Chad

Random thought thread

17,220 posts in this topic

On 6/15/2018 at 7:30 PM, Cannon Fodder said:

Anyone got an opinion on a code scanner?  I think it is just time I invest in one.

is this because of the Mustang or something else??? If its Ford Related get an ELM327 unit and ForScan

but in general I got one of the Zurich units from Harbor Freight and its been good.

Truck, CEL popped on because of the gas cap popping off again, it finally cleared after leaving work today.

Still need one for some OBD-II stuff and a couple OBD-I, GM, Ford and Honda at the moment, was looking at the Bosch 1300.  Seen some positive reviews of a few Autel units but they have to be ordered.

On 6/15/2018 at 6:05 PM, Ashley P said:

Man!  She's gonna need multiple Russian road cameras at this rate!  lol  

And since she's gonna have to learn how to pick on folks much better than her, here's a primer for her...

@Ashley P Yeah we are definitely looking at dash cams now.

Sad that we have to worry about something like that, but hey they will come in handy,.

Heck I could have used one the other day, I was coming down the right lane and slowing down because the left lane was blocked and people were moving into the middle lane.

I was speeding prior to traffic and was slowing to cautiously drive past in the right lane. Well some girl in a new Sentra was not paying attention and I was going about 60mph and she was at a dead stop then decided to dart out in front of me. I managed to brake and get the car around her to the right on the shoulder just barely staying on the road. As I passed her she put her arm up as if to wave and say "Ohh sorry".

As much as I want to get a newer truck, I am not sure I want to accomplish this via traffic accident.

Ashley P likes this

I bought 2 GoPro's after a guy tried to run me off the road 3 times on my way to work.

If there is a next time, that **** will be recorded in HD at 1080p 60fps. :yes:

I mount one on the front window and have it on wide angle.

The other I mount to the sun roof and zoom it in on the back window.

I don't monnt it on the back window because I don't screw up the tint on the rear window.

I think I'm going to get 2 more to mount for side views.

But that incident, a front facing camera on wide angle would have got the whole episode.

ls1adam84 likes this

Why are bicycle tires about 100x more expensive per pound than a car tire??  I need some kids 20' tires, they're about $15 each. 

ls1adam84 likes this

^ I'm sorry. 

(That you watched that crap!  lol)

And moving to random:   Fred Dibnah on youtube.   Mechanical Engineer who to climbed brick chimneys to fund his hobby of restoring steam engines.   No safety stuff to get in his way...

Tino likes this

^ A local club raises money with the "antique gas and steam engine show"....well, lately it's become steam-free. :(   Don't know if it was city regulations or just the breed dying out.

I'd like to skip steam and run a Stirling engine in the house/shop.

I think the boilers are the biggest problem, a little dangerous to build/test/run.  I don't think many places sell boiler kits or assembled boilers, I don't even want to think about large size boilers.

Yeah, that's why I want Stirling.  In the winter I'd love to use a wood fire to run a Stirling generator to make some of my electrical power.  All waste heat would heat the house/shop and water.   I put a few extra holes in my basement wall in case I ever get far enough ahead to tackle that. 

1 hour ago, Ashley P said:

Yeah, that's why I want Stirling.  In the winter I'd love to use a wood fire to run a Stirling generator to make some of my electrical power.  All waste heat would heat the house/shop and water.   I put a few extra holes in my basement wall in case I ever get far enough ahead to tackle that. 

Is there really any waste heat? 

Wasted heat from a Stirling?  I'm not sure of their efficiency, and maybe I worded it backward:  maybe I'd heat the house/shop with wood and use waste heat for the Stirling.

^ But Stirling is way on down the road.  Since I'm water coupled heat pump now it will be more of an immediate payoff to use my waste water as either a "pre-cooler" to my inlet air or as preheated water for the water heater.  I'm about to put some pipes from the basement to the attic for future solar water preheat.

Disney likes this

On 6/28/2018 at 9:36 PM, Ashley P said:

^ I'm sorry. 

(That you watched that crap!  lol)

And moving to random:   Fred Dibnah on youtube.   Mechanical Engineer who to climbed brick chimneys to fund his hobby of restoring steam engines.   No safety stuff to get in his way...

Crap? You mean the only worldwide sport that is one of the most difficult to play?

So he restores an old inefficient technology? I should start restoring 286 computers then, that would be a perfectly fun waste of time. 

:w00t::stirpot::ohsnap:

Tino likes this

On 6/30/2018 at 3:45 PM, ls1adam84 said:

Crap? You mean the only worldwide sport that is...second only to golf as the hardest "sport" to sit and watch?

^ Fixola!

66sprint6 likes this

12 minutes ago, Ashley P said:

^ Fixola!

It's just perspective. If you understood the game, you'd be on the edge or your seat. But since there aren't any horseshoes or shotguns, you're lost on the whole thing.

Tino and ls1adam84 like this

15 minutes ago, Disney said:

It's just perspective. If you understood the game, you'd be on the edge or your seat. But since there aren't any horseshoes or shotguns, you're lost on the whole thing.

9 minutes ago, Tino said:

Mexico vs Brazil in 2 mins :rocks:

I may not know the game, but if you can promise me it'll only take 2 minutes I'll try to watch it all.  :D   

Disney, Tino and 66sprint6 like this