Chad

Random thought thread

18,924 posts in this topic

I just bought a wood pellet smoker grill.  I've been wanting a smoker grill, of some sort, for a while.  Leah's uncle smoked some of the best barbecue I've ever eaten in his pellet grill, so I've been looking at those lately.  Does anybody else have a pellet grill?  Any recommendations on a brand of pellets?  Any out of this world recipes?

JohnC likes this

I have a Yoder ys640 pellet grill I bought dirt cheap off Craigslist from an angry wife last summer.  It’s great.  I had a weber smokey mountain previously and was never pleased with any of the food I cooked on it.  I’ve been happy with everything off the yoder. I’ve done chicken multiple ways, ribs, brisket a turkey yesterday.  My wife and daughter aren’t huge bbq fans, but they love ribs covered in brown sugar butter and bbq sauce.

Pellet grills don’t produce heavy smoke, so whatever wood you use is not very pronounced in the food (which I prefer).  I buy whatever is cheap,  usually  B&B competition blend at academy. $14 for 40lbs.  Lowes has some that are similarly priced.

Watch this channel for recipe ideas.  https://m.youtube.com/user/allthingsbbq

I have a Camp Chef 24" pellet grill. I also have a vertical smoker. The PG has replaced it totally. I haven't fire up the "smoker" in over a year now. It makes the best pork shoulder i've ever had. 

I bought some Pit Boss Mesquite style pellets at Wal-Mart yesterday evening.  That was a mistake.  I forgot it was Black Friday, but I got out with no cuts or bruises.  I'm going to do the initial cure burn today and try something easy (hamburgers) tonight.

I found a few good videos on Youtube and a website that looks promising.

On 11/25/2020 at 9:22 AM, Ashley P said:

A cure for Libertarians with low blood pressure: 

There are two sides to that coin.

1. They clearly made a mistake, but luckily nobody was hurt except the front door and that mans mental state after the Govt invaded his property. I'd say he'll never feel safe and trust law enforcement again. He should be compensated by that Sheriffs Dept. But IMHO the individual team members should not be sued as they're working on behalf of the Sheriffs Office via the tax payers. That said, I am against No Knock Warrants 100% for this reason.

2. If you allow LEO's to be personally and individually sued, you will create a system where cops are afraid to do their jobs because of the legal liabilities and criminals will be empowered. People, mostly criminals and their families, will be suing them for anything and everything. You got to make a choice here. Do you want criminals to be afraid of breaking the law and the consequences thereafter, or not? Because when you have violent criminals and then LEO's afraid to go after them for fear of lawsuits, you're going to have a more dangerous environment for the public.

Disney, Tino and mstrpth like this

You make valid points that I agree with.   BUT, let's take your point #2 and look at the flip side of it.  If LEOs cannot be personally sued, then maybe that gives them the "who cares" attitude and bad stuff happens more often on their watch.

That video gives me about ZERO faith in the system.  They got lost on the way there.  They're throwing flash bangs or whatever about the same time they are asking "which house?"  It's like they're retarded or something.  What kind of "mission prep" left them ignorant on which door to kick down and which doors to leave alone?  Dang, I often look at street view to see the new place I'm going and I'm not planning to lock and load when I get there.  The person/people who assembled and led that retarded group might should be personally sued.

They were clowns. But we can’t punish everyone collectively for what one doofus team got wrong.

You start suing cops personally and law enforcement will be no more than a door greeter at Walmart in no time.

But the criminals knowing that, will get more emboldened because they’ll know the cops are weak and too scared to do anything to stop them while in the act. 

Ashley P likes this

6 hours ago, Ashley P said:

You make valid points that I agree with.   BUT, let's take your point #2 and look at the flip side of it.  If LEOs cannot be personally sued, then maybe that gives them the "who cares" attitude and bad stuff happens more often on their watch.

That video gives me about ZERO faith in the system.  They got lost on the way there.  They're throwing flash bangs or whatever about the same time they are asking "which house?"  It's like they're retarded or something.  What kind of "mission prep" left them ignorant on which door to kick down and which doors to leave alone?  Dang, I often look at street view to see the new place I'm going and I'm not planning to lock and load when I get there.  The person/people who assembled and led that retarded group might should be personally sued.

They aren't immune to repercussions. They can lose their job. And possibly never work in law enforcement ever again. I agree that individual LOE should not be able to be sued, but the department at large should not be immune. 

Ashley P likes this

I used the pellet smoker grill last night.  I thought I would start out with something easy, like hamburgers.  So I liberally sprinkled some of my "Slap Your Mama" seasoning on each side of the patties and put them in the refrigerator for a few hours.   I turned the temperature all the way up on the smoker grill and let it run about 15 minutes.  Once it was up around 400 degrees, I put the burgers on.  Smoke was rolling out of the stack.  I like to flip hamburgers several times, about every 4-5 minutes, until done.  When I opened the grill to do so, smoke would billow out.  I cut a burger in half to see how it looked and you could see a distinct smoke ring.  I have to say they turned out great.  I just put a slice of cheese on mine and it was among the best hamburgers I've ever eaten.

Disney likes this

15 hours ago, Disney said:

Never thought i'd want another crotch rocket, but that review made me want to give it a shot!

same here. I'm still gonna wait until my kids are older though

On 5/5/2020 at 9:38 PM, Ashley P said:

Tino, when we doing this?   I picture a bobsled on wheels blowing their doors helmets off!  And NO humping motions, either.

Tino, remember this? ^  

Well, for the last two weeks we hosted a family from Ecuador who are missionaries in Mexico now, but had led a Spanish speaking church here.  To keep the kids active, I took two plastic spools, some PVC for axles, a 2x4, and a piece of plywood and I built a coaster for a little hill here in the pasture.  After the kids had a blast on it, the mother brought up this next video and said that's in her hometown, Ambato.  She said it's a big deal, and dangerous...with spectators getting broken legs.  She pointed out several sites, including the "football" stadium at 10:36. 

She and her husband were trying to get us to visit them in Mexico, but I don't even want to go to the local town.  However, maybe if they'll promise me a cart and a helmet I'll visit them in Ecuador. :) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXQqJQWe7g8&feature=emb_rel_pause

Tino and mstrpth like this

On 11/30/2020 at 3:41 PM, Disney said:

Never thought i'd want another crotch rocket, but that review made me want to give it a shot!

That Fireblade triple R SP is a bad mofo. :yes: 

Class rules said they had to build them to be able to race. There isn't enough of them to supply every dealership one bike. But they're out there. I found 3 nearby in TN (closest was in Crossville I think it was). That was about 2 months ago though. 

It's a cool color in the sunlight, but I'd probably tire of it.  Am I the only person who doesn't like the "Widebody" (I call 'em fender flares) look?

66sprint6 likes this

4 hours ago, Kevin said:

It's a cool color in the sunlight, but I'd probably tire of it.  Am I the only person who doesn't like the "Widebody" (I call 'em fender flares) look?

I agree its such a good looking car without them for sure.

Matt