Chad

Random thought thread

18,777 posts in this topic

On 6/5/2020 at 2:15 PM, Ashley P said:

How do you guys sharpen your blades?    My cheap knife takes some abuse, and this cheap sharpener is all I've been using lately to keep it operational.

I used to use a tool that had a long stone on a guide rod that then went into a hole on a stand that allowed you to keep a uniform angle but eventually started going old school with a stone and after a little work have come to really like the stones.  I was having issued sharpening little blades and big kitchen blades on the other rig setup and with a stone I can do it all.

Setting an inital edge takes the longest time but after that, maintenance sharpening and fixing damage takes no time at all.

Matt

As far as sharpening, I'm really interested in sharpness vs time invested.  I give my knife several pulls on the course side, then several on the fine and I'm (barely) cutting paper with it.  Totally time is < 2 minutes.  I try to sharpen every few weeks so I'm not too far behind.

How much time does the tri stone method take?  I bet you guys are getting a sharper blade than I, but with the way I use my knife I think it might be wasted time/sharpness.

1 hour ago, Ashley P said:

As far as sharpening, I'm really interested in sharpness vs time invested.  I give my knife several pulls on the course side, then several on the fine and I'm (barely) cutting paper with it.  Totally time is < 2 minutes.  I try to sharpen every few weeks so I'm not too far behind.

How much time does the tri stone method take?  I bet you guys are getting a sharper blade than I, but with the way I use my knife I think it might be wasted time/sharpness.

Depends on the hardness of the blade honestly.  If its a super hard blade, it will hold an edge longer BUT itll take me longer to get it sharp especially if Im resetting the angle etc.  Nice thing is itll hold longer AND my maintenance takes much less time.  Sometimes a simple stropping will bring the edge back and thats a whole 2 minutes at best.  Some of these stainless pocket knives sharped up super quick but dont hold an edge as long so I have to maintain it more often.  I can shave with a knife by the time Im done but honestly I dont like them that sharp as the edge wears out super quick.  I get them to slicing paper sharp now and leave it at that.  Setting a new edge on a knife (if I dont like the factory or current edge) can take a while. sometimes up to 15 minutes but maintenance rarely takes more than a couple minutes.  Im not slicing tomatoes razor thin, Im cutting open boxes, rope, hose, wire etc so Im not as anal about getting things spot on perfect.  It takes time to get the hang of it tho I will say that and can be frustrating as hell early on but once you get it down its very rewarding and the results are much much better than the pull through sharpeners can offer.  If you can get your knife sharp enough for what you do with a pull through then keep at it but I enjoy sitting down from time to time and bringing my blades back to life on the stones and strop.

Matt

mstrpth and Ashley P like this

i'll spend about 30min - hour on mine. But when I stop to do it, I do all the kitchen knives as well. a single blade maybe 5 min. I don't get mine shaving sharp but I make sure it can cut paper without catching. With that level of sharpness, I can use it for weeks while cutting boxes, ropes, wire etc. and it still hold an edge.

66sprint6 likes this

A buddy and I were talking about a fire at Gateway that we watched, he said he shut off his video camera when it seemed like he was filming a death.  I told him I'd seen it on Spike TV years ago, today it's here:

On 6/2/2020 at 7:29 AM, JohnC said:

A $300 pocketknife?  I never knew such an animal existed.  I feel bad paying 1/10 of that for a knife.  I have a few good ones, but sentimental value doesn't let me carry them.  I usually carry my 15 year service award Case lock blade or a Leatherman that I bought with a Bass Pro Shop gift card plus $20.  I got home and found it on Amazon/Ebay for $22.  :lol:

66sprint6 and Ashley P like this

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

A $300 pocketknife?  I never knew such an animal existed.  I feel bad paying 1/10 of that for a knife.  I have a few good ones, but sentimental value doesn't let me carry them.  I usually carry my 15 year service award Case lock blade or a Leatherman that I bought with a Bass Pro Shop gift card plus $20.  I got home and found it on Amazon/Ebay for $22.  :lol:

It's a rescue knife.

It's full auto (cutter and knife blade are auto.

Has a glass breaker, too. :yes: 

Non-auto version: https://www.benchmade.com/triage-family.html

Auto: https://www.benchmade.com/auto-triage-family.html

They're professional (Fire/Rescue, Police, Military, etc.) grade Benchmade knives.

If anyone comes across an llt for a v6 camaro let me know. My brother in laws has a rod knock now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Kevin said:

yeah! Me neither!!! lol

66sprint6 likes this

We’re having issues with the forum through browsers like Google, but Tapatalk still works.

We’re working to resolve it now.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got in touch with our host, GoDaddy.

We’re having them resolve the issue, but it’s going to take about 9 more days to move the entire forum to a new server.

Once we’re moved, I’ll complete the forum update to the latest version.

Thanks for your patience, everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cody likes this

We’re back up and running now.

Some asshat hacker had tried to inject malicious code in to our forum, but failed.

As a result, it screwed up the site and broke it.

About $500 in security upgrades, and we’re back.

Site has been cleaned professionally of all malware. 

We still got to update the forum, move to the new server and then connect to it and our new https.

The aforementioned issue held us up from getting all that done. 

mstrpth and Ashley P like this

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Just a fyi... Wife is getting close to having our baby. July 9th might be the day! :hyper: 

Life is about to be 100x better. you won't realize it at first, but it'll come.

66sprint6 and JohnC like this

On 7/6/2020 at 9:02 AM, mstrpth said:

Life is about to be 100x better. you won't realize it at first, but it'll come.

Yeah, I can't wait.

Already considering a 4 door (Raptor) family hauler. :yes:

Tino likes this

On 7/4/2020 at 5:48 PM, KNIGHT347 said:

Wondered what the hell was wrong with SnT there for a bit.

I kinda thought John mighta put a supercharger on SnT and it would be a couple years before it was back up and running as good as before!  :duck::D   

JohnC, I'm glad it's back, thanks for your work on it.  And best wishes for lots of diaper changes soon!  And I've got about 51 kid years of parenting experience if you need to know how not to do something. lol