Chad

Random thought thread

17,212 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, Ashley P said:

^ 4 cylinder Mustangs??  Or old Chevy guys scared to WOT??

I saw an old chevy guy driving a truck (like the Farmtruck from STREET OUTLAWS) running low 8s

I wanted to go today but it was my nephews bday and we spent the afternoon with him.  I need to get out there and see this quick 5th gen.  There's been a couple ZL1s out there running similar times blowing the tires off and burning up the clutch (a black and a grey one).  There's no excuse for any Coyote powered car to not be able to break out of the 9s even on a garbage track!!!!  Same for an 6.2 litercola chebbies

Matt

first time I've had to pull a wheel and inner fender just to change the belt. you can't even see the thing from up top. always assume something's going to cost twice as much and take twice as long as you plan for. And yes, it's dirty....it's my wifes. 

belt.jpg

JohnC likes this

20 hours ago, Tino said:

I didn't have the right gear to run it :doh:

But I did see 3 more 2015+ mustangs that could not get out of the 9s.

And I saw a 5th gen camaro same color as John's running high 7s low 8s

I didn't ask him to see what was done to it.

Driver makes all the difference.

I imagine the one running high 7's low 8's might be a bolt-ons car. Could just be a good converter and gears in it too. I know I did that to my Z28 and I dropped from an 8.8 with 2.73 gears to an 8.4 with 3.42 gears, then an 8.1 with a 3k stall converter with a 2.2 str.

Tino and 66sprint6 like this

4 minutes ago, ls1adam84 said:

I imagine the one running high 7's low 8's might be a bolt-ons car. Could just be a good converter and gears in it too. I know I did that to my Z28 and I dropped from an 8.8 with 2.73 gears to an 8.4 with 3.42 gears, then an 8.1 with a 3k stall converter with a 2.2 str.

8.0X w/2.41s.  What was your torqueless problem?  :) 

ls1adam84 likes this

It would have to be a bolt on/tune/tire good driver (combo of any or all) car at the Hill.  That track chews up decent power cars on street tires with lousy drivers and spits them into the 9's without breaking a sweat.  I believe that if JohnC took his pile to the Hill tonight on some drag radials and its current mods it would run low low low 8's without breaking a sweat and would run 7's if he ever got the tune sorted out! OH and I lied, I DID run a 9 and even a 10 once out there (was looking at some slips the other day) in the GT when I was having issues with the clutch protection and was limp wristing some less than fresh, handmade shifts.  

Matt

ls1adam84 likes this

9 minutes ago, 66sprint6 said:

It would have to be a bolt on/tune/tire good driver (combo of any or all) car at the Hill.  That track chews up decent power cars on street tires with lousy drivers and spits them into the 9's without breaking a sweat.  I believe that if JohnC took his pile to the Hill tonight on some drag radials and its current mods it would run low low low 8's without breaking a sweat and would run 7's if he ever got the tune sorted out! OH and I lied, I DID run a 9 and even a 10 once out there (was looking at some slips the other day) in the GT when I was having issues with the clutch protection and was limp wristing some less than fresh, handmade shifts.  

Matt

Is it just not prepped? I imagine they do a lot of grudge racing there then?

19 hours ago, Ashley P said:

So what's up with the minibike gearing?   Did you forget and leave the salt flats gears in it?? :) 

It does 55 now. It's hard to keep the front wheel on the ground. 

8 minutes ago, ls1adam84 said:

Is it just not prepped? I imagine they do a lot of grudge racing there then?

There was a hellcat out there on street tires. He white smoked them from start to finish. 

66sprint6 and ls1adam84 like this

2 hours ago, ls1adam84 said:

8.0X at like 74mph though right? Hahaha.

Best on 2.41s was 90.  Q jet baby!  

8.0s @ 74 is chevy stuff with  5.13 gears and 250hp/200torques!   lol

Edited by Ashley P
Tino likes this

Honestly, its not a street tire friendly track.  Slicks and auto radial cars get down it really well tho.  I was having issues on those Nitto drag radials but on the stupid concrete bridge down the mountain from the track it would dead hook and come out of the hole like a bat outta hell with very minimal tire spin and a drop clutch launch.  The Hill makes you earn it lol

Matt

ls1adam84 likes this

My friend went yesterday and said it was the worst he's ever seen it.  Which is saying something, because the hill is consistently awful.  They do zero track prep for test and tunes, unless you count sweeping the track as "prep".  It's even worse because all the rain, snow and ice have pulled most of the rubber and compound off the track from last year.

This time last year my car would spin on radials going through the traps.  It hooked fine on the street at the same speed.  I will never understand how a concrete track can be worse than pavement.

66sprint6, JohnC and ls1adam84 like this

Damn.  Nice cool air, perfect for setting some PB's but nooooooooooooooooooooo.  Who owns a track...and doesnt prep the damned thing?  Even just a little will do.  I know us street tire guys are hard on it but still.

Matt

14 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:

Honestly, its not a street tire friendly track.  Slicks and auto radial cars get down it really well tho.  I was having issues on those Nitto drag radials but on the stupid concrete bridge down the mountain from the track it would dead hook and come out of the hole like a bat outta hell with very minimal tire spin and a drop clutch launch.  The Hill makes you earn it lol

Matt

555r Nitto's? 

Those are an interesting tire too, you really have to minimize the amount of burnouts on them otherwise they get really greasy. I found a quick 1 second burnout to spin the dirt off worked great on them.

Yeah i kind of like tracks like that as they really get you to learn the vehicle you're driving. 

Even though my old car was an auto I was still dead on and could tell what it was going to run as soon as I launched it.

I have over 200 passes at Irwindale and Fontana, and you get to know how a car reacts to certain variables.

If a track makes you work up front, it helps you in the long run. I kinda want to get out to the hill once I do get the new car.

Ashley, I don't know about all that, torque is a Pontiac thing and them old chief cars are slow as molases in the winter.

Yeah.  They are too short for this car and force an extra shift at the traps on me and a pain to hook being a manual car.  They help keep the 1-2 spinning to a minimum but I lose any advantage there at the end with the extra shift and out of the hole with only marginally better short times that on street tires.  If they were 28" tall I would run them all the time and just whittle down the short times to find the happy medium between a good 60 and snapped half shafts.  A 28" slick or some Bias ply radials would make me happy happy happy out there, but then again that 7.95 on all seasons was hard earned and my favorite run to date.  I need to sell the Nittos to someone with an auto car and find some taller bias plys.

Matt

14 hours ago, Mike said:

I will never understand how a concrete track can be worse than pavement.

Same here. It's always baffled me how terrible the Hill can be. I can leave the starting line from idle and spin for 300' Then go to the back of the parking lot (pits) and dead hook a 6500 launch. In the gravel. On snow.

66sprint6, Tino and JohnC like this

SO TRUE.  Hell, even the old parking lot which was just shy of being a gravel road again hooked better.  Maybe I shoulda left all that grit on the tires rather than cleaning it off with a quick spin before each run :lol:

Matt

I'm also amazed at how any track can be "slicker" than a common road.  The only time I got my dad to the track he made a pass in his GTO and got back to the pits aggravated..."this is STUPID" he said about spinning in second gear.  On the street it would hook in first unless you abused the clutch.

66sprint6 likes this