Chad

Random thought thread

18,552 posts in this topic

Not mine, Dad's. 

Budget frame off resto with a few modifications. 

Just the basics, full sheetmetal by AMD, paint, power front discs, Edelbrock topped SBC, new full body harness, Dakota cluster and probably a few other things.

"Budget frame off"....I've never read those words in that order.  lol

I'm curious as to what metal, price, and quality.  Some day I might want a few GTO hoods and fenders...two nights ago I found a box of Judge decals.  I think I bought those in 

98.  And some people think 3+ years on a house remodel is a long time. lol   :embarrassed:

Posted (edited)

:lol:

It didn't have a lot of rust spots but the locations were bad spots and he decided he didn't want patch panels.  I think the only stock sheet metal left is the firewall, dash, and cowl, though most of the removable stuff is in storage with the exception of a couple of pieces that were too far gone.

All the sheet metal work was done by AMD in Ga with AMD panels.  I will say the AMD stuff seems to be nicely made but the driver door didn't fit right.  The body guy ordered another door and it didn't fit right either so he found a good factory door somewhere.

I think this is going on 3 years now and he has spent a chunk of my inheritance. :roflmao:

Edited by Cannon Fodder
Ashley P likes this

Aftermarket scares me.  I had rot around the rear wheels and the only option was an aftermarket quarter panel.  They were so much thinner and the body line was much less defined, I cut them up and only used the area around the wheel opening.

On the other hand, my brother was fixing his Chevelle at the time and found a NOS quarter.  It was actually a full quarter and fit like a glove.

What intake manifold is this? I can't find it anywhere on the internet. 

It was on a 1998 mustang cobra. 

20200109_204054.jpg

Unless it's a coyote intake with adapter plates to fit the 4.6

23 hours ago, Disney said:

We can't keep living in the 70s.

Speak for yourself. Over.

Sent from my CB radio

Edited by Ashley P

16 hours ago, Tino said:

20200109_204054.jpg

FRPP Cobra Jet.

Tino and JohnC like this

17 hours ago, Tino said:

20200109_204054.jpg

You buy the car?

96-98 Cobra had dual port heads with imrc's.

livernois5-jpg.1158888

03-04 cobra heads

GT%20heads.jpg

To run that intake, I'd assume at the least it is head swapped. 

Might be a full motor swap as well.

Tino likes this

I got outbid. 

Car sounded good.

Auctioneer said that the car was abandoned at the Nashville airport. Owner never came back to pick it up.

It sold for 4k. 2500 was my max bid. I was trying to buy it so I could flip it

Ashley P and JohnC like this

On 1/9/2020 at 9:21 AM, Ashley P said:

Aftermarket scares me.  I had rot around the rear wheels and the only option was an aftermarket quarter panel.  They were so much thinner and the body line was much less defined, I cut them up and only used the area around the wheel opening.

On the other hand, my brother was fixing his Chevelle at the time and found a NOS quarter.  It was actually a full quarter and fit like a glove.

Gives you an idea of the work:

snip.PNG

Ashley P likes this

35 minutes ago, Cannon Fodder said:

Gives you an idea of the work:

snip.PNG

Yikes.

I'd like to have that skill (without the time and effort to acquire it).

Ha, for that matter I'd like to have my cars fixed to that degree without the time and effort required! 

On 1/14/2020 at 3:49 PM, Ashley P said:

I've actualkly used that at work. Was testing some parts where the paint was being peeled off at a certain car wash in Ft. Worth, TX. Travelled there, put this film on the car and spent 3 days running it through the car wash measuring the relative pressure seen at the vehicle. Pretty neat stuff!

On 1/17/2020 at 9:20 AM, Disney said:

I've actualkly used that at work. Was testing some parts where the paint was being peeled off at a certain car wash in Ft. Worth, TX. Travelled there, put this film on the car and spent 3 days running it through the car wash measuring the relative pressure seen at the vehicle. Pretty neat stuff!

Well, what was the verdict?

Worked fine. Since the water jet wasn't a pinpoint contact it would spread the pressure across a small area. It would still provide a resultant reading, but it was open to misinterpretation. Ultimately, that's what we ran into. The people who design the running board paint and such attempted to use the test against "us". It took some in depth logic and factual accounting to bring them around to my initial assessment; the paint is peeling off due to poor adhesion. 

Ashley P likes this