Chad

Random thought thread

17,206 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I've driven well over 100 miles now. With multiple shut downs and restarts.

What I've found is that it is useless to turn it off and right back on. For it to do it's thing, It wants a complete cool down and a cold start with a good drive afterwards, and then repeat.

Description

The purpose of the Inspection/Maintenance Complete System Set Procedure is to satisfy the enable criteria necessary to execute all of the I/M readiness diagnostics and complete the drive cycles for those particular diagnostics. When all I/M monitored diagnostic tests are completed, the I/M System Status indicators are set to YES. Perform the Inspection/Maintenance Complete System Set Procedure if any I/M System Status indicators are set to NO.

Inspection/Maintenance Data List

To determine if the inspection/maintenance readiness diagnostic tests can be run this ignition cycle, use a scan tool to observe the inspection/maintenance monitor enabled parameters in the inspection/maintenance Data List.

Conditions for Meeting a Cold Start

*  The ignition voltage between 11-18 volts.

*  The barometric pressure is more than 75 kPa.

*  The start-up engine coolant temperature is between 4-30°C (39-86°F).

*  The start-up intake air temperature is between 4-30°C (39-86°F).

*  The difference between the IAT and the ECT is less than or equal to 6°C (10.8°F).

*  The ambient air temperature is between 4-30°C (39-86°F).

*  The fuel level is between 15-85 percent.

Circuit/System Verification

Review the inspection/maintenance system status indicators with a scan tool. All I/M system status indicators should report YES, and no I/M Test DTCs should be present.

Inspection/Maintenance System Set Procedure

Note:
Whenever the ignition is turned ON, ignition positive voltage is supplied to the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) heaters. After verifying the enable criteria, turn OFF the ignition for approximately 5 minutes to allow the sensors to cool before continuing with the test. Once the engine is started, do NOT turn the engine OFF for the remaining portion of the set procedure.

1. Ensure that the vehicle meets the conditions for a cold start listed above.

2. The evaporative emission inspection/maintenance system status indicator should display YES.

♦   If the inspection/maintenance system status indicator displays NO, perform the Service Bay Test, if applicable. If the Service Bay Test is NOT available, it may take up to 6 drive cycles, with up to 17 hours between drive cycles, for the inspection/maintenance system status indicator to transition to YES.

3. The O2S Heater inspection/maintenance system status indicator should display YES.

♦   If the O2S Heater inspection/maintenance system status indicator displays NO, ensure that the ignition has been turned OFF for at least 10 hours.

4. Turn OFF all accessories; HVAC system, other electrical loads, including aftermarket/add-on equipment, etc.

5. Set the vehicle parking brake and ensure the vehicle is in Park for automatic transmission or Neutral for manual transmission.

6. Turn OFF all accessories; HVAC system, other electrical loads, including aftermarket/add-on equipment, etc.

7. Start and idle the engine for at least 2 minutes and until 65°C (149°F) is achieved.

8. Run the engine for 6.5 minutes within the following conditions:

*  MAF parameter between 4-30 g/s

*  Engine speed steady between 1,000-3,000 RPM

9. Return the engine to idle for 1 minute.

10. Apply and hold the brake pedal, and shift to Drive for automatic transmission, or apply the clutch pedal for manual transmission and operate the vehicle within the following conditions for 2 minutes:

*  Depress the accelerator pedal until throttle position sensor angle is more than 2 percent.

*  Mass air flow signal between 15-30 g/s

*  RPM steady between 1,200-2,000 RPM

Note:
DO NOT touch the accelerator pedal during the idle period. A change in throttle position sensor angle or an increase in engine speed may invalidate this portion of the test.

11. Release the accelerator pedal and shift the vehicle to Park for automatic transmission, or Neutral and release the clutch pedal for manual transmission, and allow the engine to idle for 2 minutes.

12. Quickly depress the accelerator pedal until throttle position sensor angle is more than 8 percent and return to idle, repeat 3 times.

13. Allow engine to idle for at least 2 minutes.

Warning:
Refer to Road Test Warning See: Vehicle > Technician Safety Information > Road Test Warning.

14. Release the parking brake and drive vehicle at 24 km/h (15 mph) or slower for 2 minutes.

15. Continue to drive the vehicle for at least 5.5 miles between 45-112 km/h (28-70 mph) with the vehicle reaching at least 80 km/h (50 mph).

16. Release the accelerator pedal for at least 2 seconds. This will allow the vehicle to enter decel fuel cut-off.

17. Depress the accelerator pedal until the throttle position sensor angle is increased 3-20 percent and maintain a safe speed for 1 minute.

18. Safely stop the vehicle, with the engine in Drive for automatic transmission or in Neutral with the clutch pedal depressed and parking brake applied for manual transmission, idle for 2 minutes.

19. Shift to Park for automatic and apply the parking brake, or neutral and release clutch pedal for manual.

Note:
Do NOT disturb the vehicle or turn ON the ignition until told to do so. Disturbing the vehicle may invalidate this portion of the test.

20. Turn OFF the ignition and exit the vehicle. Do NOT disturb the vehicle for 60 minutes.

21. Observe the Inspection/Maintenance System Status with a scan tool. All of the Inspection/Maintenance System Status indicators should display YES.

♦   If the evaporative emission Inspection/Maintenance System Status indicator displays NO, turn OFF the ignition for 17 hours, ensure that the vehicle meets the conditions for a cold start, and repeat steps 12-18 six more times, or until the evaporative emission Inspection/Maintenance System Status indicator transitions to YES. If the indicator continues to display NO, refer to the Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) System DTC Table See: Computers and Control Systems > Monitors, Trips, Drive Cycles and Readiness Codes > Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) System DTC Table to identify the DTCs that did not run. Follow the Conditions for Running the DTC in order to set the evaporative emission Inspection/Maintenance System Status indicator

♦   If any of the Inspection/Maintenance System Status display NO, refer to the Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) System DTC Table See: Computers and Control Systems > Monitors, Trips, Drive Cycles and Readiness Codes > Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) System DTC Table for the indicator which did not display YES. The Inspection/Maintenance System DTC Table identifies the DTCs associated with each Inspection/Maintenance System Status Indicator. Follow the Conditions for Running the DTC in order to set the associated status indicator.

Note:
An I/M Test DTC will not be stored or erased from the ECU except at the end of trip processing which occurs 5 s after ignition OFF.

22. Observe the I/M Test DTC information with a scan tool. Verify there are no I/M Test DTCs present.

♦   If an I/M Test DTC is set, diagnose the DTC using the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Diagnostic Trouble Code Descriptions > Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle and refer to Inspection/Maintenance System Check See: Computers and Control Systems > Monitors, Trips, Drive Cycles and Readiness Codes > Inspection/Maintenance System Check for clearing I/M Test DTCs.

♦   If an I/M Test DTC is set and the I/M System Status indicators are NO, diagnosis the DTC and perform the Inspection/Maintenance Complete System Set Procedure.

23. Observe the engine DTC information with a scan tool. Verify no DTCs are present.

♦   If a DTC is set, diagnose using the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Diagnostic Trouble Code Descriptions > Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle. After repairs, perform the Inspection/Maintenance Complete System Set Procedure to verify no further DTCs are set.

Well, not sure WTF is up here.... But this happened...

DTC_info.jpg

Freeze frame:

Freeze Frame: 0
DTC: U0073 - Control Module Communication Bus A Off
Fuel System Status: 01 01
Calculated Engine Load: 46.2745098039216 %
Engine Coolant Temp: 19 °C
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1: -9.375 %
Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 1: -1.5625 %
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 2: -9.375 %
Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 2: -1.5625 %
Fuel Pressure: 399.000416189354 kPa
Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure: 46 kPa
Engine RPM: 835 rpm
Vehicle Speed: 0 km/h
Timing Advance: -1 °
Intake Air Temp: 10 °C
Mass Airflow: 17 g/s
Throttle Position: 23.921568627451 %
Run Time Since Engine Start: 23 s
Commanded EVAP Purge: 0 %
Fuel Level Input: 100 %
Warmups Since MIL Clear: 4
Distance Since MIL Clear: 149 km
EVAP System Vapor Pressure: 16217 kPa
Barometric Pressure: 100 kPa
Catalyst Temp B1S1: 98 °C
Catalyst Temp B2S1: 98 °C
Control Module Voltage: 14 V
Absolute Load: 32.9411764705882 %
Commanded EQ Ratio: 0
Relative Throttle Position: 11.3725490196078 %
Ambient Air Temp: 10 °C
Absolute Throttle Position B: 23.921568627451 %
Accelerator Position D: 20 %
Accelerator Position E: 9.41176470588235 %
Commanded Throttle Actuator: 16.078431372549 %

I wiggled the OBD2 connector and it acted like it had a loose wire. Stabiltrak kept lighting up then all the lights lit up in the dash like when you first turn it to battery with motor off.

I swear to god if this thing has a wiring problem, I’m going to sell all the mods and trade the car for something else.

:wall::livid:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Can you find all the TSB's on the 2010 Camaro SS for me and post them up?

And break the internets??  How about I give you the chart for the most important code you listed.

DTC U0073 or U2100

Diagnostic Instructions

*  Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle (See: Vehicle > Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview > Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle) prior to using this diagnostic procedure.
 *  Review Strategy Based Diagnosis (See: Vehicle > Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview > Strategy Based Diagnosis) for an overview of the diagnostic approach.
 *  Diagnostic Procedure Instructions (See: Vehicle > Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview > Diagnostic Procedure Instructions) provides an overview of each diagnostic category.

DTC Descriptors
DTC U0073 00
 -  Control Module Communication Bus Off

DTC U0073 71
 -  ECU HS Bus Off

DTC U0073 72
 -  ECU LS Bus Off

DTC U2100 00
 -  Controller Area Network (CAN) Bus Communication

DTC U2100 47
 -  Controller Area Network (CAN) Bus Communication

Circuit/System Description

The serial data circuits are serial data buses are used to communicate information between the control modules. The serial data circuits also connect directly to the data link connector (DLC).

Conditions for Running the DTCs

*  Supply voltage at the control modules is in the normal operating range.
 *  The vehicle power mode requires serial data communications.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The control module setting the DTC has attempted to establish communications on the serial data circuits more than 3 times in 5 seconds.

Action Taken When the DTCs Sets

*  The control module suspends all message transmission.
 *  The control module uses default values for all parameters received on the serial data circuits.
 *  In the TCM, DTC U0073 will cause the transmission to go into default gears.
 *  In the ECM and TCM, DTC U0073 will cause the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) to illuminate.
 *  The control module inhibits the setting of all other communication DTCs.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

*  The ECM/TCM modules turn OFF the MIL after 4 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
 *  A current DTC clears when the malfunction is no longer present.
 *  A history DTC clears when the module ignition cycle counter reaches the reset threshold of 50, without a repeat of the malfunction.

From my perspective, those are uncommon faults.  With all the aftermarket programming you've done, I'd start by looking at anything that's been touched in that regard.

ls1adam84 likes this

On 2/2/2018 at 8:53 AM, Ashley P said:

From my perspective, those are uncommon faults.  With all the aftermarket programming you've done, I'd start by looking at anything that's been touched in that regard.

The stabiltrak is a known false positive issue for other issues like bad (pcm) grounds, exhaust vibrations, loose plug wires, loose wiring harness connectors to ignition, loose wire to battery post, etc., will make it go crazy.

Evidently, if you do this, stabiltrak will appear along with all it's lights as well.

There is a Stabilitrak reset routine in the manual:

Stop
Turn off the engine and remove the key from the ignition
Open and close the driver door an wait at least one minute
After a minute has passed, start the engine again.

If there are no stabiltrak related codes, there is no problem.

I was trying to cycle the engine to see if i could get that last sensor (O2) to show ready for emiss testing. I was turning it off, opening the door to make all the electrical shut off inside and removing the key, then re-starting the car.

But the OBD2 connector is f'd up. It doesn't like to make a connection with my Matco scanner, nor the HPTuners connector. The only time it works good is when my AEM wideband conectors are on it and then the HPTuners connector, etc. The AEM wideband connectors fit much tighter on there.

Just taping my OBD2 connector under the dash with my hand made the dash light flash and go crazy. So I need a new one I think. I'll just pull the pins out 1 by 1 and install it in a new OBD2 connector and see if that works.

#ChevyProblems #BadEngineering :shake:

^ And if the OBD connector has issues, I'd question if one of the things you've plugged into it has male terminals that are too large and have spread the OBD females.  Maybe those connectors that "fit good" are actually too large??   I've never seen an OBD II connector bad...don't blame chebby junk for things 'till that's proven.  

Disney likes this

I'm going to go look at a 2018 Mustang GT track pack tomorrow.

I might trade this damn SS off if they talk right.

I just despise wiring issues. I've never been able to find and fix the causes of shorts and other wiring issues. Dealership mechanics usually never fix them and end up causing more problems when they try while charging you out the a$$.

I'm over it.

If I do trade it, there will be a crap load of LS3 mods up for sell if anyone is interested. :yes:

66sprint6 and Tino like this

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

I just despise wiring issues. I've never been able to find and fix the causes of shorts and other wiring issues. Dealership mechanics usually never fix them and end up causing more problems when they try while charging you out the a$$.

I'm over it.

If I do trade it, there will be a crap load of LS3 mods up for sell if anyone is interested. :yes:

If you do, I know someone that will be interested in the LS3 parts

9 minutes ago, mstrpth said:

well that took a turn

Who'd thought by 32k miles the car would be fucked up like this? :shake:

I can't even legally drive it right now because it won't pass emissions so i can get my license tag.  :livid:

Guess this is the final nail in the coffin for me and GM. I've tried them in the past and I gave them another try. They failed. GM vehicles are just too unreliable for me.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Who'd thought by 32k miles the car would be fucked up like this? :shake:

I can't even legally drive it right now because it won't pass emissions so i can get my license tag.  :livid:

Guess this is the final nail in the coffin for me and GM. I've tried them in the past and I gave them another try. They failed. GM vehicles are just too unreliable for me.

A shed fell on my GTO!   GM SUCKS!   (Logical or not?)

18 hours ago, JohnC said:

DO IT!!!  Try out a 15-17 while your at it, you will love it AND they are going cheap too!

Matt

JohnC and mstrpth like this

I haven't had time to hit the stealership.

But when I think about it, I can't abandon ship this fast.

Yes I was super pissed and who wouldn't be!

But I think it is a minor problem.

The OBD2 connection under the dash is probably spazzing out the PCM because a pin is pushed in from the looks of it.

So yeah. I'll try to fix that myself and see what happens before I trade the SS off.

Wish me luck! :meh:

Disney likes this

I hear ya, I dont like to quit either but Ide ditch it quick...only because I LOVE my GT for DD and occasional go quick duties!!!

You can do it!  Either way you go you will have a fun car in the end!

Matt