Nova (now going on 23 years)" scenarios.  Only I'm not receiving pay or services. LOL

Tino and Disney like this

I think my Camaro SS is going to be just that..... :(

Every step forward was two steps back. :smirk:

I really believe it is cursed. :meh: 

I have the cash in the bank to ship it to Tim King for a rebuild and dyno tune, but decided to take a break. :doh: 

I since bought a motorcycle and now I have a dang near half million dollar house I'm closing on the 27th. :lol: 

Add I have a six month old, plan on two more babies in the near future and that Camaro SS might become a long term project. :meh: 

It just depends on how I feel really. :shrug: 

It's getting more difficult to get motivated to do anything anymore. :yes: 

Ashley P likes this

29 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I think my Camaro SS is going to be just that..... :(

Every step forward was two steps back. :smirk:

I really believe it is cursed. :meh: 

I have the cash in the bank to ship it to Tim King for a rebuild and dyno tune, but decided to take a break. :doh: 

I since bought a motorcycle and now I have a dang near half million dollar house I'm closing on the 27th. :lol: 

Add I have a six month old, plan on two more babies in the near future and that Camaro SS might become a long term project. :meh: 

It just depends on how I feel really. :shrug: 

It's getting more difficult to get motivated to do anything anymore. :yes: 

Me too.  Election Depression?   lol   (Actually I had it long before.  It's called priorities. I think.)

2 hours ago, Ashley P said:

Me too.  Election Depression?   lol   (Actually I had it long before.  It's called priorities. I think.)

I have found that playing with Little People and stuffed animals is a lot more fun than turning wrenches.

66sprint6 and JohnC like this

2 hours ago, Raceall said:

I have found that playing with Little People and stuffed animals is a lot more fun than turning wrenches.

I completely agree.  I've turned wrenches for about 26 years as a pro, and I'm pretty near burned out.  I've got 51 child years under my belt already, and that's still usually a lot more fun.

Fun moment yesterday: My 3 yo girl had dressed herself and was coming down the stairs with a big smile, wearing white tights under a white dress with star pattern print, white hair bow just looking so cute.....and a big purple pistol behind her back.  When I asked about it....she shot me.   That's muh girl!

Disney and 66sprint6 like this

The only problem I have (I use that phrase loosely.) is that Magnolia will tug on my pants leg and say, “Daddy, I want to ride in Cweam Corn!” or, “Daddy, let’s dwive Grean Bean!” I guess I do need to turn some wrenches.

66sprint6 likes this