Chad

Random thought thread

17,823 posts in this topic

I've heard of NO injuries.  The church about 500' from that pic had about 30 preschoolers, no injuries (after one roof was removed).  Power crews are still working on downed lines, I just drove some kids around the block to try to see the touchdown area, but I turned around before getting into the way of those crews.  Several homes were severely damaged, but there could easily have been MANY more.

It's path was a across the fields where I rode horses as a kid and is about 1 mile behind my mom's house.   Estimating it's beginning and end results in about 16 miles

It was a load off my mind to know my family was in  our BASEMENT (even though slacker daddy hasn't finished it...yet).

Edited by Ashley P
Mike, Disney and 66sprint6 like this

Good to hear.  Ha nice, I would love a basement (unfinished or not).  Shoot...I negotiated on the new house to have the previous ownered remove this giant storm shelter that was very inconveniently taking up an odd space in the garage and not two days into moving in a REALLY bad storm rolled through and as we huddled in the tiny cramped hall closet thats mostly taken up by the HVAC ducting I kicked myself for it.

Matt

Ashley P likes this

This "town" is where I went to church for many years, and the tornado near the beginning of the vid is tearing up the local cemetery and neighbor's barn (destroyed) .  Notice the multi votex and possibly Rear Inflow Jet (ghost train) following it near the end of the vid.

66sprint6 likes this

56 minutes ago, 66sprint6 said:

Good to hear.  Ha nice, I would love a basement (unfinished or not).  Shoot...I negotiated on the new house to have the previous ownered remove this giant storm shelter that was very inconveniently taking up an odd space in the garage and not two days into moving in a REALLY bad storm rolled through and as we huddled in the tiny cramped hall closet thats mostly taken up by the HVAC ducting I kicked myself for it.

Matt

My boss has a shelter in his garage.  It's just not very convenient at a moment's notice.  Better than nothing, but the last storm (that ate my Goat) he and family were too late to get to it.  I'd rather have a hole UNDER the closet.  

66sprint6 likes this

The other nearly identical house we tried to buy had a pit in the garage.  I was all about it for oil changes and such but it was in a bad spot and a pain in the ass to open up and get into and required opening the garage door to get into which I wasn't keen on.  I'm with you, would love a basement or even just a small room dug under the house somewhere easy to get to quickly.

Matt

^

1 hour ago, mstrpth said:

There's a lot going on in this picture.

For SURE.  And it leaves out the driving winds and monsoon rains when rescuers were attempting to help.

Oh, I might add, that grain bin flew INTO the wind.  Not sure if that truck was on the road or parked near the bin and was thrown into the bin which damaged the structure and caused it to buckle and come off it's foundation.

Edited by Ashley P

A coworker lives just past our church, and had his wife drive by it.  She reported back that we may need to repair some of the plastic playground "equipment" that were laying on their sides.  I laughed and told him that that was their normal position. LOL

66sprint6, Ashley P and Disney like this

I took my two oldest boys to a man's house to help clean up some downed pine trees.  He told me about this storm and also one from 40 years ago in which he saw what he thought was a flock of blackbirds moving in unison, only to realize shortly later it was a tornado with some debris.  Then he tells me about his friend that lives near the big creek (100' wide, scuds of wildlife) where this tornado touched down...

Said man has a morning ritual of walking out to that creek and climbing into a blind that's about 10' tall where he drinks his coffee, reads his Bible, and shoots coyotes.  (If I can only attain that level of...whatever...someday. :) )  Guess where he was when that tornado touched down a couple days ago?  So he's sitting in his blind when he noticed some buzzards circling...lots of them....but, they....they aren't buzzards.  TORNADO!   It passed about 100 yards from him, with the blind shaking in the wind even though it's posts are 6' deep in the ground to keep it anchored in the flood plain.  He said it happened so fast he didn't have time to be scared!

I dunno, I bet my RT would allow plenty of fear...

66sprint6 likes this